Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Kree-Skrull War Set from Upper Deck
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kree-Skrull War Set from Upper Deck
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted
Release date in Previews is 7/20/11

quote:
Put together an entirely new comic book, complete with original artwork, that chronicles untold tales of the Kree-Skrull War from Marvel's popular Avengers comic books! Story pages turn front to back, just like a standard comic book, and are made of 9 cards per page. This will be the only way for Marvel fans to read new stories from the Kree-Skrull War, written by Sean McKeever, with artwork from Harvey Tolibao and many others! All 190 cards, when collected, will make a comic book with 5 action-packed stories - a 20-page main story "Sacrifice," and side-stories "Te Debt," "The Fall," "Power," and "Soldier's Honor." Each box will, on average, deliver the entire 20-page main story, plus at least 1/3 of the side-stories, with each pack including 4 main story cards, 2 to 3 character cards, 1 to 2 side story cards, and 1 cover card. Plus, rare sketch cards and 1:1 printing plates! 9 cards per pack, 20 packs per box.

Interesting if not exactly ground breaking.

This is one way to get comic readers to look at cards. A brand new story with brand new art is a great step forward from the recycled art sets UD has been giving us.

But is it enough to open a store for? Roll Eyes

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5082 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
This will be out in July.

I believe that the whole story will be a combination of cards and comic(s).

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Got my information on ordering this product, not happy with the details...

quote:
Vendor: Upper Deck
Configuration: 12 boxes / 24 packs / 9 cards
SRP = $95.76 per box
$3.99 per box

RELEASES: 07/20/11
ORDERS DUE: 06/09/11

Product Description and Content:

The Avengers: Kree-Skrull War, a 190-card trading card set that can be assembled to tell five original comic stories anchored around the Kree-Skrull War storyline from Avengers #89-#97, in July.
The stories can be assembled and read in nine-pocket card sheets.

CONTENT HIGHLIGHTS: (All content listed is an average based on the entire production run)
• Put together an entirely new comic book complete with original artwork chronicling untold tales of the Kree-Skrull War from Marvel’s popular Avengers comic books!
o Story pages turn front to back just like a standard comic book and are made up of 9 cards per page!
o Will be the only way for Marvel fans to read new stories from the Kree-Skrull War, which took place between Avengers #89-#97.
o Stories written by Sean McKeever (Captain America/Sentinel)
o Original Art by artists including Manuel Garcia (Iron Man Noir) and Bob McLeod (Amazing Spider-Man)
o Cover art by Harvey Tolibao (Heroes for Hire)
o Variant cover art by Paul Renaud (Hawkeye and Mockingbird)
• Collect all 190 cards that form the comic book featuring 5 action-packed stories!
o 20-Page Main Story
 Titled “Sacrifice”
 Features Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, and Vision in a great space epic where our heroes battle the entire Skrull Armada without a ship of their own all while racing against a deadly ticking clock!
 Begins right after Avengers #96, page 14
o 8-page Side Story
 Titled “The Debt”
 Features Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch battling a squadron of Skrull Soldiers in an attempt to escape from their captors on the Skrull Homeworld!
 Takes place between Avengers #96, page 12 and Avengers #97, page 5
o 6-page Side Story
 Titled “The Fall”
 Follows Nick Fury as he infiltrates an underground bunker loaded with traps in an attempt to rescue a kidnapped U.S. Senator that has been replaced by a Skrull!
 From Avengers #96, page 2
o 4-page Side Story
 Titled “Power”
 The renowned warrior known as Super-Skrull makes a desperate attempt at dethroning the Skrull Emperor permanently!
 Takes place after Avengers #94, page 16.
o 4-page Side Story
 Titled “Soldiers’ Honor”
 An uplifting and action-packed story taking place during the main story (“Sacrifice”) featuring Captain America who happens upon a group of Skrull soldiers trying to save some of their brothers-in-arms from imminent death. Will Captain America put himself in the face of danger to lend a hand?
o Every box will, on average, deliver the entire 20-page main story and at least 1/3 of the side stories!
 Each 9-card pack will include 4 main story cards, 2-3 character cards, 1-2 side story card, and 1 cover card
o Collect the Cover Art!
 Including short printed black and white and variant art cover versions!
o Rare sketch cards and 1-of-1 printing plates will provide great added chase elements for collectors!

