Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Kree-Skrull War Set from Upper Deck
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kree-Skrull War Set from Upper Deck
 Login/Join

Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
I read SciFi Cards comment in other topic about this set.

After reading the description. WTF! Go to hell! I'm a comic fan, but a 190 card set and the box has only 24 packs and 9 cards by pack. I don't care about Sketch Cards, but is it too much 1:432 packs.

Card manufacturers are making things wrong. You can made difficult to complete one thing at a time, the base card set or the chase/insert cards. Not both.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ra$
posted Hide Post
Its not all card manufacturers are like that, just UD are total a**

I have missed this set and the last 2 as its a joke who would spend much $$$$ to get these overprice boxes or cases and ****** rate pulls UD are the worse card manufacturer in the world thats a FACT!!!!!!

Posts: 97 | Location: London, UK | Registered: September 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Actually the odds for the sketches (1:270) are better, but they still suck at one per case.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's an interview with Upper Deck's Marvel product manager from Beckett.com:

http://www.beckett.com/news/20...ers-kree-skrull-war/

Posts: 128 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: April 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
Here's an interesting answer to a pretty direct question....

While there is a sketch card presence, “standard formula” chase items like autographs seem scarce here. Is that a challenge?

Bubby Johanson answers with.....
Oh, it’s definitely a challenge. When you’re talking with card shops, they’re asking “where’s my hit? Where’s my one box hit? Where’s my sketch card?” People are focusing on those hits, but we’re trying to get people to focus on the cards, the story, the art, the original storyline.

Marvel has created a story for us, for the fans and so we’re trying to deflect the focus from the hits because that’s not what this product is about — it’s the story and the nostalgia. But it is a challenge. Because it’s so different, people are excited, yet apprehensive about it.

So they're deflecting the focus on hits,...... so the focus is on base cards and less on "hits" per box. Huh, I wonder how that will work out in the long run.??

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goldenavenger:
Here's an interesting answer to a pretty direct question....

While there is a sketch card presence, “standard formula” chase items like autographs seem scarce here. Is that a challenge?

Bubby Johanson answers with.....
Oh, it’s definitely a challenge. When you’re talking with card shops, they’re asking “where’s my hit? Where’s my one box hit? Where’s my sketch card?” People are focusing on those hits, but we’re trying to get people to focus on the cards, the story, the art, the original storyline.

Marvel has created a story for us, for the fans and so we’re trying to deflect the focus from the hits because that’s not what this product is about — it’s the story and the nostalgia. But it is a challenge. Because it’s so different, people are excited, yet apprehensive about it.

So they're deflecting the focus on hits,...... so the focus is on base cards and less on "hits" per box. Huh, I wonder how that will work out in the long run.??

While I understand where he's coming from and I think you'll find some on this board who long for the day when it was the base set that mattered, at the price point they are offering this product I don't believe there will be many takers.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hcbrewer
posted Hide Post
well as far as I can tell now one has posted any box breaks for this product, so I thought I would post this here

I finally got my two boxes of this so I will post what I got

looking for others to trade with, so let me know if anyone else got this

I have nothing exciting to attach as I only got the basic cards
- no sketch or printing plates
- sketches from the pack were 1:432

cards are all new art work as these are actually story lines to read

per box I got the following
complete set base cards # 1-1 to 1-90
complete set of characters cards # 1-9
complete set of retro cards # R-1 to R-227
complete set of the cover cards # C1-C9
5 cards from the variant cover set # V
2 cards from the B&W variant cover set # B

now not sure of how many of each I got per box - (opened 2 boxes)
but there is 4 more sets or comic pages that were variants
2-1 to 2-36 - titled The Debt : got 29 cards but still need 15 to finish the set
3-1 to 3-27 - titled The Fall : got 23 cards but still need 10 to finish the set
4-1 to 4-18 - titled Power : got 11 cards but still need 8 to finish the set
5-1 to 5-18 - titled Soldiers Honor : got 15 cards still need 6 to finish

was also a mail in form to get a free binder for the first 1,000 received
- was no shipping charges to send along
will let you know if I got mine

so anyone that has these to trade please let me know
thanks
Chris

Posts: 438 | Location: Toronto | Registered: August 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arvin Sloane:
While I understand where he's coming from and I think you'll find some on this board who long for the day when it was the base set that mattered, at the price point they are offering this product I don't believe there will be many takers.

Right, UD is saying we don't have as many hits, but you should pay the same price as if we did. That's a great selling point. Roll Eyes

Make it better, or make the price cheaper, simple.

