Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Avengers Assemble cards from Upper Deck
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Avengers Assemble cards from Upper Deck
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted
Surprised this hasn't hit the news yet. My suppliers have started taking orders on the Avengers movie set already, for a late March release...

quote:
Marvel Avengers Assemble Movie Cards
(SRP-$3.99 pack, $95.76 box)
12(2 inner cases) boxes per case /24 Packs per box /7 Cards per pack
Orders Due: 12-5-11 Release Date: 3-27-12

Key Selling Points: Every box delivers a hand drawn one of one sketch card, on average! Look for actor autographs and pieces of memorabilia that came directly from costumes shown in the movie! One Hobby Exclusive Insert in every pack, on average! The 180 card base set and insert sets highlight the critical moments from Iron Man 1 & 2, Hulk, Thor, and Captain America as well as detailing the Avengers storyline.

CONTENT HIGHLIGHTS:
• Avengers Assemble chronicles all the movies and events that lead up to the Avengers movie and includes your first look at the Avengers movie itself.
o Get 7 cards in every pack that features images and scenes from the movie!
o Cast includes top actors like:
Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man)
Chris Evans (Captain America)
Chris Hemsworth (Thor)
Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow)
Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury)
Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye)
Mark Ruffalo (Bruce Banner)
And more!
• ONE SKETCH CARD PER BOX!
• Look for actor autographs and pieces of memorabilia that came directly from costumes shown in the movie!

PRODUCT BREAKDOWN:
• Avengers Movie Memorabilia and Autograph Cards!
o Avengers Assemble Memorabilia Cards
o Autograph Cards
• Unique Marvel Sketch Cards!
o Artist Sketch Cards - inserted 1 per box, on average
• Insert Cards! (Hobby Exclusive)
o 36 Classic Covers inserted 1:2.5
o 60 Heroes and Villains inserted 1:2
o 9 Concept Series inserted 1:10
• Regular Cards
o 180 Regular Cards

24 packs of 7 cards per box

Now, I believe they are pulling the same bait and switch by telling you there will be autographs from actors and then listing the actors in the movie. Even though those statements are not in any way connected. There was this image in the solicitation:

Another thing I felt was a little out of whack was the SRP. I know nobody pays SRP, but my cost is $10 a box more than Thor and Captain America which means real retail will be higher too. Now, if they are guaranteeing a sketch per box... Maybe it's worth it, but still that's a big jump in price for a set that will take at least 2 boxes to make a base set.

Is the higher price a direct relationship to the content, or is it possibly a result of less competition by having only authorized dealers able to buy it in the first place? Curious to see what others think.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
It's great to tell us the cast, but how about they tell us exactly who've they've got autographs from. What's that you say, "Fat chance." Big Grin
I'm definitely going to need more info before laying down more hard earned cash for a UD product.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Upper Deck is still using its sports cards tactics to sell non-sports cards Shake Head .

Even if they get main cast members to sign they will be stickers and inserted one in five cases.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
Meh. Knowing that even if they do get decent signers they will be stickers puts me off of buying boxes. I will, however, pick up a Cobie Smulders auto if there is one.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My attention was immediately drawn to two statements in the release:

Every box delivers a hand drawn one of one sketch card, on average!

and

One Hobby Exclusive Insert in every pack, on average!

The 'on average' qualifier suggests to me that there are going to be quite a lot of dud boxes and packs for which there will be no comeback as the content is not guaranteed. That's definitely a bit of bait and switch Frown

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if a see the words Upper and deck??that means no purchase from me.i can honestly say i dont even own one single card by these cowboys!!

Posts: 182 | Location: runcorn | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man that ScarJo mockup is beautiful though...sticker or on card doesn't matter.

Is it worth the gamble to pre order a case and hope that there is a SHOT she actually makes the set?

Posts: 131 | Location: USA | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
I hope UD learn hopefully from they pass Marvel Movie products.

Can't wait for this one!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
SRP $95.76 a box? These things better be LOADED!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I would actually be shocked if the Scarlett Johansson auto actually makes it into the product.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ra$
posted Hide Post
WOW i am in a totally shock right now how did UD pull it off getting a Scarlett Johansson if indeed is true?

I dont beileve it till i see it as UD let me down so many time, dont even bother i missed the other marvel movie set Thor and Captain.

Raz

Posts: 97 | Location: London, UK | Registered: September 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
quote:

At this price I hope Scarlett Johansson and other top actors will be in the Autograph release!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ra$
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archifou:
quote:

At this price I hope Scarlett Johansson and other top actors will be in the Autograph release!

Dont forget that auto are inserted one in five cases!!!

Posts: 97 | Location: London, UK | Registered: September 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I do like the design of the autos if that's what they look like, but at 1:5 cases you know they are going to be crazy expensive. If they get most of the main cast I'll probably try to put together the auto set anyway.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ra$:
quote:
Originally posted by archifou:
quote:

Dont forget that auto are inserted one in five cases!!!

Just wanted to clarify that this is my guess at the insertion ratios, it is not something I know for a fact.

I would not be surprised if that is a close guess for a Scarlett auto though Smile .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Autographs in Thor and Captain America were 1:Case on average. I would guess the insertion rate would be the same for this. No way it is 1:5 cases

Posts: 131 | Location: USA | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cmcdjj37
posted Hide Post
Forget putting Scarlett's autograph in the case, how about putting Scarlett in there! Big Grin

Posts: 209 | Location: Castle Rock, Colorado | Registered: July 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
Bumping up the sketch ratio is a clear sign that their much vaunted Marvel Beginnings was a bit of a flop

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tangent:
Bumping up the sketch ratio is a clear sign that their much vaunted Marvel Beginnings was a bit of a flop

I think you're being too kind, Thor, Marvel Beginnings 1, Captain America and especially Kree Skrull War have been disappointing releases. Yes it's debatable and there have been some good points to these sets (MB I thought had a good base and chase set but the big hits were lacking).

If this product isn't loaded for the increased price just how long can Upperdeck keep pumping the market?

Posts: 121 | Location: London | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DeathStorm:
I think you're being too kind, Thor, Marvel Beginnings 1, Captain America and especially Kree Skrull War have been disappointing releases.

I'll go you one better and say that calling them disappointing is kind. Big Grin

UD has squandered its chance to do something good with the Marvel license in every set this year. I expect nothing more from this one.

Posts: 10371 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post