Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    MARVEL BEGINNINGS
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MARVEL BEGINNINGS
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sci-FiPlanet:

They are intentionally (by there own words) creating an artificially rare card to bolster the secondary market value of said cards...

LOL,it seems to me every company does this. I'm sure you've heard of case loaders as well as multicase tier incentives.

I'm also surprised you said, "Yeah I think I might pass." Considering how down you seem about this product, I was looking for something stronger, like maybe, "I wouldn't touch this with a 10 ft pole", or at the very least,"Yeah I think I'll pass." Using the word "might" gives you some wiggle room and I'm sure you woudln't actually buy this horrid product now would you? Wink

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arvin Sloane:
quote:

They are intentionally (by there own words) creating an artificially rare card to bolster the secondary market value of said cards...

LOL,it seems to me every company does this. I'm sure you've heard of case loaders as well as multicase tier incentives.

I'm also surprised you said, "Yeah I think I might pass." Considering how down you seem about this product, I was looking for something stronger, like maybe, "I wouldn't touch this with a 10 ft pole", or at the very least,"Yeah I think I'll pass." Using the word "might" gives you some wiggle room and I'm sure you woudln't actually buy this horrid product now would you? Wink

No clearly your right, I was not specific enough about what I meant, yes basically all trading cards are "artificially rare" however some are (and this is a mouthful) arbitrarily artificial rare. That is to say an autograph card must be signed by a third party and they will only sign X number, as opposed to company X chooses card Y to be short printed/turned into a hologram.. whatever.

To reproduce the autograph you need another person, to add more sketches you need another artist, to reprint the RARE cards you need to fire up the printers, and THAT is something Upper Deck have done in the past. I am not really down on the product, more down on the company making it. If Topps brought this out I might have a little more faith but with UD, I worry that they are setting collectors up for a fall, and that drives people away from the hobby. Thats something none of us can afford right now.

I hope it's a lovely set, and that the people really enjoy it, I would just be wary of chasing high end easy to reprint cards for lots of money is all I am saying.

And no no wiggle room, I will absolutely not be buy any of this personally.

And yes I am aware of the incentive used to gain sales, I have been trying to design a set myself just recently Razz

Also the poll would be a LOT longer than 10ft Big Grin

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
quote:

No clearly your right, I was not specific enough about what I meant, yes basically all trading cards are "artificially rare" however some are (and this is a mouthful) arbitrarily artificial rare. That is to say an autograph card must be signed by a third party and they will only sign X number, as opposed to company X chooses card Y to be short printed/turned into a hologram.. whatever.

To reproduce the autograph you need another person, to add more sketches you need another artist, to reprint the RARE cards you need to fire up the printers, and THAT is something Upper Deck have done in the past. I am not really down on the product, more down on the company making it. If Topps brought this out I might have a little more faith but with UD, I worry that they are setting collectors up for a fall, and that drives people away from the hobby. Thats something none of us can afford right now.

Big Grin

To be fair, TOPPS has had its share of being caught letting the presses run.

Series One Gold Refractor Lawsuit

As part of the sell sheet for 1996 Finest Series One, Topps claimed that no more than 150 copies of each Gold Refractor would be produced. Dr. Joseph Sentef managed to collect over 220 Greg Maddux Gold Refractors often paying as much as $900 for each card. Sentef sued Topps and settled out-of-court for an undisclosed figure.

Same thing happened with a Jaromir Jagr card that they gave a umber for but a collector bought more than the stated amount.

I believe these lawsuits ushered in the age of serial numbering.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:

Also unlike sketches and autographs THESE cards would be easy for them to reprint..

Actually, having more sketches done after the fact is not exactly uncommon and then there are the blanks that show up later...

But all 'collectible' cards are by nature manufactured rarity. Even mini cards numbered to 100. Wink

I know it used to be true that Holograms were expensive to do right, so the actual cost of making these might be the reason for the rarity. But they might be cheaper to make these days. If they are good quality, I think people will chase them.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5080 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

Actually, having more sketches done after the fact is not exactly uncommon and then there are the blanks that show up later...

Absolutely I know some companies that do this regularly, and now a lot of artists date the cards they draw as well which is often a big give away, but yeah sketches turn up later, you are relying on the honesty of the artists to some extent at that point.

quote:

But all 'collectible' cards are by nature manufactured rarity. Even mini cards numbered to 100. Wink

Oh yeah totally, numbered to 100, 50, 30 whatever, they are rare only "because I said so" that's the "behind the curtain" aspect of the business that is so often not talked about.

quote:

I know it used to be true that Holograms were expensive to do right, so the actual cost of making these might be the reason for the rarity. But they might be cheaper to make these days. If they are good quality, I think people will chase them.