Posts: 10376 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
I was reading some info/comments of the product and are very confuse.

Now I can understand it better. The base set is only 90 cards. Ok, please post some photos of the Inserts.

UD has a good point to focus in the set, but there is a big lack of info available from the cards in the set.

About the "hit" problem. It is easy. The same manufacturers fault. The past few years, they were focus in Sketch Card here, there, and over there. Go to hell and f#$% the base card set and the inserts. Now they are making a 180 degree turn to the basic.

Raven, I second you. It will be difficult at first made people buy these products when they can get other products cheaper.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
People are not going to buy $75 boxes of base cards and low value chase, no matter what. The product would be fine the way it is comprised if it were a $1.99/pack retail.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I think the should have included a sketch card in each box, would it really have cost them too much as well as for all the comic art that was created for the set?

I think Upper Deck have missed the boat on this one.

TTFN

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of hcbrewer
posted Hide Post
http://www.collectablechris.com/upper-deck.html
link to my site where I picture the first page of each of the comic line stories for you - at least the cards I have for them Smile
-- click on the thumbnails for large pictures you can go through

to clarify
there are 9 character cards 1-9 (got all in one box)
there are 27 retro cards R-1 to R-27 (got all in one box)
Comic cover C1-C9
Comic variant cover V1-V9
Comic B&W cover B1-B9
Main comic story - 10 pages - 1-1 to 1-90
second story - The Debt - 4 pages - 2-1 to 2-36
third story - The Fall - 3 pages - 3-1 to 3-27
fourth story - Power - 2 pages - 4-1 to 4-18
fifth story - Soldiers Honor - 2 pages - 5-1 to 5-18

as for promos - so far I have found
- 10 card promo pack given out at NYCC
- 9 card uncut promo - Previews May 2011
- 9 card uncut promo - Previews June 2011
and unconfirmed a third uncut in the July previews

Posts: 438 | Location: Toronto | Registered: August 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I believe the 3rd uncut sheet was confirmed here. If not, I'll confirm it now. There are 3 of them.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by igman7:
People are not going to buy $75 boxes of base cards and low value chase, no matter what. The product would be fine the way it is comprised if it were a $1.99/pack retail.

Precisely. I'm glad to see a little less focus on sketch cards, and the new art is refreshing. But at the price point it's not a good release.

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hcbrewer
posted Hide Post
I like the set and the idea of what they were going for with the comic pages
and the collect-ability
- its sort of like Beginnings - where they are trying to make the set worth more instead of people collecting just for the sketches or autos

Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
hcbrewer, thanks for the info and photos.

I don't know how many people collect Marvel cards here, but it isn't the first time a comic card set has a comic book. Some people forget Fleer Ultra X-Men: Wolverine by Fleer/Skybox 1996. Even one of the Inserts sets has a little comic book story.

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....6073384/m/9506005485

The X-Men Wolverine make the Kree-Skrull set look like it was made by babies. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I opened 3 boxes in the past 24hrs. No sketch card. Haven't sorted the cards to see if I made a full set. But from what I see, it was way too much money for what I got. At least the Wolverine set had some chase cards that were cool. This set has rarer cards, but it's more like opening a box of System, or whatever they call UD gaming cards. I wouldn't even had touched this set, if it wasn't for being a Marvel addict.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hcbrewer:
I like the set and the idea of what they were going for with the comic pages
and the collect-ability
- its sort of like Beginnings - where they are trying to make the set worth more instead of people collecting just for the sketches or autos

It's really not up to the manufacturers to make a set that would have a high market value - that comes from the worth collectors and dealers put on the product.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tiggerhouse
posted Hide Post
I agree with Tattoox. Way over priced for the content. There was no WOW factor in regards to opening the packs. No autos, no sketchs (at least in the 4 boxes I opened), no holos, no foils, no motion, no embossed, no die-cuts, etc. etc. etc. It was like open up a box full of common cards. I know this set has some rarer cards, but they have the same look, feel, and format as the common cards. These were a BIG disappointment for me.

DCarleton

Posts: 226 | Location: Saint Johnsbury, Vermont, USA | Registered: October 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Although I agree the price seems high when held against Marvel Beginnings and all of its whistles, this might be the price we pay for wanting original art.

After opening a box, I felt a little flat. But then had a blast sorting through them and arranging the set in pages.

I have some significant issues with some of the aspects of it, but it's at least different.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post