Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Pacific Rim cards from Cryptozoic announced
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pacific Rim cards from Cryptozoic announced
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
That's a pretty comprehensive breakdown CPF and you could also add the way UD jostles around the Marvel autographs between products. A few Thor and Captain America autograph cards got released in the Avengers United boxes rather than with the sets they belonged.

Oh, we both forgot about the Hulk release with the pair of Edward Norton and Lou Ferringo autographs.

Thank you, Raven, I appreciate that. As much I like Upper Deck (and I do collect a lot of their cards), I don't personally (who cares right?) value their autographs the same way I do the ones from Rittenhouse, Breygent, and Cryptozoic as a general rule.

The cards from the other companies are all on card autos, unlike Upper Deck (who went to stickers even well before Topps did), and while I've never doubted the authenticity of an Upper Deck autograph, the company has been beset by some credibility issues in the past that I just don't think allows them the same place on the pedestal I place those other companies I mentioned.

There is seldom any advance word on exactly what will be in any given Upper Deck set and never even the slightest indication of what the production run might be, cards made for one release can indeed wind up in a different one as mentioned, and sorry, an actor signing a sheet of stickers will just never be as good as an actor signing a stack of cards.

Posts: 3326 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
In total agreement about stickers and UD, but that first little Hulk release was done by RA back when it had a Marvel license. All four autograph cards of Norton and Ferringo are on the cards. I could only pick up one of each actor, but they are real pretty.

If only RA had been able to hold on to Marvel, can you imagine the sets that they could have made!

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
In total agreement about stickers and UD, but that first little Hulk release was done by RA back when it had a Marvel license. All four autograph cards of Norton and Ferringo are on the cards. I could only pick up one of each actor, but they are real pretty.

If only RA had been able to hold on to Marvel, can you imagine the sets that they could have made!

Love Norton. That's a great card, and would be even a little better still if he'd stayed on as the Hulk for the current movies. (Ruffalo's terrific, too.)
I've been meaning to start a thread where people can list or show a picture of an autograph card you own that doesn't depict the signer in the role that you most revere them for. For instance, I'd love that Norton Hulk card as is, but for me, the best presentation of it would be on a certified autographed on card pack issued "Fight Club" card. Start thinking it over. I'm sure there are some pretty interesting examples.

Posts: 3326 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
quote:

Love Norton. That's a great card, and would be even a little better still if he'd stayed on as the Hulk for the current movies. (Ruffalo's terrific, too.)
I've been meaning to start a thread where people can list or show a picture of an autograph card you own that doesn't depict the signer in the role that you most revere them for. For instance, I'd love that Norton Hulk card as is, but for me, the best presentation of it would be on a certified autographed on card pack issued "Fight Club" card. Start thinking it over. I'm sure there are some pretty interesting examples.

Like Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow instead of Willy Wonka. Wink

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Exactly what I meant, but Depp's a really tough one for me, because I've liked so much of his work.
I think I'd have to have that signature on an "Ed Wood" or an "Edward Scissorhands" card, even 21 Jump Street would be OK, since that's how he first came to real fame. I'm pretty sure we could get several more preferences for his autograph on a certain card. Nightmare on Elm Street, Donnie Brasco, Sweeney Todd, Fear and Loathing, Platoon, it really does go on and on for him.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
You should start that thread CPF, it would be an interesting exercise to see the posts.

Hypotheticals aside, I don't have any problem with actors signing cards that do not depict their most well known role. The reason is simple, the autograph card is generally going for a lot cheaper and it is the certified signature that I'm after anyway. I prefer that it have a picture of the celebrity, rather than be a cut or just some designed background, but a lesser demand means a lesser price and I need bargains these days. Wink

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'll get a couple of my own "wish they weres" together and start with those and see what we can all come up with.

posted Hide Post
Print run is 299 with a $199 MSRP per binder.

Posts: 79 | Location: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: October 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
What does that Koppell auto look like ? Can someone post a scan ?

