• (1) Actor Autographed or Sketch Card
• (3) Tracer Comic Art Variant Base Set Cards
• (8) Additional Insert Cards
 Character Profiles
 In-Universe Connections
 Kevin Smith Insights
 Memorable Moments Puzzle Backs

2019 UPPER DECK CHASING AMY MOVIE TRADING CARDS PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS:
• Synopsis: A comic-book writer stumbles upon the love of his life, only to discover that she is gay. The situation is acerbated by his roommate and professional partner who becomes increasingly threatened by the possibility that he will be replaced.
• 100-Card Base Set - Highlighting key moments from the nostalgic 1997 film.
• Discover exclusive insight from writer, director, and actor, Kevin Smith!
• Look for a variety of Actor Autographs, including Dual, Triple, and Quad Actor Autographs!

 Signers include:
• Ben Affleck
• Jason Lee
• Kevin Smith
• Jason Mewes
• Joey Lauren-Adams
• and more!
• Three unique autograph sets!
 Autograph Cards
 Quotable Signatures Cards
 Black & White Cards

• Collect all (9) Memorable Moments Cards to piece together a Jay and Silent Bob Puzzle Back!
• Look for "Colorist" and "Tracer" Sketch Cards!

• CHASE HITS!!
 Trading War Stories Dual Actor Autograph Cards
 Three's a Crowd Triple Actor Autograph Cards
 4-Way Road Quad Actor Autograph Cards

I'm not sure what to think about this one. Clerks was not a big hit at retail or on ePack and it was as close to a complete set as you could hope for.

Positive is they seem to have Affleck signing, so that will drive some sales.

Negative is that the movie was 22 years ago and is there really that much nostalgia for it?

I guess time will tell when May rolls around.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

February 20, 2019, 08:24 AM
webjon
I am certainly glad to see companies producing sets that are 'outside the box' so to speak.

I'll chase the autographs on this, and possibly some of the other cards depending on the design.
February 20, 2019, 05:52 PM
Raven
"Outside the box" or "out of your mind"? Big Grin

It's all cool. More autographs, including the increasingly available Affleck, for those that want them.

I would like to know how/if UD and other card makers consult card buyers or dealers when choosing new projects? Might be a really informative article for NSU to pursue.
February 21, 2019, 02:11 AM
Scifi Cards
Small update to the above information...

Retail should be around $60 for boxes. Definitely less than the average box these days. I was surprised.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

February 21, 2019, 08:19 AM
webjon
Nice! I am surprised as well. That is a significant drop from Clerks, and this has better autographs (at least in terms of celebrity status). Clerks did have 3 'hits' per box, although one was a patch, and this has one hit per box.
February 21, 2019, 10:27 AM
barobehere
I have a friend who sent me the link to this set. His favorite Kevin Smith movie is "Chasing Amy". I know he is thinking about getting a box. I have never seen the movie.
February 21, 2019, 10:55 AM
webjon
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
I have a friend who sent me the link to this set. His favorite Kevin Smith movie is "Chasing Amy". I know he is thinking about getting a box. I have never seen the movie.

Chasing Amy and Mallrats are my 2 favorite Smith films. I haven't seen them in quite a while though and I'm concerned Chasing Amy in particular might not have aged well.
February 21, 2019, 01:48 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
I haven't seen them in quite a while though and I'm concerned Chasing Amy in particular might not have aged well.

Yes, exactly. I have no idea how many card collectors may have asked for this title because its Kevin Smith and was about comic book creators, but to make it into a set in the age of #MeToo and gender politics . . . really?
February 21, 2019, 02:52 PM
webjon
Some other folks have said it has aged well, and there are some articles that talk about it being well regarded to this day:

https://www.themarysue.com/bis...lity-in-chasing-amy/

I personally don't think it is fair to view the past through the lens of today.

Glad to see Upper Deck bringing this set out. . .
February 21, 2019, 03:16 PM
Spencer Quist
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
I haven't seen them in quite a while though and I'm concerned Chasing Amy in particular might not have aged well.

Yes, exactly. I have no idea how many card collectors may have asked for this title because its Kevin Smith and was about comic book creators, but to make it into a set in the age of #MeToo and gender politics . . . really?

Doesn't the film actually address these very subjects? Very much ahead of it's time in that respect. I feel it holds up very well.

February 21, 2019, 04:40 PM
Logan
Ever since I first saw Chasing Amy in 1998 it became and still is my favorite Kevin Smith film. I think it's the best film he's ever made.
February 21, 2019, 04:52 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by Spencer Quist:

Doesn't the film actually address these very subjects? Very much ahead of it's time in that respect. I feel it holds up very well.[/QUOTE]

Very hard to discuss specifics of this film, as there are valid viewpoints from a number of different sides and no one should be offended. I do think it was a product of its time, meant to be an edgy theme, and I will say that I saw it once back then and didn't like it at all for a lot of reasons I won't get into. Perhaps if I watched it again now I might see other shadings in it, but I'll pass. Big Grin

Social commentary aside, the simple question is, does it make for a good card title? How many people asked for it? How many people will buy it?

