Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Dr Who Big Screen Additions Mono - Strictly Ink
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dr Who Big Screen Additions Mono - Strictly Ink
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of john the hat
posted Hide Post
2nd sketch in looks like stan laurel

Posts: 1115 | Location: England | Registered: March 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paul hart
posted Hide Post
thats another fine mess youve got yourself into john!!! lol Big Grin

Posts: 353 | Location: uk | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of john the hat
posted Hide Post
1st one looks like Roger Daltry

Posts: 1115 | Location: England | Registered: March 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
Lovely sketches as always Ingrid and I love that Dr Who set you did with Chris Henderson and Don Pedicini Jr Thumb Up.

Posts: 748 | Location: UK | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Doctor Jas:
No definitely aimed at me, I suppose it's different if the artists choose to post their sketches on here I presume that's not 3rd party advertising Confused, but I got to confess, when the artists showed their fabulous sketches on here for Star Wars Galaxy 4, it certainly made me (and possibly numerous others)order a couple of cases so I suppose it could have been seen as a good advert for Topps.
[QUOTE]

Again, the difference is that Topps, Upper Deck, Rittenhouse, Brygent, Press Pass etc all support NSU with advertising dollars. Barrie, has not...period...end of story. Mix that in with the fact that on many releases, the best sketches have been sold on their other website and/or held our for year boxes and you will see why many of us do not feel the need to support Barrie's company.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
I didn't want to start any sort of argument, I just wanted to make the point that I shouldn't be made to feel guilty for posting a couple of sketches. I hope I don't upset anyone when I post my box breakdowns for this set, if so I'll apologise now.

Posts: 748 | Location: UK | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Nor should you feel guilty for promoting a non-advertiser. Give me a break. Mad

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Essex girls need all the support they can get just to stand up. Big Grin

Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Jas:
I hope I don't upset anyone when I post my box breakdowns for this set, if so I'll apologise now.
There will be at least two of us posting on that thread, so you you will have some support Wavey I got my first promo card for the set, PR2, and flyer sheet (not sure what the correct term for this is) which showed four really nice new sketch cards from the set. I'm genuinely looking forward to getting my boxes for this Thumb Up

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Totally OT question for Batman:

I just noticed your avatar piccie. Very nice. Part of a classic illustration from The June 23rd 1951 edition of The Saturday Evening Post used to illustrate Ray Bradbury's short story 'The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms'. This was made into one of Ray Harryhausen's most famous early films of the same name. I have an original copy of this magazine in my collection:

So, are you a fan or did you just like the image ?

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
What a great piece to have in your collection Kevin Metal

Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
It's a shame when artists feel they have to take they're work off the site because of some people's comments Shake Head

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jason Wright,

Picture of Dalekfan
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a shame when artists feel they have to take they're work off the site because of some people's comments.

Well said. Thumb Up

Posts: 449 | Location: West Yorkshire | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did think the same, particularly with the artist supporting the board by advertising in the artists section. Seems to me to be a bit like dual standards, you can't critisise a company who advertises but you can an artist...

Why is that?

Posts: 277 | Location: Hell, England | Registered: December 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
It all comes down to selling. If an artist came here and said that he/she was selling sketch cards, either for a set or of their own design, that would not be permitted. However, if an artist came here to show a sample of cards that he/she did as part of an upcoming manufacturing set, that would be permitted.

The same works with manufacturers. There are/were manufacturers who actively support NSU (and thereby Card Talk, by the way) with advertising. They will occasionally come here to promote or give updates of upcoming products.

Then there are manufacturers who do not support NSU (again, who OWNS this Card Talk site), yet feel they can still come here and promote their products. How is it fair to allow them to do so, when they do not support the very company whose message boards they're using? And how is that fair to those manufacturers who actively support NSU?

We've come to take Card Talk for granted. We simply expect that it will be here everytime we come here. But this site isn't free for NSU to operate. For them to pay for this site that we use for free, they must get the money from somewhere. That money comes mostly from advertising. By supporting those who advertise in NSU, we support NSU (and Card Talk). That's why my business and money goes to those who support NSU.

You're using Card Talk right now, so don't you want to also support NSU via their advertisers?

