Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Pacific Rim cards from Cryptozoic announced
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pacific Rim cards from Cryptozoic announced
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Projected release date: 12/10/2014

2014 Cryptozoic Pacific Rim Trading Card Binder Set delivers (1) Exclusive Graphic Binder, (2) Autograph Cards signed by Charlie Hunnam (Raleigh Becket) and Ron Perlman ( Hannibal Chau) and (7) Wardrobe Cards in Every Binder Set.

2014 Cryptozoic Pacific Rim Trading Card Binder Set - Go GTS

2014 Cryptozoic Pacific Rim Trading Card Binder Set PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS:

• (2) Autograph Cards signed by Charlie Hunnam (Raleigh Becket) and Ron Perlman ( Hannibal Chau)

• (7) Wardrobe Cards – seven authentic wardrobe cards featuring several cast members, with rare variants

• Blue and Red Pan Pacific Defense Corps – wardrobe worn by Charlie Hunnam (Raleigh Becket) and the Luu triplets (Wei triplets)

• Additional wardrobe cards worn by Rinko Kikuchi (Mako), Robert Kazinsky (Chuck Hansen) and Charlie Day (Dr. Newt Geiszler)

• (1) Exclusive Full-Color Graphics 3-Ring Binder

Silver Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    A binder with no base set to put in it? That's a first. Confused

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Diamond Card Talk Member
    Picture of Raven
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Logan:
    A binder with no base set to put in it? That's a first. Confused

Oh it gets better. That link goes to a wholesale site that seems to be for dealers. It looks like the purchase is for 10 binders with 9 card "sets" as a minimum lot. Can't figure out where there is a price. I predict that these cards will show up on that auction site sooner rather than later and only the Hunnam autograph is likely to garner the interest.

Posts: 10376 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Silver Card Talk Member
    Picture of Jason00
    posted Hide Post
    Maybe they have already produced the binders so they feel like they have to sell them? I don't know who would actually buy this, but I have to admit that I would be tempted if Rinko Kikuchi signed (and if the autograph design was a little less ugly) since I collect autographs from Oscar nominees.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Gold Card Talk Member
    Picture of chesspieceface
    posted Hide Post
    Those are some good looking actors on that binder, but c'mon, man! This is "Pacific Rim". That binder should be covered with giant robots and monsters, not two people staring at a camera...

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Diamond Card Talk Member
    Picture of Raven
    posted Hide Post
    Well a release like this is very similar to what they did for The Green Hornet movie, where there were two separate, small groups of card "sets" with one autograph each and a few costume cards. At the time pre-sales indicated that the product wasn't selling and then the film bombed, so it all got scaled back from what was originally supposed to be traditional boxes.

Rumor had it that the Pacific Rim set was flat out cancelled, but I guess they had these autos in hand, so why not try to get out something for the money? I just don't know how this is going to get distributed so fast, or what it will cost. The only draw is the Hunnam autograph as far as I'm concerned.

Posts: 10376 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Silver Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    According to a post on another forum the MSRP is $199.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Platinum Card Talk Member
    Picture of Scifi Cards
    posted Hide Post
    These must have been what they had produced when the plug was pulled. Only way they will get released so fast. And I was NOT told I had to order in quantities of 10 at a time. There's just a better price if you order 10. Smile

And yes, the SRP is $199.00. Friendly dealers should have it for around $179.00 though, if you know who to talk to.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Gold Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Raven:
    Well a release like this is very similar to what they did for The Green Hornet movie, where there were two separate, small groups of card "sets" with one autograph each and a few costume cards. At the time pre-sales indicated that the product wasn't selling and then the film bombed, so it all got scaled back from what was originally supposed to be traditional boxes.

Rumor had it that the Pacific Rim set was flat out cancelled, but I guess they had these autos in hand, so why not try to get out something for the money? I just don't know how this is going to get distributed so fast, or what it will cost. The only draw is the Hunnam autograph as far as I'm concerned.

The Green Hornet set was from Rittenhouse. I think this is the first set like this from Cryptozoic but if they continue buying the rights to so many marginal shows and movies it won't be the last.

It makes financial sense for them to recoup as much back from the amount they paid for the rights but I would be surprised if it sells out at that price point. I suspect anyone who wants it could wait a few months and pick it up for around $100 off Ebay.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Diamond Card Talk Member
    Picture of Raven
    posted Hide Post
    Green Hornet was from RA, I did not mean to imply it was a CZE product, just that they took the same idea from it.

