Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    The Big Bang Theory
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Big Bang Theory
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:
I know some people bought five and six cases and still didn't make a Master set out of the Vampire Diaries.
I'm hoping that is because they're still working out the kinks and not going to be the norm for all the other Cryptozoic sets coming out soon.

That's crazy...I preordered 3 cases of Fringe in hopes I can put together one master set. I hope I'm able to.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Problem is with 20 Auto's and 20 Costume at 1 each per box even with PERFECT collation you will only have 24/40 (60%) of the main chase cards in the set, some of the breakdowns have ended up with dupes making 18/40 (45%) which is very poor. At $700 per case that makes a set VERY expensive and could start putting people off their product. 1 case should be getting (IMO) at least 75-80% of a set and 2 cases should be getting you a Master set.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve Wain
posted Hide Post
Apologies if mentioned before but a few new confirmed signers are now on the website.

Posts: 48 | Location: London | Registered: January 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
According to the date, it's a confirmed list as of February last year Smile

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Problem is with 20 Auto's and 20 Costume at 1 each per box even with PERFECT collation you will only have 24/40 (60%) of the main chase cards in the set, some of the breakdowns have ended up with dupes making 18/40 (45%) which is very poor. At $700 per case that makes a set VERY expensive and could start putting people off their product. 1 case should be getting (IMO) at least 75-80% of a set and 2 cases should be getting you a Master set.

Would someone tell that to topps? Maybe they should just sell master sets, dont even bother boxing the cards. Thought the whole point of packs and boxes and cases was to gamble on the chance of hit multiples of the larger valued cards. Like Gambling. I see just as many breaks with people who got extra hits in their boxes or cases than those who were missing a hit. Those are the chances you take (or gamble) when you buy boxes or cases. Other wise why not just buy the cards off that auction site and not mess with having to open all of those cases, I am sure its way cheaper to do that.

But people would rather gamble and spend more on the chance that they come out ahead, even if the chance (or odds) are not in their favor.

Its like buying a box of lotto tickets and getting upset or disappointed that you came out on the losing end of the odds. Keep in mind odds are averages not guarantee's

(ok sorry if this sounds like a rant or I am singling you out hammer, I am not, just hear things like this so much.)

*to sum things up, if you dont want to gamble, put a set together off that auction site or from a friendly dealer who sells sets rather than cases. Or do a combo of both. Buy a case and trade or buy to finish the set.

Posts: 522 | Location: New York City | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think the problem is more to do with collation for the autos and costumes within each case rather than complaints about not getting big hits or the right number of hits.

With 20 different autos and 20 different costumes in the set there should not be the duplications we are seeing.I believe it's just teething problems for what is still a very young company that will get sorted out in future releases.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MrBlueofnyc:

Would someone tell that to topps? Maybe they should just sell master sets, dont even bother boxing the cards. Thought the whole point of packs and boxes and cases was to gamble on the chance of hit multiples of the larger valued cards. Like Gambling. I see just as many breaks with people who got extra hits in their boxes or cases than those who were missing a hit. Those are the chances you take (or gamble) when you buy boxes or cases. Other wise why not just buy the cards off that auction site and not mess with having to open all of those cases, I am sure its way cheaper to do that.

But people would rather gamble and spend more on the chance that they come out ahead, even if the chance (or odds) are not in their favor.

Its like buying a box of lotto tickets and getting upset or disappointed that you came out on the losing end of the odds. Keep in mind odds are averages not guarantee's

(ok sorry if this sounds like a rant or I am singling you out hammer, I am not, just hear things like this so much.)

*to sum things up, if you dont want to gamble, put a set together off that auction site or from a friendly dealer who sells sets rather than cases. Or do a combo of both. Buy a case and trade or buy to finish the set.

You are TOTALLY missing the point - it's only a gamble if the company states that an auto is 1/10,000 then you are gambling. If there are 20 autos in a set and I buy a case of 12 boxes there should be at least 11 different auto's not 8 with 4 dupes. The collation is poor and there is no excusing it. 20 Auto's should be obtainable in 2 cases or you should only be 1 or 2 short - no question of a gamble etc.. There are a lot of people buying for different reasons and just because Topps is poor doesn't mean that all companies should aspire to that level. I think the comparison with Lotto tickets is a poor comparison to buying Trading cards

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Wain:
Apologies if mentioned before but a few new confirmed signers are now on the website.

Thanks for that.. I looked down below and although it does say 2011 I don't remember this list before:

"Confirmed Autographs as of 2/13/2011

Kaley Cuoco ; Johnny Galecki ; Simon Helberg ; Kunal Nayyar ; Jim Parsons ; Alice Amter ; Brian George ; Courtney Henggeler ; Kevin Sussman ; Laurie Metcalf And more to come!"

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS SET! I wont fault Cryptozoic if they keep coming up with autograph/relic ratio's and quality like that. I would love to see a Capt. Sweatpants auto though Smile.
I find the more they delay the more I want to increase the number I buy.