You are ABSOLUTELY correct Kennywood. Thanks for your support.

At the same time, I don't want any artists to get mixed up in the politics of it all or be chastised for working on a particular set. In that respect, I do feel bad for anyone who may have gotten their feelings hurt or feel like they need to go elsewhere.

It's a fine line. As Kennywood says, we pay for forum hosting services and it's only here by magazine sales, subscriptions, and advertising.

Maybe we ought to move on?

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
For anyone interested in finding out more about the artists and artwork in this release, one of the sketch artists has started a thread over on the Scoundrel Art Community Forums:

http://scoundrelpublishing.com...rt/viewforum.php?f=6

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BILLZEE:
quote:
I hope he is in discussion with NSU over advertising

I hope so too... He certainly gets alot of free advertising on this site (either directly or through 3rd party CardTalk members) Ahem...

I take it you're referring to little old me?? Wink

Well you see over here on the little island known as the United Kingdom we only one one card manufacturer who releases 2 or 3 sets a year. So we do (or I do at least) get a little excited when we get a release that's not going to cost an arm and a leg to get to our front doors. And as Justm correctly states, we must support our local artists as it's probably not so easy for UK artists to break into the marketplace.

Over here in the UK Doctor Who has a big following and if Barrie, knowing I'm a big fan of all things Dr Who decides to send me a preview of the sketches, why should I not share them with other fans? Should I take them to other forums and not share them here? Or am I blatently showing support for the only card manufacturer we have in this country and support for UK artists?

Yes I am Big Grin

You know what, ethics and good business practice should be words that we associate with manufacterers within this industry. It has nothing to do with there only being one manufacturer in the UK it has much more to do with the way in which that company handles its business. As to releasing only 2-3 sets a year well ok I guess if you count a balck and white version of an already 90%+ black and white set to be a completely different release then fair enough. I am going to stop talking now because I used to be one of Strictly Inks big supporters, but I will say they seem to have a fairly tarnished reputation at the moment and you know what they say about smoke without fire..

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
For anyone interested in finding out more about the artists and artwork in this release, one of the sketch artists has started a thread over on the Scoundrel Art Community Forums:

http://scoundrelpublishing.com...rt/viewforum.php?f=6

It's a shame the artists aren't posting their sketches on here, on Scoundrel there are some awesome sketches by Sarah Lyons, Potratz and Hai, Don Pedicini Jr, Dan Bergren. Rich Molinelli has just posted his sketches and I personally think they're the best one's he's done for any SI set, no half-heads, just awseome sketches Thumb Up

Disclaimer:
Please note that the comments made above are not advertising or promoting any products (or company) and are the personal opinions of Doctor Jas. Any reference to artists are not intnded to promote their work in any way or the company to which they have produced work for, but only to congratulate them on their fine sketches. The comment made about Rich Molinelli's half heads is not intended to be negative in any way but was made to emphasize the fact that I believe these sketches are his best ever and the sketch of the Doctor surrounded by 3 Daleks in a cartoon style was absolutely great and I would like to have it in my personal collection.

Picture of RAMolinelli
posted Hide Post
Hey Jas - Thanks so much! I appreciate the feedback. I can honestly say that I don't plan on doing anymore half heads for any sets. I heard my fans and I changed my approcah for cards sets. I may do some repeats for sets that come up out of nowhere and give me 200 cards to do in 3 weeks time, but no more half heads. Barrie and I talked exstensively about what he and I wanted to show for this set and this was my way of showing him and you guys what I can do. The Half head came around in two times of my life: 1) when I was being tested for cancer I had crazy deadlines and no will to work, I couldn't send back literally 100s of cards to the companies unfinished, so I did what I could to push threw and make a somewhat effort towards the cards, even though the body was willing the mind wasn't and 2) I had a bad experience where I was thrown out of my place of living after a falling out with a family member. So I am pleased to hear that someone is enjoying what I just have shown. Smile

Thanks

Posts: 472 | Location: Outer Space | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
I thought your work on 2000ad was great Rich and I was lucky enough to pull a couple of great colour sketches on that set. Please don't think I was knocking you're "half heads", I was just blown away by your different style on this set and particulally liked the new cartoon style as well.

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes, I hope you're back on the right track.