Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Pacific Rim cards from Cryptozoic announced
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pacific Rim cards from Cryptozoic announced
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted
I'd heard about these months ago, but they finally have them officially up in their trading card section of their website. Some key inserts:

Inserts: Autograph cards (1:24 packs) and Wardrobe and Props cards (1:24 packs)

Autograph Signers (Signers in Bold have returned cards, Signers with an * are under contract): Ron Perlman*, Burn Gorman as Gottlieb*, Max Martini as Herc Hansen*, Brad William Henke as Miles*, Diego Klattenhoff as Yancy*, and Larry Joe Campbell as Tommy*

Posts: 1186 | Location: USA | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
Charlie Hunnam must not be willing to sign for them, since he isn't listed here or on Sons of Anarchy. I don't have much interest in this set even though I really liked the movie a lot, but I was hoping for a Charlie Day autograph card.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
Nothing like being a little late to the party. Not only is the movies theatrical release a distant memory, but it's even been out on dvd for a while now. So much for striking while the iron is hot.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason00:
Charlie Hunnam must not be willing to sign for them, since he isn't listed here or on Sons of Anarchy. I don't have much interest in this set even though I really liked the movie a lot, but I was hoping for a Charlie Day autograph card.

Neither list of signers is finalized yet.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Charlie Hunnam is a good signer through the mail. If you are looking for his autograph.

Posts: 526 | Location: nj | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Obi Wan Chrisobi:
Nothing like being a little late to the party. Not only is the movies theatrical release a distant memory, but it's even been out on dvd for a while now. So much for striking while the iron is hot.

This seems to be a common tactic now, look at Star Trek Into Darkness and Enders Game.

The best part is that the card set can now include photos and text that covers the whole storyline. Not like before when the last card was still in the middle of the movie.

However it has to be a really good movie or its just going to be stale and forgotten about.

Star Trek should do alright because its still Star Trek. Pacific Rim was pretty well received, but may have a problem without the lead actors. Enders Game was a bomb as far as I can tell, bad reviews, little press. I'm not surprised because that novel may be interesting to a young reader, but I thought the story was quite flawed. Anyway I'm not sure if its even worth making cards at this point, so I agree with you, its not always better late than never. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
At this point wouldn't it be better to hold the set back until Pacific Rim 2 comes out? Use it as a lead in for the next film? Granted it'll be at least 2 years probably because of the graphics but at least it would have better attention then.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
At this point wouldn't it be better to hold the set back until Pacific Rim 2 comes out? Use it as a lead in for the next film? Granted it'll be at least 2 years probably because of the graphics but at least it would have better attention then.

Has there been talk of a sequel? I did watch the movie myself and enjoyed it, but I did not think it did all that well at the box office to warrant a sequel. Not that I will complain if there is.

Posts: 49 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: July 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry609:

Has there been talk of a sequel? I did watch the movie myself and enjoyed it, but I did not think it did all that well at the box office to warrant a sequel. Not that I will complain if there is.

Nothing official, but don't be surprised if there is. While it was considered a disappointment in North America, it played very well internationally, particularly in China.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
Yea I would expect 1. It did mediocre domestic, but everywhere else it was huge.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doc Floyd
posted Hide Post
Charlie Hunnam has been added as under contract to sign.

Posts: 147 | Location: NC | Registered: October 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
News on the street from a usually reliable source...

Pacific Rim cards have been cancelled.

Does not really surprise me. They didn't have any autos marked as returned when it disappeared from the website.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
With all the people who we knew from the trading card side of Cryptozoic gone I'm not surprised, and I don't think this would have been a decent seller anyway. I hope they still continue to produce quality sets like Walking Dead and Big Bang.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So this is the second marginal set just cancelled by CZE, a new season of Fringe looking like the other one. With heavy allocations and limited runs put on WD and BBT I don't get how they expect to generate enough revenue to offset what looks like poor management decisions. No surprises here indeed.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
So this is the second marginal set just cancelled by CZE, a new season of Fringe looking like the other one. With heavy allocations and limited runs put on WD and BBT I don't get how they expect to generate enough revenue to offset what looks like poor management decisions. No surprises here indeed.

Actually, this could be signalling a smart change for CZE. A willingness to cut their losses and cancel a set. It would be much more costly just to produce it and hope it sells.

Time will tell I guess...

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

Actually, this could be signalling a smart change for CZE. A willingness to cut their losses and cancel a set. It would be much more costly just to produce it and hope it sells.

Yikes. . . I'd hate to see this turn into a situation where no companies are taking risks on licenses. I think that the timing of this release being so far from the movie is a death knell for the set -- but they did have a solid autograph line up set. . . and there are definitely fans of the big monster genre.

I hope the recent online sales of Walking Dead have signaled that Crypto is looking at their distribution model again. . . To your previous point I think a lot of people wait to order because they know boxes prices for most sets will drop after release . . . which is seemingly due to large retailers ordering piles of cards they don't want in order to secure Walking Dead. . . Ultimately I think that is very detrimental to their brand. . .

There are a number of really nice Crypto releases that are far cheaper than they would be if they weren't being dumped by a few retailers.

A change is definitely in the air. . . I hope it's not an over correction. . . or one day we could be lamenting these as 'the good old days.'

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
quote:

Time will tell I guess...

Ed

Oh I agree with you Ed, that's why a called them marginal sets. Better to cut and run than throw good money after bad if you know the cards won't move. My comment was more about the mishandling of WD and BBT than the cancelling of sets.

CZE has to drop its restrictive distribution system and take a lesson from RA, who knows how to manage franchise titles. Make enough product for the demand, sign up more outlets not less, and keep retail box prices around $80.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Psych follow-up has also disappeared from their website as well.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any info on the next Sons of Anarchy set? The last release was exceptionally well done.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
So let me understand this correctly.

A "marginal" set was cancelled that had a release date well after the movie was released.

All the "card people" are gone from CZE.

And people are surprised by all of this?

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post