Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Trek Beyond (Rittenhouse)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Trek Beyond (Rittenhouse)
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
One of My AP's from this set.

Posts: 185 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
yikes....I'm seeing Alice Eve CHEAP.....

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I'm seeing a lot of autos from this set going for really cheap (which is great for me).

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
I'm seeing a lot of autos from this set going for really cheap (which is great for me).

This is a trend that I've been noticing on autographs in almost all new products in the last few months. During that honeymoon period, the first wave of buyers used to pick up signed cards before prices settled and often paid more than necessary.

Now it looks like buyers may be holding back and waiting, while sellers and dealers are dumping earlier. So the initial prices are unusually low. I'm not saying for everything of course, but I too am seeing pretty good autograph cards going for common/cheap prices. It is good for buyers in the short term, but if premium hit values are eroding it is not a good thing long term.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering if it's a general itchy concern about money, especially on top of Christmas for this set.
The economy in the UK is a bit dodgy, with an interests rates rise and inflation at its highest in 6 years, and the ever present Brexit stuff. I'm not saying all that is making a direct effect on trading card sales, but I've noticed items going for very low prices in teddy bear collecting, coins, model race cars and a few other things I follow. Great for opportunist buyers(like me), but worrying for sellers, I imagine. People seem to be a bit more careful with what they're buying and I suppose trading cards are a 'luxury' item and one of the first things to drop off people's lists when working out budgets.

Edited to add: How nice it is for a 'big' actor like Chris Pine to have a 'proper' signature that's fairly consistent on all the cards I've seen. Smile

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say it's a christmas thing as i'm seeing very few sales of my stuff. I've adjusted prices accordingly.

Posts: 185 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kryten67:
yikes....I'm seeing Alice Eve CHEAP.....

The variant in the this new release is only 'Limited' (300-500 cards), so far more are on the market. I think this card will creep up in value as it is a card most Star Trek collectors will want.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:

And I kinda hope the Chekov reward is costly. I send my master set clients tons of wrappers with each release as an incentive to think I'm awesome Wink (jk). Sure would be nice for them to have something nice to spend them on.

The Rewards card is now up on the RA site, 1500 points.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
I AM IN SHOCK!

One of the Best Artists on this Set had only One AR & he put it up on open Auction...it went for just over $50. I've never seen one of his ARs go for under $400.

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That seems like an enormous drop. Without seeing the sketch, maybe the style or the subject just didn't do it for a lot of people and the artist's name didn't matter to them.

However, as we have been saying in general, I am seeing significantly lower prices across the board right now on all types of premium hits. Whether its just temporary or long lasting I don't know. Certainly the time of year matters in terms of disposable income, but cards could just as well be a gift too and I don't think there will be a surge of buying after New Year either, so that can't be the only factor. It's also the economy, a declining customer base, greater supply of premium hits and collectors who are holding off longer.

Just looking at the end of year comments in the other thread, many card collectors have cut way back and have become very selective. I think the change in habits may really have begun to show up on the secondary market, which has always tended to be a race to the bottom anyway, only that was usually over time. All of a sudden we are seeing these low prices on premium hits in brand new product. Even the major big hits are off their peak opening prices in comparable cards already available.

For buyers its a good thing now, but if it is not temporary, the hobby as a whole can't sustain it from a seller's point of view. I mean if the biggest hit in the box can be bought straight for $90 and everything else is less than that, who is going to spend $100 on a sealed blind box? If dealers can't make money on the breaks, they won't break. Then nobody buys sealed boxes/cases and nobody breaks them for individual sales. So what's left? This is not just about Star Trek, but we'll see what happens in 2018.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kryten67:
I AM IN SHOCK!

One of the Best Artists on this Set had only One AR & he put it up on open Auction...it went for just over $50. I've never seen one of his ARs go for under $400.

Just had a look at sales over the last 7 days and honestly your post could apply to any of ten or more sketches I saw. It's the current market conditions of too many sellers,not enough buyers,the time of year,and too many releases for the same titles.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
All of what TripleFrog said, but especially the time of year. I have always had my very best deals off of Ebay right before Christmas- after everyone's budget is blown. Thumb Up

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
And we have a winner Wink Wolfie, drop me an email and your address Smile
That was the flash contest winner. I'll announce the other contest tomorrow AM.

I received my prize from Lynne which was a Mr Spock double costume card, fascinating. Smile

Many thanks to Lynne for running the contest. Clap

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
This is a really stunning release RA have put together, and I never expected to see the reboot actors on the classic Trek auto card design (the best Trek auto design IMO).

Just so annoyed that in such a large auto run, the ONLY cards I did want: Peter Weller and Bruce Greenwood (on the classic design), were not released in this set! Big Grin

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
This is the one

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
David Desbois did me a Picard sketch a couple years back, maybe the best sketch I own. Being on RA's books he'd be a massive asset to Trek sets if they could get him to do a few.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post