PRODUCT BREAKDOWN:

Regular Set:
o Main Story (90 cards)
o Side Stories (99 cards)
o Checklist (1 card)

Insert Cards:
o Character Card Set
o Retro Character Card Set
o Cover Art
o Black & White Cover Variation
o Variant Cover Art
o Sketch Cards (1:432)
o Plate Cards (Rare)

9 Cards per Pack
24 Packs per Box
12 Boxes per Case

Bolding is my emphasis. Sketch Cards are 1 in 18 boxes! Eek That's one in every case and a half. And then the plate cards are "rare", can you get more rare than 1 in 18 boxes? Mad

One of my suppliers says UD has told them that ONLY UD Diamond Retailers will be able to buy this one, the other supplier knows nothing of that restriction yet. But with the odds on high end inserts what they are, there isn't much going for this product. It's going to cost me more than Thor (at least 3 costumes per box) IF they let me have some.

And a $3.99 SRP? This would have been the perfect opportunity to get kids into the cards. Finishing the story would be an incentive to completing the set. I know new art is pricey, but this is just plain silly.

Unless things change, this one's a pass.

Ed

Posts: 5082 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
I guess the $1 per sketch UD was paying artists was just too much to make sketches 1 per box. Roll Eyes

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steshell
posted Hide Post
At $3.99 per pack that's one expensive comic book!!

Posts: 234 | Location: Telford, Shropshire, United Kingdom | Registered: September 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

Well there goes my hope that Thor was to be the only gimped release by a struggling publisher. I am sad that the upcoming Capt. America will likely also be overpriced and underwhelming Frown

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ed, please email me.

David

Posts: 4719 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wonged
posted Hide Post
quote:

o Every box will, on average, deliver the entire 20-page main story and at least 1/3 of the side stories!
o Each 9-card pack will include 4 main story cards, 2-3 character cards, 1-2 side story card, and 1 cover card

PRODUCT BREAKDOWN:
Regular Set:
o Main Story (90 cards)
o Checklist (1 card)

Ed

Hey guys, I think this is my first time posting here :-)
I finally found something interesting enough to make me come-out of lurking to ask.
If I crunch the numbers from what UD has quoted above, then from one case you will get
12 main story sets
ONLY 4 side story sets
28 of both Avengers character sets.

That doesn't make sense to me that the side story sets will be so hard to build, and the Character sets "so plentiful" (i.e. very little value). I hope that UD mis-spoke about the mix per pack ? Can someone check with UD that it's not ...
Each 9-card pack will include 4 main story cards, 2-3 SIDE-STORY cards, 1-2 CHARACTER card, and 1 cover card ?
That would yield
at least 7 side story sets
and 12 of both Avengers character sets.

I know they say that 'Every box will, on average, deliver the entire 20-page main story and at least 1/3 of the side stories!' which is correct per the odds they state, but to me it doesn't make sense that it will be so difficult to build the entire 21-page comic !! Which to me is the appeal of this set.

thanks, another-Ed

Posts: 20 | Location: Central NY State | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wonged:
quote:

o Each 9-card pack will include 4 main story cards, 2-3 character cards, 1-2 side story card, and 1 cover card

PRODUCT BREAKDOWN:
Regular Set:
o Main Story (90 cards)
o Checklist (1 card)

Ed

Hey guys, I think this is my first time posting here :-)
I finally found something interesting enough to make me come-out of lurking to ask.
If I crunch the numbers from what UD has quoted above, then from one case you will get
12 main story sets
ONLY 4 side story sets
28 of both Avengers character sets.

That doesn't make sense to me that the side story sets will be so hard to build, and the Character sets "so plentiful" (i.e. very little value). I hope that UD mis-spoke about the mix per pack ? Can someone check with UD that it's not ...
Each 9-card pack will include 4 main story cards, 2-3 SIDE-STORY cards, 1-2 CHARACTER card, and 1 cover card ?
That would yield
at least 7 side story sets
and 12 of both Avengers character sets.

I know they say that 'Every box will, on average, deliver the entire 20-page main story and at least 1/3 of the side stories!' which is correct per the odds they state, but to me it doesn't make sense that it will be so difficult to build the entire 21-page comic !! Which to me is the appeal of this set.

thanks, another-Ed

I asked my distributor to verify the information and was told UD said everything in the above information is correct.

So you're invested in at least 3 boxes to be able to trade into a complete 'comic'. And at $3.99 a pack, boxes won't be cheap (at first).

