Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    MARVEL BEGINNINGS
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MARVEL BEGINNINGS
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Still can't make up my mind on this set. I've come to accept that all sets will be made up of recycled art. And throughout the years, there's been cover sets in various forms. But isn't this just an elaborate cover set? I guess I'll have to wait and see how many holograms are in the set.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
Those odds made my mind up on breaking a case. I'll Ebay a few sketches and maybe a mini master. I have 0 interest in autos at this point, but I'm hoping for a decent sketch card lineup.

Posts: 575 | Location: USA | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

If anyone has a link or scan to what the hologram cards will look like can they post it.

Thanks.

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a link to where the info came from? This already has the feel of a low ordered set ala Iron Man 2 where extra hits are put in the boxes IMO

This'll be a base set only for me MAYBE.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
Does anyone have a link to where the info came from? This already has the feel of a low ordered set ala Iron Man 2 where extra hits are put in the boxes IMO

This'll be a base set only for me MAYBE.

I can't give a link, because I received the info from two distributors. And they have wholesale info listed. The info is exactly the same, so I assume UD sent out solicitations recently.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll hand it to UD for sort of trying something new. The 1:72 holograms - there's 42 of them. Good luck building your sets.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

Still desperate to get a peak at the holograms.

Can't find anything on the net though.

TTFN

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hyperion
posted Hide Post
Add me to the list of curious ones regarding the holograms! If they are good ones, that would be the main factor for me to buy some of this Smile

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: March 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:
Well, I'll hand it to UD for sort of trying something new. The 1:72 holograms - there's 42 of them. Good luck building your sets.

This is the craziest thing I've ever heard of in all my years of collecting Marvel cards. These odds are just plain nuts. If I pull one I'll be happy, but I give up on these extortion tactics companies in this genre are dishing out lately.

Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I am also a little off put by a 1:72 ratio, but I would probably be interested in all the chase cards and not just the holograms so am a little more content than some with the ratio given the hit per box assumption.

I do find it concerning that the non-movie comic related product has such a light hit ratio considering the increased hit ratios of many other sets.

TTFN

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe that's 42 across the three series (like the base set is 180 from 540)

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tangent:
quote:

I hope so. That makes more sense. Yet still going to be tough to put together with those odds.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I would like to know how many cards are in each subset below and what they look like.

X-Men Die-Cut Cards (1:2)
Marvel Prime Cards (1:2)
Villain Hologram Cards (1:72)
Breakthrough Issues (1:1)
Ultimate Marvel Preview Cards (Varied #)

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I can't believe these artists are accepting such low payment. Must have been offered a bunch of proofs to sell.

Confirmed sketch artists so far are:
Dan Panosian
Graham Nolan
Jim Cheung
Joyce Chin
Cat Staggs
Kate Bradley
Remy “Eisu” Mokhtar
Jonboy Meyers
David Mack

Confirmed autograph signers include:
Stan Lee
Brian Michael Bendis
Joe Sinnott
Kurt Busiek
Gerry Conway
David Michelinie

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tangent:

It doesn't look that way. Here's a quote I read from a retailer's board that's a release from UD:

quote:
There are 42 different holograms in the product, seeded at a rate of 1:72 packs. That makes the odds of finding any one hologram approximately 1:10 cases and therefore ensuring that these cards have tremendous value.

With that, UD is using the huge checklist as a selling point to ensure secondary value. I see their point but it seems like a little too much overkill, especially when I wonder how much of the product is going to be busted.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
The artists will be getting proofs as part of their compensation. I will getting some from my favorite artist! Smile The autograph cards don't interest me, and the holograms will be too hard to acquire, and who knows what they will look like. I don't think I will be buying more than a box or two of these.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hcbrewer
posted Hide Post
with Beginnings listed at coming out in February I figured I would look into it and I am not liking what I am reading in this thread and these odds on pulling cards Mad

"approximately 1:10 cases and therefore ensuring that these cards have tremendous value"

tremendous value to who !!!!

I am a completest and this may make me stop collecting Marvel cards and concentrate on the other non-sports cards

wasn't it Upper Deck that killed Marvel back in 1996 by jacking up the prices on their Masterpiece series - you would figure they would of learned, here we go again

Posts: 438 | Location: Toronto | Registered: August 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hcbrewer:
wasn't it Upper Deck that killed Marvel back in 1996 by jacking up the prices on their Masterpiece series - you would figure they would of learned, here we go again

No. Upper Deck didn't do a Masterpieces set in 1996 and in fact didn't do Marvel related cards until 2003. Their first Masterpieces series was 2007.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think it's a good idea to try to reinvigorate a different 'hit' in the industry. . .

There are an absurd number of sketch cards in the hobby now, and lots and lots of 'em are Marvel related.

I guess we'll see if collectors think that holograms qualify as a hit. . . I think the trick for UD will be to find the balance where the number of holograms isn't so great it prevents people from collecting 'em, but there are enough so that it is a challenge to put a set together. . .

Posts: 5415 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
I think it's a good idea to try to reinvigorate a different 'hit' in the industry. . .

There are an absurd number of sketch cards in the hobby now, and lots and lots of 'em are Marvel related.

I guess we'll see if collectors think that holograms qualify as a hit. . . I think the trick for UD will be to find the balance where the number of holograms isn't so great it prevents people from collecting 'em, but there are enough so that it is a challenge to put a set together. . .

Agreed. Maybe 20-25 at the same insertion rates. I love holograms and if they're done nicely (ie not like the first Impel holograms), I'd see them as a hit. I'd love to see UD bring the Shadow Box inserts they do in sports sets to Marvel.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook