Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Outlander CZX (Cryptozoic)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outlander CZX (Cryptozoic)
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
For example: do you remember TOPPS Lord of the Rings? Every hobby box contained a MAIN CHARACTER autograph. It was so much fun to collect.
That was a great edition! No, it wasn’t "CZX Lord of the Rings“ for £230 or "Lord of the Rings INFLEXIONS“ for $180.
Yes, LOTR is maybe long time ago, but I think everybody knows other great editions.

Why shall I pay £230 for maybe an guest star autograph and maybe a guest star wardrobe card?
I don´t care if there are very limited autographs of a guest star.

By the way: the wardrobe cards contain pieces of fabric used to make the lavish costumes in the show. Yes, it is really nice but there could be millions from one card.
I like the costume cards when you know it is a piece of a real costume from the show. That is something special. It is limited.

In my opinion a lot of the trading cards publisher lost the contact to the main trading cards fans.
MONEY MONEY MONEY.

Posts: 24 | Location: Europe | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
But it won't be

Obviously. Not even close. I'll be surprised if it's one Balfe per case.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I couple of the major online sellers have pre-orders up at $250 a box and nearly $1500 for a 6-box case. That's crazy. You'd have to pull 3 or 4 Balfes out of the 6 boxes just to break even. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I just saw it come up at $265 a box. I'm trying to think, and I'm not sure because I have so rarely even looked to buy product above the SRP $100 a box barrier, but wouldn't Outlander be the modern record price for a non-sport title that is not a full set like a Stellar, or a specify portion of a mini-set like RA's Buffy?

There are older products that have had sealed boxes appreciate to $200 and better, but they weren't released that high, they just went up. I could see where Outlander CZX boxes could have grown to over $200 over time, given the nice autos and its loyal fanbase. But coming out as the record holder, if it is the record holder, I'm not sure it has anywhere to go but down. I do like the cards, but . . . .

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
I remember that Upper Deck's 2012 Marvel Premier had a SRP of $200, but I can't remember if the later releases were any higher though.
Found the Beckett article about it ...
https://www.beckett.com/news/u...a-pack-marvel-cards/

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
More autograph images have been posted along with the list of signers...

Autograph Signers:

Andrew Gower as Prince Charles Stuart
Annette Badland as Mrs. Fitzgibbons
Caitriona Balfe as Claire Randall Fraser
César Domboy as Fergus
Claire Sermonne as Louise de Rohan
David Berry as Lord John Grey
Diana Gabaldon (Author)
Dominique Pinon as Master Raymond
Ed Speleers as Stephen Bonnet
Gary Lewis as Colum MacKenzie
Graham McTavish as Dougal MacKenzie
Grant O’Rourke as Rupert MacKenzie
Hannah James as Geneva Dunsany
John Bell as Young Ian Murray
Laura Donnelly as Jenny Murray
Lauren Lyle as Marsali
Lotte Verbeek as Geillis Duncan
Maria Doyle Kennedy as Jocasta Cameron
Nell Hudson as Laoghaire MacKenzie
Richard Rankin as Roger Wakefield
Rosie Day as Mary Hawkins
Sam Heughan as Jamie Fraser
Simon Meacock as Hugh Munro
Sophie Skelton as Brianna Randall Fraser
Stephen Walters as Angus Mhor
Steven Cree as Ian Murray
Tim McInernny as Father Bain
Tobias Menzies as Black Jack Randall / Frank Randall

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes I was thinking about it but might wait for the secondary market
Heres an observation for you were these cards signed as sheets then cut as a couple seem to have the sayings trimmed
Is it me or am i dreaming the Sam Heugen ones

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Maby I used the wrong word here trimmed,should say short cut possibly but looking at the preview pictures would these cards grade.
Unusual cutting

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Right, so, single autos from Simon Meacock, Maria Doyle Kennedy, and Ed Speleers, and I'm done. Maybe Lauren Lyle and John Bell if they're not as irrationally expensive as last time.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piko:
Maby I used the wrong word here trimmed,should say short cut possibly but looking at the preview pictures would these cards grade.
Unusual cutting

I see what you are talking about, but I think it may be an illusion from the way the cards were placed out or the photos pulled. It looks like there are top and bottom black borders, but I think its only on the bottom. What seems like a top black border belongs to the upper photographed card.