Posts: 35 | Location: Canada | Registered: December 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Actually some of us enjoy opening boxes, and are not in it to make a buck.

Also this is a company new to this part of trading cards. I know if I were new, and I was trying to make an impression on the collector I would make sure that the odds worked out to be at least what is indicated on the box.

I'm of the opinion that Cryptozoic is very fortunate to have the licenses they do. If they didn't I don't know that I'd support their products after their first two releases. The collation was that bad.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hammer & Chuck

I agree the collation could have been much better, All i meant to say is thats its all a gamble. Did not mean to offend in any way. That being said, I don't think they did it intentionally. BTW Hammer, Trading cards can be a lot like scratch off tickets. I have always thought the box, pack and case formate is a lot like gambling. Like I said, didn't mean to offend anyone. Just giving my thoughts is all

Posts: 522 | Location: New York City | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of watchers of watchers
posted Hide Post
Still no idea when this will be out, but seeing the names added as signers Iam kinda glad I canceled my order, and according to Dave and Adams they were still told the 14th of Feb as of two days ago?

Posts: 330 | Location: th,indiana,usa | Registered: June 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
While I'd love to pull one of the big five signers I'd still be happy if I pulled any of the new additions to the list.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hammer & Chuck

I agree the collation could have been much better, All i meant to say is thats its all a gamble. Did not mean to offend in any way. That being said, I don't think they did it intentionally. BTW Hammer, Trading cards can be a lot like scratch off tickets. I have always thought the box, pack and case formate is a lot like gambling. Like I said, didn't mean to offend anyone. Just giving my thoughts is all

Not offended, just have a different opinion. buying a single box/pack IS a gamble. Buying a case should guarentee the odds stated and should have a decent spread/collation. RA, Breygent seem to get it OK just as inkworks did, Topps are poor (and I wouldn't buy a case of their product) and Cryptozoic are struggling at the moment with collation. We all buy for different reasons - if it is a set I REALLY want I will buy a case in the hope of getting 75-100% of the set and buy the rest elsewhere and I personally don't expect a case to be as big a gamble as a box. That's my view - certainly though Dealers/individuals buying 3 cases of a any normal Non-sport product should expect a master set.

posted Hide Post
I'm getting one case and see how it goes from there. If I'm missing too many of the big names I might try for a few more boxes.

Posts: 97 | Location: United States | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
i don t mind which auto i get either,as long as it's not barry krepke (lol Razz )

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

I won't repeat the whole gambling vs collecting argument, because others responded already and its been discussed in many threads. I would just comment that card dealers, who are trying to earn a profit and are not gambling, only like to break boxes/cases when there is the potential to make more money selling the pieces rather than the whole.

When you can't make a master set in multiple cases, and when the very limited cards people want most are still not of a caliber that would pay for most of the case if you were lucky enough to find one, people are going to stop busting packs. And by people I mean dealers, collectors and gamblers. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not offended, just have a different opinion. buying a single box/pack IS a gamble. Buying a case should guarentee the odds stated and should have a decent spread/collation. RA, Breygent seem to get it OK just as inkworks did, Topps are poor (and I wouldn't buy a case of their product) and Cryptozoic are struggling at the moment with collation. We all buy for different reasons - if it is a set I REALLY want I will buy a case in the hope of getting 75-100% of the set and buy the rest elsewhere and I personally don't expect a case to be as big a gamble as a box. That's my view - certainly though Dealers/individuals buying 3 cases of a any normal Non-sport product should expect a master set.

Unfortunately, I think Rittenhouse is guilty of too many cases for a set too. Look at a set like the upcoming ST:TNG: 7 Extremely Limited (under 200) and 5 Very Limited (200-300) means it may well take 3 or 4 cases to get the right number of EL's and you know you won't get by without some duplication in those.

I believe for the last Bond set it was said the chance of pulling one of the two EL's was 1 in 6 cases.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
quote:

Unfortunately, I think Rittenhouse is guilty of too many cases for a set too. Look at a set like the upcoming ST:TNG: 7 Extremely Limited (under 200) and 5 Very Limited (200-300) means it may well take 3 or 4 cases to get the right number of EL's and you know you won't get by without some duplication in those.

I believe for the last Bond set it was said the chance of pulling one of the two EL's was 1 in 6 cases.

Ed

I did say expect! and at least with RA you know roughly what the numbers are. That is where RA score.

Picture of watchers of watchers
posted Hide Post
Here is a silly question? I was on the Crypto site checking any update for TBB cards and saw on the ordering page it says available in the US only? I didnt see that on the other ordering pages? Is that normal or is that a reason for the delay?

Posts: 330 | Location: th,indiana,usa | Registered: June 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
Anyone know yet how many cards will be in the base set? I've been looking around but don't see that info anywhere.

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post