I love the idea and think it would have drawn kids into the hobby in big numbers, but not at this price point.

The Original Ed

posted Hide Post
As probably heard, promo cards at Comic shows say 'Order at show and get free limited binder to first 1000 that order.' I was at Philly Wizard World and didn't notice anyone set up for preorders. Did I miss it? Did anyone who went to show see dealers set up for preorders? or at other shows?
Then question as to how you'd know you're within the first 1000. Personally, I'd be rather annoyed had I found someone to order from at show only to find that #1001.
I asked distributer if they were solicited for binders and said no; so will there only be 1000? or an unlimited edition later on? Anyone know?

Posts: 332 | Location: NJ | Registered: November 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
From the vibe that I am getting on this set, 1,000 binders might be WAY overproduced. Razz

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
With the way my economy is, I'm glad UD is screwing up this set because it makes it an easy pass for me!

On a serious side, Ed is right, if this was handled differently it could have been a GREAT way to draw kids into cards. $.99 or $1.50 packs with a new story would have been sweet.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stuff_guy:
As probably heard, promo cards at Comic shows say 'Order at show and get free limited binder to first 1000 that order.' I was at Philly Wizard World and didn't notice anyone set up for preorders. Did I miss it? Did anyone who went to show see dealers set up for preorders? or at other shows?
Then question as to how you'd know you're within the first 1000. Personally, I'd be rather annoyed had I found someone to order from at show only to find that #1001.
I asked distributer if they were solicited for binders and said no; so will there only be 1000? or an unlimited edition later on? Anyone know?

It is my understanding that UD was the spot to pre-order from. And what they have said (either Facebook or an email to me) is that there will be an offer in each card box for ordering the binder.

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I just saw who the writer was, McKeever. He has to be a super nice guy because the companies keep giving him work because he is one of the weakest writers in comics.

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
Ok,so this has been out for several days now. As I expected it's going down like a lead balloon. I believe there are all of 29 listings for this product on ebay to date.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arvin Sloane:
Ok,so this has been out for several days now. As I expected it's going down like a lead balloon. I believe there are all of 29 listings for this product on ebay to date.

Arvin, isn't the lack of online listings due to UD's new distribution policy.

They have imposed a 90 day restricted period from the release date when only special dealers are authorized to sell on the internet. Its supposed to help give brick and mortar stores the jump on all the customers rushing out to get the hot products as soon as they hit the market. And yes, I'm laughing my head off as I write that. Big Grin

Posts: 10412 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
The only thing that the IDP (idiotic distribution policy) stops are box/case listings online. If the product was well thought of, the large case breakers still would have broken it down and posted their results.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
There are 253 cards in a complete set of cards! The numbering is horrible. Very hard to read the numbers. When you assemble the cards into the proper order, the story is all over the place. The cards are broken down into groups:
1-1 thru 1-90 plus checklist
2-1 thru 2-36
3-1 thru 3-27
4-1 thru 4-18
5-1 thru 5-18
B1 to B9
C1-C9
V1 to V9
Character cards 1-9
Retro Characters 1-27
Out of an entire case I got one crappy sketch worth about $5, and 2 printing plates.
Only 6 of the 12 boxes had the coupon for the free binder.
What junk. Reminds me of Plasm and we know how great that set was...

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Arvin Sloane:

Arvin, isn't the lack of online listings due to UD's new distribution policy.

They have imposed a 90 day restricted period from the release date when only special dealers are authorized to sell on the internet. Its supposed to help give brick and mortar stores the jump on all the customers rushing out to get the hot products as soon as they hit the market. And yes, I'm laughing my head off as I write that. Big Grin[/QUOTE

It would be easy to point the finger at their new distribution policy, but that would be a copout.
Iggy's spot on, this product stinks! Thor was a decent product that was hurt by the ratio of big hits per box. Yes, it was 3 per box, but way to many 3 memorabilia hit boxes. Autos were a tough pull, but at least you had a shot at a Thor or Loki.
Beginnings was a better product. The very large base set found an eager audience and they had a nice mix of sketches, autos, and comic art cards. Unfortunately, this was the 3rd comic themed set in a short period of time.
Captain America had a mix similar to Thor, but the autograph line-up was even worse if you can imagine that.
So you're currently looking at a 5th Marvel set in less than a year coupled with a Vampirella set which people are going crazy over, a Project Superpowers which will get some attention and you've got a recipe for the disaster you're witnessing with Kree-Skull.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post