Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Dr Who Big Screen Additions Mono - Strictly Ink
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dr Who Big Screen Additions Mono - Strictly Ink
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaseb:

On the subject of additional artists, yes it's a pain, but all part of the course for SI products and we should really expect no less.

I love the art style though

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Regarding Strictly Inks not supporting NSU itself, whilst unfortunate I don't think it would be in the best interests of the hobby only to allow adverisers products to be mentioned on the board. There is a wide spectrum of collectors who post here and support the board by buying NSU and they collect a wide range of products and singling one out seems to me to be an act of prejudice towards both the manufacturer and collector alike. If you don't like it don't post.

How dare you! I will post if I don't like, I am entitled to my opinion. SI have used this board directly and indirectly to advertise their products FREE of Charge - why should they? Surely a card company with any feeling for the community that purchases it's product would support the forum/magazine?

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A most interesting reply and typical of a very small minority on here, one of the reasons why I read the board and don't post that much. I wonder how many people who post here actually support NSU by buying the publication? Maybe they should all be be barred for not supporting the magazine? Surely the board is for collectors and they should be allowed to post what is relevent to their collecting? Whilst I agree you are entitled to your point of view, so am I and they, it's a little thing called democracy, you may have heard of it.

Regarding the aforementioned company, I don't agree with everything they do. They do have faults but any "advertising" issue is surely something between said company and the management of the magazine, not board members?

Posts: 277 | Location: Hell, England | Registered: December 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
A most interesting reply and typical of a very small minority on here, one of the reasons why I read the board and don't post that muchWhat is that supposed to mean?. I wonder how many people who post here actually support NSU by buying the publication? Maybe they should all be be barred for not supporting the magazine?If you read everything you will know that the board was/is in danger due to the lack of advertising in the magazine Surely the board is for collectors and they should be allowed to post what is relevent to their collecting? Whilst I agree you are entitled to your point of view, so am I and they, it's a little thing called democracy, you may have heard of it. where have you got the lack of democracy from in anything I have posted? I merely stated that my opinion is as valid as yours is, you were the one stating "if you don't like it don't post" Is that Democracy as you see it?

Regarding the aforementioned company, I don't agree with everything they do. They do have faults but any "advertising" issue is surely something between said company and the management of the magazine, not board members?Do you ACTUALLY read the magazine or the board? If you did then you wouldn't have posted this!!!! Read the latest edition and LOOK at the whole NSU web-site

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammer,

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
quote:
SI have used this board directly and indirectly to advertise their products FREE of Charge - why should they? Surely a card company with any feeling for the community that purchases it's product would support the forum/magazine?

Very well said! I so agree with Hammer Thumb Up

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CaptainMal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BILLZEE:
quote:
SI have used this board directly and indirectly to advertise their products FREE of Charge - why should they? Surely a card company with any feeling for the community that purchases it's product would support the forum/magazine?

Very well said! I so agree with Hammer Thumb Up

To be fair, there isn't a requirement when signing up that a company needs to advertise with NSU to have their product discussed here. I'm not even a fan of SI, especially after the unlicensed product fiasco. But, this post exists because a member started it, and it continues to exist cos members are adding to it. Not really fair to come down on SI when it's not even them keeping this topic going.

Also, I assume that a lot of posters here haven't donated to the upkeep of the forums or took part in the current auction for fund-raising, so do they have no right to post here either? ...

Posts: 1093 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sittin9duck
posted Hide Post
I got my Jason Atomic sketch direct from the artist. On the sketches not been from the 2 films he has said "It's my fault, didn't do my homework. I simply got some blanks in the post (along with the Hammer ones) assumed that they were just for generic Dr who cards and rather than researching what they were supposed to be about got all carried away on a nostalgia trip about Weetabix." A dealer has gotten one of his card and told me that he got it from a Corroney redemption. I dont know why he would get an Atomic sketch instead of the Corroney but does this make Atomic an offical box set artist or still just an extra add on?

Posts: 301 | Location: redcar,UK | Registered: January 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMal:
To be fair, there isn't a requirement when signing up that a company needs to advertise with NSU to have their product discussed here. I'm not even a fan of SI, especially after the unlicensed product fiasco. But, this post exists because a member started it, and it continues to exist cos members are adding to it. Not really fair to come down on SI when it's not even them keeping this topic going.

Also, I assume that a lot of posters here haven't donated to the upkeep of the forums or took part in the current auction for fund-raising, so do they have no right to post here either? ...

The very first post on this thread states "Barrie sent me a list of the artists which he said I could post" and Barrie comments on this 3 times on the first page - SI have directly and indirectly posted on this forum advertising their products. You are quite right there isn't (to my knowledge) a legal requirement to advertise - but if the web-site folds where do SI get there products "known"? Same with individuals who don't subscribe to NSU magazine or contribute to keep the forum - fair enough no requirement to, but it isn't free to the host and WITHOUT manufacturers supporting NSU (not just SI but others as well) or without members contributing, we might not have a forum at all. I just think that the one Non-sport magazine and supported forum are too valuable to lose and in my opinion card companies that see their products discussed on this forum SHOULD advertise and support the card collecting community.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammer,

Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
Looks like I get drawn into this whether I like it or not!! Yes I started the thread, no I don't believe I indirectly advertise a product because I discuss it on here or we're all guilty of it. If I've got 3 posts on a single page then I think I've done well!! I should probably post on here more often so at least I might get bronze status!!

