Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    MARVEL BEGINNINGS
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MARVEL BEGINNINGS
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I agree with Batman. I think I'm only going for 3 boxes, in hopes to pull one sketch card and put a basic set together with the easy to get chase cards. If I buy any at all for myself.

I love holograms and lenticulars, but I'm not going to buy a case just to have a set. Nor will I pay outrages prices for them. Holograms were every where in the 90's in Marvel products. Some were quite nice.

I feel the same way as Hcbrewer, being a completest as well.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Something else interesting or disturbing about this series. It's going to take many boxes to get the basic chase cards too. And the info is a little different.

There are 60 different Micro Motion cards, and these are seeded at approximately 1:2 packs. These cards feature a clear, etched lentricular technology that give the cards a bit of motion.

Die cut cards will be found in any pack that does not have a micro motion card.

Look for randomly seeded 1 of 1 press plate cards!

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hcbrewer:
with Beginnings listed at coming out in February I figured I would look into it and I am not liking what I am reading in this thread and these odds on pulling cards Mad

"approximately 1:10 cases and therefore ensuring that these cards have tremendous value"

tremendous value to who !!!!

I am a completest and this may make me stop collecting Marvel cards and concentrate on the other non-sports cards

wasn't it Upper Deck that killed Marvel back in 1996 by jacking up the prices on their Masterpiece series - you would figure they would of learned, here we go again

Your a completest and didn't know that Skybox made the 1996 set?

Posts: 575 | Location: USA | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
I'm a little lost here. Don't you guys like the thrill of the hunt? I take back what I said about the set off the go. After reading about the inserts and talking to a few other collectors, I'll feel good about this set if its done properly.

I don't even bother with Rittenhouse base & insert sets any longer, as they're in nearly every case. I loved going after the 1995 Emotions and the 2001 Topps Legends foils. It might take a year+ to put a set together, so I'm stoked. On top of that, I'm not big on the artist list at this point, so this more than makes up for it.

Posts: 575 | Location: USA | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haljordanfan:
I'm a little lost here. Don't you guys like the thrill of the hunt? I take back what I said about the set off the go. After reading about the inserts and talking to a few other collectors, I'll feel good about this set if its done properly.

I don't even bother with Rittenhouse base & insert sets any longer, as they're in nearly every case. I loved going after the 1995 Emotions and the 2001 Topps Legends foils. It might take a year+ to put a set together, so I'm stoked. On top of that, I'm not big on the artist list at this point, so this more than makes up for it.

No, I don't like the thrill of the hunt anymore. Not when it's a ridiculous hunt with a few dealers making a ridiculous profit at the collectors expense. Love motion and hologram cards, but not going after these. They're too expensive for anyone to be a completest. You'll need over a case to get them all. That's nuts.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by hcbrewer:
with Beginnings listed at coming out in February I figured I would look into it and I am not liking what I am reading in this thread and these odds on pulling cards Mad

"approximately 1:10 cases and therefore ensuring that these cards have tremendous value"

tremendous value to who !!!!

I am a completest and this may make me stop collecting Marvel cards and concentrate on the other non-sports cards

wasn't it Upper Deck that killed Marvel back in 1996 by jacking up the prices on their Masterpiece series - you would figure they would of learned, here we go again

Your a completest and didn't know that Skybox made the 1996 set?

Sorry, but that's funny. Maybe he's a completest for this century. I try to be, but from 1970 to today. It's tough.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
I agree with Hal that to me, the fact that it'll take more than a single case to complete a master set isn't a deterrent. Most master sets take more than 1 case when you actually do the math and breakdowns. The thrill of the hunt is always what you make of it!

Inkworks sets were this way, most RA sets are too for what you need to complete masters. Yes, I realize I'm talking autos/costumes but when the ratios are similar they may as well be used as comparisons

Has anything been said yet for how many cases are being made? Only a few or a ton? That will determine the eventual difficulty of putting a master set together.

As for not bothering with RA base or inserts any longer, send me your unwanted cards I'll find em homes Hal! lol

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I see your point Jake, and Hal's too, I suppose. To me, sketches and autos are valuable, and rare, so they deserve the higher odds. But to me, holograms aren't unique like sketches, and aren't valuable like autographs.

I remember chasing after the old lenticulars. They were rare, and unique. But you only had to find a few. 42 is just plain nuts, imo. I've bought a case or two trying to put together a master set of X-Files.

It just seems to me, that over 10 cases to put a hologram set together, is too much. Am I doing the math right. I was thinking it was a case. Damn!

As much as I'm going to regret it, I'm not going to be a completest any more.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tattoox:
I see your point Jake, and Hal's too, I suppose. To me, sketches and autos are valuable, and rare, so they deserve the higher odds. But to me, holograms aren't unique like sketches, and aren't valuable like autographs.

I remember chasing after the old lenticulars. They were rare, and unique. But you only had to find a few. 42 is just plain nuts, imo. I've bought a case or two trying to put together a master set of X-Files.

It just seems to me, that over 10 cases to put a hologram set together, is too much. Am I doing the math right. I was thinking it was a case. Damn!

Why do you feel like you have to buy 10 cases to put a set of holograms together? I'm sure you could find someone who'd be willing to trade a hologram for a sketch or autograph.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arvin Sloane:
quote:

Why do you feel like you have to buy 10 cases to put a set of holograms together? I'm sure you could find someone who'd be willing to trade a hologram for a sketch or autograph.

