Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Cryptozoic Lands Pacific Rim Trading Card License
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cryptozoic Lands Pacific Rim Trading Card License
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardinalfan13
posted
I found this on another site

Written by Ryan Cracknell Via Cardboard connection.com

"The sci-fi film, which stars Charlie Hunnam and Ron Perlman from Sons of Anarchy, hits theaters in July. Idris Elba from Thor and TV's The Wire also stars.Directed by Guillermo del Toro, it promises aliens, robots and a whole lot of mayhem."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cardinalfan13,

Posts: 614 | Location: Missouri | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
Oh CZE PLEASE deliver a Charlie Hunnam auto! I don't care how big or bad the movie is but the SOA fans need it! lol

On the movie note, pretty cool that they're dipping into the movie world and I hope it works well for them. But if it releases late compared to the movie release it will hurt. A lot.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
On the movie note, pretty cool that they're dipping into the movie world and I hope it works well for them. But if it releases late compared to the movie release it will hurt. A lot.

Agreed. This HAS to be released in conjunction with the film. With blockbuster after blockbuster during the Summer, even the biggest movies only do their most business the first week or two, then it won't be long before it's out of theaters and minds move onto the next thing. Look at Avengers, the biggest movie in a long while - by the time I planned to see it about a month after release it was nowhere to be found.

If this card set doesn't hit within a week or two of the movie, it probably won't sell well, especially at a retail level.

Unless this has been in the works for a while, they've got about 4 months to get it done and delivered. I hope all goes well and it's a big success!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm all in for this one! It would be nice if more card companies got back into movies.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardinalfan13:
Cryptozoic is still very early in the planning stages for the set. They weren't able to confirm if it would be ready in time for the movie's theatrical run. They're also still working on what will go into the product. The license also includes "trading card accessories," which should translate into binders.

I think it would be terrific to get cards from a new movie that wasn't Bond or Star Trek. Ideally any card set should be released before the movie opens, but failing that, you could also fall back to the DVD release so long as the movie was a big enough hit.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VinnyH
posted Hide Post
Ron Perlman seems like a cool guy, I follow him on Twitter. I'll mention how much we look forward to his auto in a card set.
Best to All,
VinnyH

Posts: 102 | Location: Pleasantville, NY | Registered: November 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of HIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh CZE PLEASE deliver a Charlie Hunnam auto! I don't care how big or bad the movie is but the SOA fans need it! lol

This x10000000000000000!!

Posts: 2485 | Location: Austin Tx | Registered: December 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if I remember correctly - movie trading card sets caused the DEMISE of Inkworks!!! - be careful what u wish for

Posts: 198 | Location: United States | Registered: December 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sherlock2:
if I remember correctly - movie trading card sets caused the DEMISE of Inkworks!!! - be careful what u wish for

They also racked up more misses than hits.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
Well, overproduction, not getting the main signers and towards the end those god awful stickers also contributed.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Incarnadine:
Well, overproduction, not getting the main signers and towards the end those god awful stickers also contributed.

I thought Inkworks always did a pretty good job getting the bigger actors to sign.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Ideally any card set should be released before the movie opens, but failing that, you could also fall back to the DVD release so long as the movie was a big enough hit.
The problem with getting a card set out before the film opens is that the Film Companies will not allow the cards to include images that are/have been shown outside the trailers or other pre-release publicity material. This kills the appeal of the base cards stone dead. That was one the big problems that Terminator Salvation had for the card companies (along with it being a really awful movie, of course Big Grin), virtually no spoilers or other interesting images allowed on the cards or even the sketches.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Ideally any card set should be released before the movie opens, but failing that, you could also fall back to the DVD release so long as the movie was a big enough hit.
The problem with getting a card set out before the film opens is that the Film Companies will not allow the cards to include images that are/have been shown outside the trailers or other pre-release publicity material. This kills the appeal of the base cards stone dead. That was one the big problems that Terminator Salvation had for the card companies (along with it being a really awful movie, of course Big Grin), virtually no spoilers or other interesting images allowed on the cards or even the sketches.

Not just images held back, but the plot also. Take a look at the sets for the last Wolferine and Star Trek movies and see that the last card is well before the film ends. In fact there is no hint of how they end. Big Grin

Movie card sets are very risky, but I don't think I would agree 100% with the comments about Inkworks. It wasn't just that they went for movies, it was bad decisions on which movies.

Seeker: The Dark is Rising was an excellent set, autographs from the entire cast and costumes. The movie wasn't bad, but no one saw it.

Golden Compass came out with pieceworks only and that hurt sales. The movie was unsuccessful and lost a lot of money.

The Spirit was also a good card set with autographs from almost all the entire cast, pieceworks and sketches. This was a horrible, incomprehensible movie and probably was the nail in Inkworks coffin.

Near the end in 2008, before The Spirit, Inkworks put out Twilight. That could have been the franchise that might have saved it, but the set came out with no autographs, only pieceworks. Card collectors backed off, but the movie fans went nuts and the card prices went through the roof. Ironically just when Inkworks finally had a huge hit, it made very little out of it anyway, others reaped the profits.

Terminator Salvation, which was mentioned and was put out by Topps in 2009, had the misfortune of a movie with little interest and a poor set. None of the major stars signed and the sketches were limited to generic robots. It went no where in the hobby.

To bring the discussion back to this thread and Pacific Rim, I think Crypto can make successful movie cards as long as it first picks the right projects and then puts enough resources into the sets. I really hope it works out.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I know that the Spiderwick Chronicles movie was also not a huge hit, from what I recall, at least not in the U.S., and the second X-Files movie bombed in July 2008.

I wonder how those two Inkworks card sets did ?

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
I know that the Spiderwick Chronicles movie was also not a huge hit, from what I recall, at least not in the U.S., and the second X-Files movie bombed in July 2008.

I wonder how those two Inkworks card sets did ?

Inkworks cancelled the set that was planned for the Spiderwick Chronicles in 2007. I'm sure there was some kind of loss involved because, if I recall correctly, the cancellation was pretty late.

The X-Files Movie in 2008 was a bomb, but there was at least some interest in the set among card collectors because Anderson and Duchovny both signed autograph cards, Duchovny for the first time ever. Also there were still people with the older X-File sets who wanted to keep it complete. I doubt it did very much for Inkworks in the end though, probably paid for itself and not much more.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HIM:
quote:

This x10000000000000000!!

I must wholeheartedly agree with this as this would put me over the moon.

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I do recall that on Spiderwick Chronicles, Inkworks did promos SC1 and SC2. The latter was ultra common as it came in NSU, but SC1 was tough to find in 2007-08, as it was only released at some media event, from what I remember

However, Inkworks did do 2 different mini Spiderwick sets. If my memory serves me correctly, one came in the DVD and the second was supposed to be released somehow in the UK (possibly in their DVDs). The latter was cancelled, but the cards later showed up on ebay from that UK seller who was selling all of the Inkworks' unreleased promos and cards

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jake, Charlie is a great through the mail autograph signer. I sent him a photo. Got it back signed in a couple of weeks. He even included a signed SOA photo which he provided.

Posts: 526 | Location: nj | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that info ts! I'll have to track that mailing info down and see if I can get a surprise for the wife!

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:

I second this a million times!!! Big Grin

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post