Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Cryptozoic Lands Pacific Rim Trading Card License
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cryptozoic Lands Pacific Rim Trading Card License
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
I just remembered that Idris Elba is in Pacific Rim!! That man is so awesome Big Grin Anyone here seen Luther? if you haven't, you're really missing something.
If they can get Charlie Hunnam and Idris Elba to sign, I'll be in for big bucks.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just saw the first TV ad for Pacific Rim so I guess the movie is coming out in the next month.

To be honest the ad was constructed in such a way that I couldn't tell a thing about the film beyond some sort of rock-em sock-em robot Si-Fi theme. No actors mentioned, no real dialog, just quick cuts of Transformer type action.

No one would go to this film on the basis of that advertising, so lets hope they have something better to show or don't show anything at all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
To be honest the ad was constructed in such a way that I couldn't tell a thing about the film beyond some sort of rock-em sock-em robot Si-Fi theme. No actors mentioned, no real dialog, just quick cuts of Transformer type action.
Sounds like they've done a perfect job with the ad then as that is the basic plot of the film. The actors are irrelevant, the people getting top billing should be the highly talented special effects teams who have put together the bulk of what you will see on screen.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

No one would go to this film on the basis of that advertising, so lets hope they have something better to show or don't show anything at all.

That's exactly what fills seats in theaters.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
Some of us grew up watching movies just like this (with bad FX and acting) and loved them. Those old Japanese giant monster movies (some of which had giant robots too) were a blast, even with poorly dubbed dialogue. I can't wait to see Pacific Rim, and I have no expectation of it being anything other than what it is, a giant monsters vs. giant robot movie where mayhem ensues and cities get turned into rubble. It's a summer popcorn flick, check your brain at the door and enjoy the ride.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Guillermo del Toro is directing, producing, and writing this so I have the utmost confidence it'll be good. I'm a big fan of his.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Elaine Perna
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to see this. I'm a huge fan of giant robots and giant monsters. I love all of the old and new Godzilla movies and this reminds me a lot of them. Smile

Posts: 2274 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Incarnadine:
Some of us grew up watching movies just like this (with bad FX and acting) and loved them. Those old Japanese giant monster movies (some of which had giant robots too) were a blast, even with poorly dubbed dialogue. I can't wait to see Pacific Rim, and I have no expectation of it being anything other than what it is, a giant monsters vs. giant robot movie where mayhem ensues and cities get turned into rubble. It's a summer popcorn flick, check your brain at the door and enjoy the ride.

Well I guess I must have lost something over the years because I've always been one of those people you are talking about. Big Grin

My problem with the TV ad is not the type of film it is, it's that I can't tell what I'm supposed to be looking at. The cuts are so quick that you see what looks like robots or robot/men, there are some creatures that may be big or not, and a bunch of stuff is blowing up. Then it says in 3D.

Its like a lot of the musicals they do nowadays where everyone is dancing, but you can't enjoy the skill because the camera is jumping all over the place and the dancers' feet are cut off of the screen. If you going because of the special effects, then I want to get a good look at them and not get dizzy trying.

Its a small point, the film may make a fortune regardless of any advertising if all it takes is summer audiences.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
Is this set coming out in July? I just read in a newsletter that it is to be released in July, but have we even heard but about the details of what this set will include?

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
Any news on this set?

I don't have a good feeling about it. Hope to be wrong.

Movies licenses are rare at the moment beside Marvel, Star Wars and Star trek...

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I didnt want to wait any longer....

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Chris, Great cards. I did the same thing. I had gotten Hunnam on a 11x17 poster and then sent custom cards to the cast. I got two back for my son.

Posts: 526 | Location: nj | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
COOL!!!!!

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post