In a brand new card product, with current publishing methods, they shouldn't really have inherit problems with uneven borders or off-centered pictures in any given set. They can be mishandled in production or packing. They could get dinged or scratched or have soft corners or get damaged later on because of surface gloss issues. Rampant miscuts or badly off-register photos shouldn't happen today and if they did, it would be easy to pull them out before asking anyone to sign them. At least I would hope so.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Anyone have a P2 promo from the recent NSU to spare ? I can't find any

I have P1, P3, P4

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Nice looking cards! Thanks for posting.

I don't know anything about Outlander, but I hope this is a massive success for Crypto.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Nice looking cards! Thanks for posting.

I don't know anything about Outlander, but I hope this is a massive success for Crypto.

At the price they've put on this - and I say this as an Outlander collector - I hope it isn't. We don't need them being encouraged to keep pulling this kind of thing.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
At the price they've put on this - and I say this as an Outlander collector - I hope it isn't. We don't need them being encouraged to keep pulling this kind of thing.

I know what you mean, but this kind of thing will go ahead in the moment. CZX is the new top of the line for Cryptozoic. CZX Super Heroes & Super Villains is coming this year too. These are the DC comic characters of Justice League and such. The cards look great and there is the potential for big name actors to sign. With Outlander boxes at this SRP it's hard to imagine that the more broad based DC world isn't going to be at least as much as Outlander.

While we were crying at breaking the $100 barrier, we just skipped right over the $200 milestone for what is basically a limited traditional product. Big Grin I don't want anyone to fail or lose money, but it's hard to see how this is good for the hobby in general. Collectibles are held to grow into these values, not for it to be the price of acquisition. At least I used to think so.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
I may get one box and tuck it at the back of a binder as an example of a release. Same with the DC ones.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There's a fine line between supporting an industry, and allowing it to take advantage.

As with anything commercial, be it TV subscriptions, event tickets, or trading cards, if the providers go too far with pricing, and people still pay it, that's it. They'll keep doing it. And if those future premium products also sell, then the basic products will suddenly start to rise (even more than they already have) to close the gap.

There is only one way to stop any business from making fools of their customer base, and that's to not buy it.

Getting over the FMO is the hardest part.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ravenheart,

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
Don't worry, it will sell out. The baseball collectors will buy it all because they see $$ in the Outlander product.

I, for one, will not buy it because it is not worth spending $250 for a Mrs. Fitzgibbons autograph (for example). I would be sorely disappointed if I got something like that out of a $250 box.

Posts: 1951 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Right? Imagine dropping that amount of money, and pulling a $10 autograph (which everyone will try to sell for far more than that on the secondary market because they've got so much outlay to recover, but a $10 signer is still a $10 signer - especially all the repeats).

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
There is only one way to stop any business from making fools of their customer base, and that's to not buy it.

Getting over the FMO is the hardest part.

Well it gets easier to get over when you can't afford it. Wink

At this point the only way to approach a product where you pay $1,000 for 4 boxes is to be a seller of some of it. As a card collector, if I'm lucky enough to pull a big auto, do I want to turn around and sell it to someone else? No, I want to keep it, that's why I bought the box in the first place. So if you can only afford to buy it because you have to sell it, where is the logic in that. Big Grin

I do agree it may sell to the sports card people. That's what we are all calling them, but we really mean flippers and dealers. The real sports card collectors aren't doing too well in their own market for the same reason. Premium product is priced insanely and they either settle for basic fare, which still costs enough, or they cut back or they quit. Sound familiar?

The test is not whether or not the boxes sell out, its what happens on eBay and such after they sell out. The flippers, sports card people and hopeful dabblers are going to have to sell these cards to Outlander collectors, or DC collectors, to make profit or just get something back. The big autos will go for big money, if you catch them. Non-sport is now in the same cycle. It will only be when the secondary market, which will be mainly real collectors, does not respond with enough money back that the industry/makers will think it went too far. Just my take on it.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
After seeing the full autograph checklist it looks quite similar to a standard Outlander release - 1 autograph and 1 wardrobe card per box with signers being almost all repeats. So the jump from $100 a box to $250+ is due to "glossy cards that sport gold Deco Foil"? Confused I concede it costs more money to do that but how much does it save to produce so few cards per box compared to other releases? 30 cards per box in this compared to 120 previously.