It probably was a cheap license. Clerks cards did not do well. Chasing Amy seems to be coming out at a substantially reduced price for boxes. Even the quotable signature cards should be a hoot. Just pull up the quotes from Chasing Amy and try to figure out which ones you could possibly put on a card today. Wink

UD is obviously aware that this is aimed at Kevin Smith fans and that's fine.
February 21, 2019, 05:36 PM
Logan
Someone on another forum mentioned that Matt Damon was signing for this. Can anyone confirm that?
February 21, 2019, 08:26 PM
Spencer Quist
I'd certainly be interested in this but being in the UK, I guess I'll just have to keep that interest grounded.

February 21, 2019, 08:53 PM
catskilleagle
You wonder if UD might have even seen it as a Kevin Smith title that would appeal more to women than "Clerks." The success of "Outlander" as a trading card product might have steered them toward taking a chance on it especially since it's a lot less of a risk than predicting a superhero blockbuster. It wasn't the typical "boy and girl holding hands at the end" kind of story so it was a little sad but it had a reality to it. There was an audience for that in the 90's and maybe more of one today. I saw it sometime after it was out on video. I don't remember the lines or scenes - just have a basic memory of it being a good movie.

quote:
quote:

Doesn't the film actually address these very subjects? Very much ahead of it's time in that respect. I feel it holds up very well.

Very hard to discuss specifics of this film, as there are valid viewpoints from a number of different sides and no one should be offended. I do think it was a product of its time, meant to be an edgy theme, and I will say that I saw it once back then and didn't like it at all for a lot of reasons I won't get into. Perhaps if I watched it again now I might see other shadings in it, but I'll pass. Big Grin

Social commentary aside, the simple question is, does it make for a good card title? How many people asked for it? How many people will buy it?

It probably was a cheap license. Clerks cards did not do well. Chasing Amy seems to be coming out at a substantially reduced price for boxes. Even the quotable signature cards should be a hoot. Just pull up the quotes from Chasing Amy and try to figure out which ones you could possibly put on a card today. Wink

UD is obviously aware that this is aimed at Kevin Smith fans and that's fine.[/QUOTE]
February 22, 2019, 08:14 AM
webjon
quote:
I'd certainly be interested in this but being in the UK, I guess I'll just have to keep that interest grounded.

I'm guessing this will be on ePack, which means a lot will likely show up on COMC, and I think COMC ships to the UK. . .
February 22, 2019, 08:22 AM
webjon
quote:
How many people asked for it?

Literally I think every time I've seen a post about 'what licenses should be made into a set' or something similar people post asking for Kevin Smith movies, and it seems that is precisely what UD is producing -- starting with Clerks. . .

I know people keep posting saying Clerks didn't sell well, and maybe that is true from some perspectives, but it sold well enough for UD to continue producing Askewniverse sets. From a fan's perspective the Clerks set was very well done.

The price on Chasing Amy is lower, which is fantastic. This release has 1 hit per box. Clerks was more expensive, but also 3 hits per box. UD seems to be trying to find the sweet spot with set configuration, which makes a lot of sense to me.
February 22, 2019, 11:35 AM
Raven
quote:
quote:
How many people asked for it?

Literally I think every time I've seen a post about 'what licenses should be made into a set' or something similar people post asking for Kevin Smith movies, and it seems that is precisely what UD is producing -- starting with Clerks. . .

Of course Kevin Smith movies may be asked for by some card collectors. He is still popular among a circle of loyal fans for his male-centered, irreverent stories. If that's your cup of tea, fine. Not mine.

Saying they ask for Kevin Smith is not the same as asking for a Chasing Amy set. How many people reading this never saw, or even heard of it? How many had to look it up to see what we are even talking about? This is not a big title and UD knows it. If its a cult classic at a cheap price, I hope the cards sell out. They should.

Still wouldn't change my opinion of the film and I'm not trying to change yours either. I agreed with you when you first said "I'm concerned Chasing Amy in particular might not have aged well". As soon as I agreed with you, you changed your mind and implied I'm viewing the past thru today's lenses. Big Grin

Nope, didn't like it 20 years ago either. I accept your view, please allow me mine. Smile
February 22, 2019, 01:13 PM
webjon
quote:
Nope, didn't like it 20 years ago either. I accept your view, please allow me mine. Smile

You don't like this title, we get it.

Some people do.
February 23, 2019, 09:50 AM
barobehere
I think I may go in on a couple of box with my friend, Trey. Just to try something new and it has been a long time since he and I opened cards together. So, I will keep you in mind webjon when it comes to time to trade! Maybe the three of us can make some sets!