Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Gene Hackman Hoosiers Autographs in 2017 Topps Series 1 Baseball

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/955604453/m/3657033586

January 26, 2017, 08:01 PM
Ryan Cracknell
Gene Hackman Hoosiers Autographs in 2017 Topps Series 1 Baseball
It looks like Gene Hackman has autographs in 2017 Topps Series 1 Baseball for Hoosiers -- complete with the woodgrain design of 1987 Topps.

http://www.beckett.com/news/is...2017-topps-series-1/

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook
January 27, 2017, 04:17 PM
barobehere
Oh wow!
January 27, 2017, 05:07 PM
Raven
Bit confused by this one.

First of all, Hossiers is about basketball, so including it in a baseball set has no connection.

Second, is it confirmed that a Hackman autograph is in it? All it says is that Hackman's character's name was seen on the checklist. So are we speculating or have we been told as fact?

Third and final, if it is fact, shouldn't TOPPS be going out of its way to advertise such a good autograph? Shouldn't that be something they want everyone, even non-sport card collectors, to know about? Or are we talking about such rarity that it doesn't pay to advertise the cards?

Hackman autographs would be great and Hoosiers has a following to this day.
February 11, 2017, 01:45 PM
WandringRebel
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Bit confused by this one.

First of all, Hossiers is about basketball, so including it in a baseball set has no connection.

Second, is it confirmed that a Hackman autograph is in it? All it says is that Hackman's character's name was seen on the checklist. So are we speculating or have we been told as fact?

Third and final, if it is fact, shouldn't TOPPS be going out of its way to advertise such a good autograph? Shouldn't that be something they want everyone, even non-sport card collectors, to know about? Or are we talking about such rarity that it doesn't pay to advertise the cards?

Hackman autographs would be great and Hoosiers has a following to this day.

They are several of the autograph card currently up for auction so I think we can say it's confirmed. Smile
Topps doesn't have the license for basketball cards, although I think it would make more sense for them to have put this in Allen & Ginter, or one of their other sets that has non-baseball related cards.

February 11, 2017, 04:27 PM
chesspieceface
Welp, it's a $400+ card right out of the gate. We'll see if that holds. I'd love one for my "Young Frankenstein" collection, but it ain't gonna happen at that price. Luckily, I always buy a couple of boxes of the the Topps flagship baseball set anyway, so maybe, highly unlikely, but maybe, I can get one the old fashioned way...

February 11, 2017, 06:44 PM
Raven
I'd like to know if anyone has any idea how many were made? I think that would be a big consideration because I find it hard to justify that price, but that's nothing new. Signatures of people I never heard of in cheap WB shows are worth $250 on cards. Wink

Just as a comparison, I would put Gene Hackman on somewhat a similar level as Kevin Spacey. Last I heard Spacey's Superman autograph was over $800. Honestly I don't know if any really trade for that much, put that was the line at one time. So if Hackman is as limited as Spacey, maybe this is really a bargain. Big Grin
February 20, 2017, 01:43 PM
chesspieceface
Well, my two jumbo boxes ($190) produced about $100 worth of cards, if that, and the pair of autographs it yielded were of baseball players, the nerve! Big Grin

This is basically the first (and best distributed) set issued for the upcoming baseball season. Based upon the tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of boxes that are being cracked and how few Hackmans have surfaced so far, it must be a very rare card indeed.