Okay, so lets say I would trade every sketch and autograph for a hologram. That's still 3.5 cases, if you get no dups. And I doubt I could part with any sketches pulled. Again, it's my opinion that too many cards at those odds.

posted Hide Post
The inserts just give dealers/customers more value by making them more rare. If you are planning on doing a case and JUST keeping the sketches and autos, you should be thrilled that you will be able to sell your inserts for more than $1 a piece like every rittenhouse set. Just because you aren't going to put the set together doesn't mean everyone isn't. Lots of people will be after these tougher inserts, just like with Marvel Masterpieces 1 from UD, anyone remember how much the Gold sets were selling for? That was a great bonus to me as a dealer to be able to get extra value out of something that is usually worth nothing.

Posts: 131 | Location: USA | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
Just because one collector thinks it's too tough or expensive to put together a complete set doesn't mean other won't give it a try. You can take your time and nibble away at it for a couple/few years....nothing wrong with that. In fact there's a good chance the prices will come down after the initial 3-6 months, plus you might find some BIN deals or auctions that were listed in the wrong section.

A lot of collectors like the thrill of the hunt. I think it's been too easy to make a set ove the last 5-6 years (marvel related).

By the way, I loved the gold bordered cards from MM07. I was trading them for sketch cards, granted it was a bunch of foils for sketch cards but it was refreshing that there were other cards in the cases that had value besides sketch cards.

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goldenavenger:
You can take your time and nibble away at it for a couple/few years....nothing wrong with that.
A lot of collectors like the thrill of the hunt.

I am still trying to complete some non marvel trade sets (sporting themes) that were issued in the early 1950's although I only started collecting them in the 1960's so I know exactly what you mean! Added to the problem for me is that you will not be able to find them in mint condition simply because they were issued stapled together, so most have small holes and/or rust marks from the staples. Funnily enough it is rather difficult to find them still stapled together.

Apologies in advance for diverting the thread.

Posts: 2121 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goldenavenger:
Just because one collector thinks it's too tough or expensive to put together a complete set doesn't mean other won't give it a try. You can take your time and nibble away at it for a couple/few years....nothing wrong with that. In fact there's a good chance the prices will come down after the initial 3-6 months, plus you might find some BIN deals or auctions that were listed in the wrong section.

A lot of collectors like the thrill of the hunt. I think it's been too easy to make a set ove the last 5-6 years (marvel related).

By the way, I loved the gold bordered cards from MM07. I was trading them for sketch cards, granted it was a bunch of foils for sketch cards but it was refreshing that there were other cards in the cases that had value besides sketch cards.

I collect for the art. Not the thrill of the chase and for the status of owning an expensive/rare set. I have plenty of those.

Guess I'm just getting too old. It's not as fun as it use to be. Take me back to the 90's. Loved the Pizza Hut promotions. Not only did I get a nice Marvel card, but I got a pepperoni pizza too. Wink

Granted, I will be keeping an eye out for good deals. Not going to pass up a reasonably priced Marvel hologram.

I'm anxious to see what the holograms and motion cards in this set will look like.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
While I agree with John that the 90's were the best times for Marvel cards. I'm feel like getting the bug again. I'll see if the feeling stays closer to release, but UD has my interest.

RA's sets are blah and I missed the chance to piece (hunt) an '07 MM gold border set. I ended up trading a Star Wars sketch for my 07 GB set and that wasn't fun. In fact I still haven't taken it out of the carton that I received it in and that was back in '08. If I had been putting it together myself, I'd have had a binder going the entire time and my little list of cards missing on Excel or Word.

These UD Holograms are peaking my interest more so than sketches from the set (with the possible exception of 1 named artist). I'm just hoping they look good...

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
While I agree with John that the 90's were the best times for Marvel cards. I'm feel like getting the bug again. I'll see if the feeling stays closer to release, but UD has my interest.

RA's sets are blah and I missed the chance to piece (hunt) an '07 MM gold border set. I ended up trading a Star Wars sketch for my 07 GB set and that wasn't fun. In fact I still haven't taken it out of the carton that I received it in and that was back in '08. If I had been putting it together myself, I'd have had a binder going the entire time and my little list of cards missing on Excel or Word.

These UD Holograms are peaking my interest more so than sketches from the set (with the possible exception of 1 named artist). I'm just hoping they look good...

I don't remember, Nick, are the gold boarder cards parallel cards?

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm... lets see take one marvel license and add a company with a bad reputation, shake well... add Super Ultra Rare and Valuable Holograms and Lenticular cards" Now stir:

They are intentionally (by there own words) creating an artificially rare card to bolster the secondary market value of said cards...

Also unlike sketches and autographs THESE cards would be easy for them to reprint.. [Jon Stewart voice]: Not that they have a proven history of doing anything like that! I mean ummm I, well they wouldn't do that!.. umm because that would be wrong... . hmmm.. [/Jon Stewart voice]

Yeah I think I might pass.

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I don't remember, Nick, are the gold boarder cards parallel cards?

Hey John,

Yes, the GB cards were one of the 2 parallel sets.

Nick

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sci-FiPlanet:
Hmmmm... lets see take one marvel license and add a company with a bad reputation, shake well... add Super Ultra Rare and Valuable Holograms and Lenticular cards" Now stir:

They are intentionally (by there own words) creating an artificially rare card to bolster the secondary market value of said cards...

Also unlike sketches and autographs THESE cards would be easy for them to reprint.. [Jon Stewart voice]: Not that they have a proven history of doing anything like that! I mean ummm I, well they wouldn't do that!.. umm because that would be wrong... . hmmm.. [/Jon Stewart voice]

Yeah I think I might pass.

Nice! One less person to contend with! Smile

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
I don't mind the difficulty, thrill of the chase and all that. I only hope they are serial numbered. You take cards with manufactured rarity, add in the fact the company has a documented history of shady dealings and you have the potential to see stacks of cards turn up out of the blue a couple years later.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post