Posts: 4007 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sure, here it is. It would've been A2 in the set:

I suppose Don Adams would've been A1 had he agreed to particate. The "Chief", Edward Platt, had long since passed away when the card set was being discussed, but Barbara Feldon as "Agent 99" likely would've been A3. She actually has a very nice on-card autograph as the character in the Inkworks "TV's Coolest Classics" set which predates the abandoned Rittenhouse effort.

Mel Brooks and Buck Henry who co-created the show would have also been some pretty terrific gets, as well.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I noticed that there are actually 3 or 4 of these on the auction sites as we speak. Is this Koppell card not hard to find ?

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I noticed that there are actually 3 or 4 of these on the auction sites as we speak. Is this Koppell card not hard to find ?

I have one and for the life of me I don't remember where I picked it up. I would not have gone out of my way to buy it, so it must have been in a bargain box somewhere, I'm prone to buy any autograph if it is cheap. Maybe it's not so much that there are a lot of these cards, as it is that there is just not a lot of demand. Everyone always says that they want more classic TV cards, but I have noticed that when they do come out, there is only minimal interest in most of them. Wink

Anyway, Koppell must have printed Siegfried on all of these autographs and it's a cute card. It just annoys me that for some reason the card is slightly higher than the standard size. It will fit in a regular 9 pocket page, but the top of the card sticks out over the top of the pocket enough to be exposed, yet it is not a tall-boy size either.

posted Hide Post
Pacific Rim Trading Cards Binder Set

Key Features:

• Based on one of the highest grossing films of 2013
  • Two authentic autograph cards from lead actors
  • Seven authentic wardrobe cards, including rare variants

The battle between the Kaiju and the earth's last hope—the Jaegers and their pilots—is now collectible! The Pacific Rim Trading Cards Binder set features two autograph cards and seven authentic wardrobe cards from director Guillermo del Toro's blockbuster movie.

Product Details:
Release Date: December 10, 2014
MSRP: $199
Print Run: 299
Binder: Full-color 3-ring binder

Autograph Signers:
Charlie Hunnam as Raleigh Becket
Ron Perlman as Hannibal Chau

Wardrobe Cards:
Charlie Hunnam (Raleigh Becket) Blue Pan Pacific Defense Corps wardrobe
Luu triplets (Wei triplets) Red Pan Pacific Defense Corps wardrobe
Clifton Collins Jr. (Tendo Choi)
Rinko Kikuchi (Mako)
Robert Kazinsky (Chuck Hansen)
Charlie Day (Dr. Newt Geiszler)

Gallery:

Pacific Rim Trading Cards Binder Set | Cryptozoic Entertainment

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SerialKilnWalkr,

Posts: 79 | Location: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: October 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Darth Vader Fan
posted Hide Post
I would have really liked a Charlie Day autograph for this set. I will probably get one of the binders even though it has no base set with it.

Posts: 1018 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Darth Vader Fan:
I would have really liked a Charlie Day autograph for this set. I will probably get one of the binders even though it has no base set with it.

I concur about the Charlie Day autograph.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SerialKilnWalkr:
quote:
Originally posted by Darth Vader Fan:

I concur about the Charlie Day autograph.

I double concur...adding I really could use Rinko Kikuchi's autograph also.

Posts: 526 | Location: nj | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Official release date December 10, 2014

Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
With all the cool Jaggers and Kaiju in the film, they pick that image for the binder?

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Yeah, If I did not know about Pacific Rim and asked what it was about based on the binder image I would say it was a 90's buddy cop action flick. She is the angry cop whose former partner was shot/stabbed/blown up with a chip on her shoulder and he is the rookie who was transfer to her. Together they bond while fighting a local drug cartel.

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I would say it was a new version of a Doctor Who type with the lightning meaning time travel or space travel. The female is the boss and the pretty boy is the sidekick, but it is a serious business. Big Grin