This idea is also similar to those small expansion sets released for Conan and the Dead Zone (not CZE), except that they were groupings of only autographs.

Gold Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    This is definitely the Rittenhouse model for at least recouping some of the costs for "hits" already in hand for a set that was ultimately cancelled.

It happened more recently with the set for the new "Spider-Man" movie. The set that was sold was an Andrew Garfield autograph and some costume cards. Clearly, they'd been originally intended for a full set that was wisely cancelled, given the luke-warm reception to both of the new Spider-Man films. I'm thinking recent autographs for the "Spider-Man" 1967 cartoon series and "The Brady Bunch" were also originally intended to be part of a proper set.

There was also a Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto set of autographs that were almost certainly intended for the "Star Trek Into Darkness" set that didn't happen.

You have to figure the autographs from the "True Blood 2014" set were originally intended to come with something more than the small 20 card regular set they was issued with.

Going back a bit, besides the "Conan" and "Dead Zone" cards Raven mentioned, there was a second Robert Downey, Jr. autograph card (the one showing him, presumably, in the armor) that was, I think, originally intended for Rittenhouse's set for Iron Man 2, but Upper Deck decided to release that one (and the Iron Man 3 set) instead, so the Rittenhouse card was an orphan, and eventually issued on its own. I think there was a variant Tobey Maguire "Spider-Man" autograph card that was sold separately (with some prop cards), too.

Finally, there was a "Six Feet Under" two autograph set (Lily Taylor and Jeremy Sisto) that was sold directly once plans for the follow up to the premiere series fell through.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
    Picture of Raven
    posted Hide Post
    That's a pretty comprehensive breakdown CPF and you could also add the way UD jostles around the Marvel autographs between products. A few Thor and Captain America autograph cards got released in the Avengers United boxes rather than with the sets they belonged.

Oh, we both forgot about the Hulk release with the pair of Edward Norton and Lou Ferringo autographs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Silver Card Talk Member
    Picture of Ryan Cracknell
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by chesspieceface:
    This is definitely the Rittenhouse model for at least recouping some of the costs for "hits" already in hand for a set that was ultimately cancelled.

It happened more recently with the set for the new "Spider-Man" movie. The set that was sold was an Andrew Garfield autograph and some costume cards. Clearly, they'd been originally intended for a full set that was wisely cancelled, given the luke-warm reception to both of the new Spider-Man films. I'm thinking recent autographs for the "Spider-Man" 1967 cartoon series and "The Brady Bunch" were also originally intended to be part of a proper set.

There was also a Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto set of autographs that were almost certainly intended for the "Star Trek Into Darkness" set that didn't happen.

You have to figure the autographs from the "True Blood 2014" set were originally intended to come with something more than the small 20 card regular set they was issued with.

Going back a bit, besides the "Conan" and "Dead Zone" cards Raven mentioned, there was a second Robert Downey, Jr. autograph card (the one showing him, presumably, in the armor) that was, I think, originally intended for Rittenhouse's set for Iron Man 2, but Upper Deck decided to release that one (and the Iron Man 3 set) instead, so the Rittenhouse card was an orphan, and eventually issued on its own. I think there was a variant Tobey Maguire "Spider-Man" autograph card that was sold separately (with some prop cards), too.

Finally, there was a "Six Feet Under" two autograph set (Lily Taylor and Jeremy Sisto) that was sold directly once plans for the follow up to the premiere series fell through.

I can't speak for Rittenhouse as I don't know why they release in the formats that they do, but the Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Man Animated and Brady Bunch sets were never offered as full releases then switched to the smaller sets. RA was up front that there would be a larger ST: Into Darkness set too. That small set let them get something out there in time for the film's release. That would make it tough to say that it was because of lack of interest.

It could be due to a lack of usable assets, autograph signers, what it would cost versus returns even in a best-case scenario or a bunch of different factors. Again, I'm not privy to that. I'm sure that it was the case in some instances where there were hopes to have something bigger, but I'm not sure it's fair to say that's the case with all of them.

Find me on:
    Twitter
    Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Gold Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    It's just hard to figure why they bother with these smaller sets. It must be a lot of work for very little profit. I don't know what it is, but these separately issued cards somehow just aren't quite the same as the ones from a proper hobby box or even premium box or premium pack release.

That said, I love the Conan "expansion" set, which I'm just about positive was supposed to accompany a full set. One pretty cool thing was that if you bought enough of those, you got a incentive Schwarzenegger as Conan cut signature card (that had pretty been clearly cut from Mr. Freeze cards from the Skybox set based on the worst Batman movie ever made, the by which pretty much all other super-hero bombs are measured against to determine their overall awfulness). Talk about an upgrade that autograph got!

Finally, I've got an authentic Rittenhouse autograph of Bernie Koppell (most famous as Doc on "Love Boat") who is pictured on the card as Siegfried from "Get Smart". Does anyone know which (presumably abandoned) set was supposed to be a part of? Are there any others?

Silver Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

Finally, I've got an authentic Rittenhouse autograph of Bernie Koppell (most famous as Doc on "Love Boat") who is pictured on the card as Siegfried from "Get Smart". Does anyone know which (presumably abandoned) set was supposed to be a part of? Are there any others?

It was supposed to be a "Get Smart" retrospective set. Apparently when they couldn't get Don Adams to participate Rittenhouse cancelled the set. I found an old thread about it on their site here:

http://www.scifihobby.com/bboa...ead.cfm?threadid=454

Silver Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by chesspieceface:

It's just hard to figure why they bother with these smaller sets. It must be a lot of work for very little profit. I don't know what it is, but these separately issued cards somehow just aren't quite the same as the ones from a proper hobby box or even premium box or premium pack release. QUOTE]

I'm in complete agreement and that's the one thing I always whine about. And my main gripe is with the repeat signers who already have pack-inserted cards like Tobey Maguire, Downey, Jackman, Pine/Quinto, etc. The ones being sold individually never hold their value or are in demand as much as their pack-inserted counterparts. I wish that all cards end up in packs like they're supposed to be. But I do realize that's not always possible.

Silver Card Talk Member
    Picture of Jake
    posted Hide Post
    How do you design a Pacific Rim binder and NOT have Gypsy Danger on it? The movie is a Mech/Monster movie not something that looks like it should have been a CSI set

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bronze Card Talk Member
    Picture of mintoncard
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Those are some good looking actors on that binder, but c'mon, man! This is "Pacific Rim". That binder should be covered with giant robots and monsters, not two people staring at a camera...

That is exactly what I thought as soon as I saw it! Gypsy Danger front and center! What gives, Cryptozoic?

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Gold Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:

It was supposed to be a "Get Smart" retrospective set. Apparently when they couldn't get Don Adams to participate Rittenhouse cancelled the set. I found an old thread about it on their site here:

http://www.scifihobby.com/bboa...ead.cfm?threadid=454

Thanks a million for that, Logan, now I know. For those who don't want to read the thread the link takes you to, the Kopell card I mentioned was the first card in a planned "Get Smart" set that fell by the wayside when star Don Adams decided not to sign. Rittenhouse sent them free to dealers to give to one of their customers who they thought would enjoy having it. Pretty cool way to distribute those, but Rittenhouse is a class organization, always has been.

In that same thread, there's also this about the Munsters cards from Steve Charendoff himself:

"...in fact, Munsters is on our schedule for October 2004 (in time for Halloween), and this will be a thorough retrospective of the entire show. I'm very excited. All of the living stars have agreed to sign cards."

I don't remember a set for that, but the autographs and sketch cards commissioned for it eventually were sold as a group, so there's another that seems to have fizzled out after the chase was created but before the base set and regular inserts could be done. Shame, that's another I'd have liked at least a box or two of.

Gold Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    I'm in complete agreement and that's the one thing I always whine about. And my main gripe is with the repeat signers who already have pack-inserted cards like Tobey Maguire, Downey, Jackman, Pine/Quinto, etc. The ones being sold individually never hold their value or are in demand as much as their pack-inserted counterparts. I wish that all cards end up in packs like they're supposed to be. But I do realize that's not always possible.

Well, in the case of the Downey, the second card is just a picture of some armor. It could be anyone in there, or even just be a pure CGI picture. The pack issued Downey is a picture of Downey himself in full Tony Stark confident b*stard mode.
    The signatures are nice on both cards which are probably equally limited, but be honest, which one would the average collector rather have? They should've used a picture of Downey in the armor with his faceplate up or helmet off for the second card.