Ed

I know UD have there own presses at the California facility and I am sure that the cards will look great. s much as I may disagree with some of what they do, I still admit they have made some good looking cards. We will just wait and see if these hold there value Smile

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
As a big collector of hologram and lenticular cards, I'm extremely curious to see what type of holograms these are. I figure it's one of the following:

Full color multi-plane depth hologram
(Like Fleer Ultra MTV Animation or Tales from the Crypt holograms)
If that's the case, I'll pass.

Silver foil hologram of a sculpted scene
(Like Batman holo-series or 1995 Flair Marvel Annual HoloBlast holograms)
That might be worth getting.

Real-Photo hologram of a sculpted scene - usually green
(Like Amada Godzilla or 1994 Marvel Universe holograms)
That would be worth getting. They always look great.

Real-Photo hologram of a moving scene - usually green
(Like SkyDiscs or Star Trek Voyager The Doctor hologram)
That would be impressive and worth getting.

Color foil hologram of a moving scene
(Like Star Trek TNG "Q" hologram or older "SilverStar" baseball holograms)
This type of hologram is harder to find, yet yields a remarkable full color 3D image with full movement. These would be absolutely worth getting

Modern full color photo/scanned motion holograms
(Upper Deck made a lot of these type for the HoloView & SPx sports series in 1996 - 1999) These holograms are some of the best there are. Full color and full motion. They laser scanned sports players, so when you moved the card, they wink, smile or nod perfectly. With as many of these type of cards as Upper Deck used to put out back then, it wouldn't surprise me if they finally bring that technology to the non-sports market with this release. So, "yes" I would hunt for those!

All in all, I'm just happy someone decided to bring back the hologram card. The possibilities for hologram cards in non-sports world are endless. Can you imagine a Clone Wars set with holograms of the characters you could rotate and look at in full color? They have all the character info in the computer already! No need to use a laser to scan anything!

:: sigh ::

One day.

In the meantime, I'll keep my fingers crossed that these Marvel Holograms are worth chasing down.

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I'm liking the looks of these.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
The press plate cards sound really cool.

Anyone familiar with Ultimate Collection cards in the sports hobby?

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hcbrewer
posted Hide Post
wasn't it Upper Deck that killed Marvel back in 1996 by jacking up the prices on their Masterpiece series - you would figure they would of learned, here we go again[/QUOTE]

Your a completest and didn't know that Skybox made the 1996 set?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but that's funny. Maybe he's a completest for this century. I try to be, but from 1970 to today. It's tough.[/QUOTE]

my bad for grouping them together now that UD (I believe) owns their naming rights

has anyone heard anything on how many cases they are making?
how many sets of these holograms will there even be?

thank you to mintoncards for the nice breakdown of hologram cards

Posts: 438 | Location: Toronto | Registered: August 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
You never know the quantity with UD. The quantity could be 5,000 boxes to unlimited.

Posts: 575 | Location: USA | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are a few of the cards I did for this set, not showing all. Gotta leave something for the suprise. You can't tell, but the Silver Surfer has a metallic silver background.

These have nice texture and depth to them.

AP's

Sideview to show 3D effect

Posts: 70 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Has this set been delayed? I thought this was shipping this week.

Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tattoox:

It was supposed to release this week. Nothing from UD says it is or isn't.

But, I heard through the grapevine last weekend that some artists were still working on sketches. That would put the release 2-3 week out. But that could be pure rumor...

Ed

Posts: 5080 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It was supposed to release this week. Nothing from UD says it is or isn't.

Ed

Maybe UD are still waiting for the shops to be built so they can ship them to dealers Wink

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SBelcher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Maybe UD are still waiting for the shops to be built so they can ship them to dealers Wink

Normally I wouldn't post just to say "LOL"... but that was a good one.
Just about sprayed my monitor with Big Red. Metal

Posts: 281 | Location: Indiana | Registered: April 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Some where, some how, I was given the date of 4/12/11. Think it was from a distributor. I checked my emails, and UD rep said April. But I'm thinking from what I read just now on Facebook, that it may be this summer.

Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some where, some how, I was given the date of 4/12/11. Think it was from a distributor. I checked my emails, and UD rep said April. But I'm thinking from what I read just now on Facebook, that it may be this summer.

Yeah, I saw that "Summer" comment too.

I guess some sort of announcement is better than none at all. But a mention on a Facebook page isn't very friendly to dealers and collectors who budget for their purchases.

Ed

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yeah, I saw that "Summer" comment too.

I guess some sort of announcement is better than none at all. But a mention on a Facebook page isn't very friendly to dealers and collectors who budget for their purchases.

Ed

Sadly I think in view of recent events Upper Deck is anything but frindly to dealers and collectors.They appear to regard us as an inconvenience to them and not much more Frown .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
They're coming out next month!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jadams:
Here are a few of the cards I did for this set, not showing all. Gotta leave something for the suprise. You can't tell, but the Silver Surfer has a metallic silver background.

These have nice texture and depth to them.

jadams - are you using a stamp to produce the bulk of the cards you showed? And then flick/spray some extra paint on them?

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post