Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Women of Star Trek Art & Images (RA 2021)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Women of Star Trek Art & Images (RA 2021)
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
The best news about RA's Women of Star Trek Art and Images, scheduled for 8/11/21, is that there will be 3 autograph cards in every box. That extra hit has been sorely needed.

The partial list of signers with names like Barrett, Nichols, Goldberg, Judd, Yeoh, Saldana, Notaro and Martin-Green doesn't look too bad either. Smile

One thing about the autograph cards. They appear to be on multiple designs from other Star Trek products.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm debating whether to pre-order a box or wait for the full checklist and take my chances.

Posts: 27 | Location: USA | Registered: May 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JMH710:
I'm debating whether to pre-order a box or wait for the full checklist and take my chances.

Unfortunately certain major card makers that used to be very collector friendly have become gun shy about putting out checklists and others just never cared about it. If the products are already sold out to the distributors, dealers and other bulk buyers, they don't have much incentive to show how good the checklist is and even less incentive to show how bad it is. Big Grin

Sometimes its more incompetence than deception, or just a matter of bad luck with things that are really beyond their control. For others its a known pattern and that's that. No matter the reasons, larger pre-orders are more likely now not to see a final checklist before they are due.

So without advising anything, the three questions to answer would be . . .

Do I want to buy so much product that it won't be found after the release?

Is the price more likely to go above SRP right after release?

Does the omission of a couple of key autographs or other hits mean I have no interest in the product?

If the answers are yes, yes, no, then you might be good to pre-order. If its no, no, yes, than you might want to wait on a checklist before committing. Just my own standard. Smile

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Release has been pushed back to October 13th. Already says boxes sold out on the website.

Not officially mentioned yet, but GoT Iron 2 is also expected somewhere in that October - December time frame. Busy bees. Big Grin

Problem is, any collectors who buys both titles will have to choose or half both. Nothing like being in competition with yourself.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
I doubt it will every happen, but I would love to have a "Women of Star Trek" sketch card from this scene in "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home":

This is the character of Madelaine played by Monique DeSart. ("Not now, Madelaine!")

I've also always wanted her to have an autograph card in the "Women of Star Trek" format.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Not caring that much for typical Star Trek, I really liked IV The Voyage Home. It's probably my favorite one. That they never revisited the Catherine Hicks character anywhere when she fit in so well seemed like a lost opportunity to me.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I vaguely remember something about the scene but can't picture Madelaine. Your link is broken. I still like the line from McCoy as he's looking for Chekov in the hospital and is horrified to hear kidney dialysis is still a treatment. He can't stop being a country doctor so damn the timeline. He gives a woman a pill that allows her kidney(s) to grow back. He pats her cheek as he leaves her with a line something like, "If you have any questions, call me."

Edit: link restored

quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
I doubt it will every happen, but I would love to have a "Women of Star Trek" sketch card from this scene in "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home":

This is the character of Madelaine played by Monique DeSart. ("Not now, Madelaine!")

I've also always wanted her to have an autograph card in the "Women of Star Trek" format.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Release has been pushed back to October 13th. .

That's the week of the October Philly show and the week before the October Show in Chicago. I hope the individual autograph cards are somewhat reasonably priced. I've been working on collecting the WOST autograph cards, but only those with the WOST logo.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Less than two weeks to release and the autograph list still has not been posted. Requests on the website are going unanswered.

I guess this has turned into RA's new pattern now. They are copying what had been lesser competitors. Roll Eyes

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Checklist says P1 promo will be in binder.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Autograph checklist just posted. If I knew I had 3 wishes I would have asked for money! Big Grin

Many names I'm not too familiar with. Was hoping for another Terri Garr or Diana Muldaur, but no luck. No Jeri Ryan or Kate Mulgrew either. Nice to see Catherine Hicks back. A few repeat signers will be of interest, can't say too much about the new ones.

posted Hide Post
I'm happy because this is looking really good for picking up a Nicole de Boer autograph at a reasonable price (unless of course my box yields one). Between four different designs she signed 800-1200 cards!

Posts: 27 | Location: USA | Registered: May 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Looks like they are cleaning out the vault for this one. 3 of those de Boer's are from past sets. Maybe that is why there has been a shortage of em. Wink

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Looks like they are cleaning out the vault for this one. Wink

Yeah, this is just a mash up of designs from other places. I think that's why we aren't seeing certain autographs in there that you'd kind of expect in a WOST product.

I just saw a Jeri Ryan Picard in the Archive Box exclusives, but I don't know if that's a different card than the two that were in Picard. I also noted that I don't see any mention of inscription card designs, which have been top heavy in recent RA products. I'm not a big Star Trek follower so I can't judge how collectors will feel about the new signers that I can't really recognize from other work.

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
There are some people I chat with that really like particular 'formats' of autos..say for example, I have a guy who really loves the Legends formats and another who is only collecting TOS in the Classic SkyBox format and are delighted to fill in holes in those styles, which this set is ripe with.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
They are on the street.

Quite a few of them are out of the gate rolling on true auctions.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Production run of 10,000 boxes. I have to say that it kind of dilutes the product a bit. Maybe that was just my expectations, but since the recent Star Trek products have had smaller production runs, I expected a packed product. Not that it's bad, but it's not what I had expected. That might be my own fault, though.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
For the first time in a long time RA has put 3 autographs in these WOST boxes and that's a very good thing, even if 2 of them are common signers. It still provides some value over the simple one common, one a little better formula.

As to the increased box production, that's what they did with GoT Iron too. RA has enough autographs to support more boxes because they are clearing out a variety of designs left over from other products. Production runs have gone up on base cards and inserts, just as individual "hit" card production has come down to create more rarity. However that's only for the bigger signers, commons are in abundance.

It's a decent checklist, but I don't like these archive box and hobby exclusives. I can see the AB missing 1/1s or super limited cuts, but it should have all the other autographs or you should stop calling it an Archive Box.

By the same token all autograph hits should be seeded in the hobby boxes. I don't care if you only do three copies, buyers should still at least have a chance at the long odds. I don't know when card collectors started to accept these changes, but nobody complains much, and the next thing is that it becomes the norm.

BTW that Jeri Ryan Picard AB exclusive that I mentioned is a different card than previously released and its up on eBay now. The seller wants more than the combined total of all 3 of her Picard signature cards, so that's that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
There are some people I chat with that really like particular 'formats' of autos..say for example, I have a guy who really loves the Legends formats and another who is only collecting TOS in the Classic SkyBox format and are delighted to fill in holes in those styles, which this set is ripe with.

I only collect the silver autos on a black background. I think there are only two of them on this release.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JMH710:
Production run of 10,000 boxes. I have to say that it kind of dilutes the product a bit. Maybe that was just my expectations, but since the recent Star Trek products have had smaller production runs, I expected a packed product. Not that it's bad, but it's not what I had expected. That might be my own fault, though.
They probably increased the production run so they could sell 9 cases to more dealers because of the Andy Price sketch incentive. Just wait until Discovery 3 comes out. The numbers will return to normal.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post