But I will agree with Hammer's comment that many companies know that their products are discussed on this forum in GREAT depth and that they should all do more to support NSU

Posts: 748 | Location: UK | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Jas:
Looks like I get drawn into this whether I like it or not!! Yes I started the thread, no I don't believe I indirectly advertise a product because I discuss it on here or we're all guilty of it. If I've got 3 posts on a single page then I think I've done well!! I should probably post on here more often so at least I might get bronze status!!

But I will agree with Hammer's comment that many companies know that their products are discussed on this forum in GREAT depth and that they should all do more to support NSU

Doctor - none of this is aimed at cardtalk folk (the 3 posts on the page was aimed at Barrie - not you (I have amended the post now), I like reading about and seeing all of the products and all posts are indiredt adverts - I am simply saying that card companies need to support the magazine/forum or we could lose them both (and if posible the cardtalkers can contibute their $10 as well). At the end of the day the only people making money out of our discussions are the card companies!!!

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Doctor - none of this is aimed at cardtalk folk

While I am sure that is the intention these sorts of posts are making people feel ostracized for talking about the cards they like to collect. . .

Speaking from personal experience in another thread these types of threads and posts seem to be splitting the Card Talkers into polarized groups. . . making people feel uncomfortable talking about cards may drive even more people away from Card Talk and NSU (yes, this is happening). Clearly this isn't the intention but it's happening.

I don't want to feel, or be told that I am a 'bad collector' or that I am "part of the problem, and have little to offer to support the hobby" (yes, this was recently said to me in another thread) just because I collect a product or because I don't want to participate in some activity -- i.e. benefit auction, email manufacturers, etc.

To be sure there are many people that share my feelings and thoughts but they are afraid to voice them because they don't want to get singled out and ostracized.

The unintended result of these posts and threads is that some Card Talkers are feeling less welcome. . . And I don't think driving folks away from Card Talk or NSU is going to be good for 'the cause' either.

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:
Doctor - none of this is aimed at cardtalk folk

While I am sure that is the intention these sorts of posts are making people feel ostracized for talking about the cards they like to collect. . .

Speaking from personal experience in another thread these types of threads and posts seem to be splitting the Card Talkers into polarized groups. . . making people feel uncomfortable talking about cards may drive even more people away from Card Talk and NSU (yes, this is happening). Clearly this isn't the intention but it's happening.

I don't want to feel, or be told that I am a 'bad collector' or that I am "part of the problem, and have little to offer to support the hobby" (yes, this was recently said to me in another thread) just because I collect a product or because I don't want to participate in some activity -- i.e. benefit auction, email manufacturers, etc.

To be sure there are many people that share my feelings and thoughts but they are afraid to voice them because they don't want to get singled out and ostracized.

The unintended result of these posts and threads is that some Card Talkers are feeling less welcome. . . And I don't think driving folks away from Card Talk or NSU is going to be good for 'the cause' either.

Jon

Jon - what makes your opinion any better? It's opinions and each are as valid. My main point has been about SI knowingly getting and using the forums for free publicity. I'm not aware that I have called anybody a "bad collector" and I have stated it's about card companies. The fact that you have been "hurt" in another thread doesn't invalidate my opinion on this thread. Maybe some of the posts you make drive people away!

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jon - what makes your opinion any better? It's opinions and each are as valid. My main point has been about SI knowingly getting and using the forums for free publicity. I'm not aware that I have called anybody a "bad collector" and I have stated it's about card companies. The fact that you have been "hurt" in another thread doesn't invalidate my opinion on this thread. Maybe some of the posts you make drive people away!

I guess I would say . . . if people would start new threads saying "Company X shouldn't be discussed on Card Talk" instead of hijacking other peoples 2-3 year old threads . . .

But whatever. . . I'm not really feeling like trying to post thoughtful, neutral posts on the topic as they seem to fall on deaf ears.

The small number of people running around on Card Talk with virtual pitchforks are making it a rather unpleasant place to be.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I think we need to give this is a rest and move back on topic. Yes, it would be nice if companies like SI, Artbox, Panini, etc. were more supportive of NSU and in turn Card Talk, and yes, we've tried to call people's attention to that in the current issue's Notes column, but I don't know if it's necessarily a good thing for all the threads to get hijacked with it. Maybe best to keep it contained in the existing thread in the Non-Sport Update forum.

If you like NSU and wish to see things continue as they've been, we encourage you to pick-up the current issue, read the Notes column, and encourage the companies to support the magazine, forum, shows, etc.

Thanks.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Apologies Harris Thumb Up Fair point

Picture of sittin9duck
posted Hide Post
Got this sketch in the post this morning. Elephant

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sittin9duck,

Posts: 301 | Location: redcar,UK | Registered: January 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Unusual but i like it. Thumb Up

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice sketch card sittin9duck....is the artist Chris Achilleos ? looks very much like his style.

Posts: 138 | Location: England | Registered: August 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sittin9duck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUST:
Very nice sketch card sittin9duck....is the artist Chris Achilleos ? looks very much like his style.

Yes the artist is Chris Achilleos. I like the way he has use the dalek on the card stock as part of the sketch.

Picture of sittin9duck
posted Hide Post
Got two sketches from Robert Aragon today. Big Grin

Anyone else got sketches direct from the artists to show off.