Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    New 9/11 Coloring Book Features Terrorist Trading Cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 9/11 Coloring Book Features Terrorist Trading Cards
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kennywood,

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't like this kind of stuff, never did, never will. It doesn't matter if the merchandise is framed as 9/11 heroes or evil terrorists. It doesn't matter if its stated purpose is for education or entertainment. Short of something coming from a bonafide related charity, I see it all as exploiting a great tragedy.

If my view is not objective because I am from New York and was here when it happened, well I guess that's it then. It is a part of history, it should be taught, so put it in a history book without crayons and trading cards.

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Jim Kyle

Posts: 353 | Location: Jersey | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
Why do they think that rating it PG13 somehow makes it appropriate?

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my opinion this is just appalling...

Posts: 377 | Location: Ohio | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The Piedmont "Terrorists Attacks" set was an excellent set, very well made, and certainly educational. That set kind of flew under the radar when it came out.

The Eclipse True Crime sets came a few years later, and while no one seemed to have any trouble with the half of each set that focused on the Mafia of the 1930's, that wasn't the case with the part that focused on the serial killers and mass murderers. Those cards received national (largely negative) attention.

Even so, all of the cards were very well written in a scholarly, non-exploitative way. The art for both the Terrorists Attacks and True Crime sets were painted illustrations created especially for the trading cards, and very well done.

It's a strange issue as this kind of material presented in book form isn't especially controversial, yet elicits widely varying opinions when presented as cards, since, like comic books, the average person still considers cards to be only for kids, even though there are clearly cards and comics not intended for children.

And while I did collect the Terrorists Attack and True Crime cards, I would pass on these. Not so much because of the subject matter, but because they are photo cards and not illustrated. Frankly, some of these jerks, I just don't want to look at actual pictures of.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Perhaps these people are better known in America but i have never heard of them except for Assange and i'm not sure he qualifies as a terrorist. Confused

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgf351
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Pedicini Jr.:

That just about covers it for me as well.

Check out my blog at Card Crazy!

Posts: 111 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dex1186
posted Hide Post
err that's pretty sickening

Posts: 73 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's an article about them from the NY Post with a brief youtube video from the creator:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/n...utm_content=National

Interesting in the video how the creator giggles at the idea of turning terrorists into trading cards and then says "do with them what you want". I must say I find the whole thing appalling as well. Even putting aside the cards, why in the world do they feel it is appropriate for a child to have a coloring book of terrorists?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Logan,

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dex1186
posted Hide Post
It seems there trying to make the terrorist celebs now..

Posts: 73 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wolfie, I am surprised that you said you never heard of these guys. Most are houshold names in the U.S.

McVeigh was the militia man who blew up the Federal Building in Oklahoma City in 1995 to protest the government.

Kaczynski was the college prof who became the Unabomber who blew people up in the 1970s

Mohammed and Malvo were a team of snipers who shot people on the highway outside of Washington DC a few years back

Loughner was the psycho who shot Arizona congresswoman Giffords in the head in early 2011

I believe that Hasan shot up a U.S. military base, killing several troops

Not sure who the 2 guys on top are

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgf351:
quote:
Originally posted by Don Pedicini Jr.:

That just about covers it for me as well.

me too

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Wolfie, I am surprised that you said you never heard of these guys. Most are houshold names in the U.S.

McVeigh was the militia man who blew up the Federal Building in Oklahoma City in 1995 to protest the government.

Kaczynski was the college prof who became the Unabomber who blew people up in the 1970s

Mohammed and Malvo were a team of snipers who shot people on the highway outside of Washington DC a few years back

Loughner was the psycho who shot Arizona congresswoman Giffords in the head in early 2011

I believe that Hasan shot up a U.S. military base, killing several troops

Not sure who the 2 guys on top are

The guy in the upper left is one of the 9-11 airplane hijackers, and Bill Ayers was in a domestic terrorist group that exploded a bomb, back in the 1960's or 1970's. McVeigh and Loughner are particularly despicable. While none of any of the victims of these killers deserved what they got, McVeigh and Loughner killed childen.

The problem is that this set is by no means comprehensive, and worse, it could bear seemingly endless update series. These losers have been really coming out of the woodwork lately. Mad

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe household names in the U.S. but Wolfie lives in the UK like me. I have heard of McVeigh but the rest are unknown and there is no real reason why I would have heard of them.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill Ayers I think is the guy they were always saying that Obama knew. He was a radical guy from Chicago.

Posts: 377 | Location: Ohio | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
Maybe household names in the U.S. but Wolfie lives in the UK like me. I have heard of McVeigh but the rest are unknown and there is no real reason why I would have heard of them.

But you probably know the names of the men who tried to blow up those London train stations or the guy who was the Yorkshire Ripper. It would be the same thing as putting them on cards.

Except for Assange and maybe Ayers, these guys are all mass murderers who professed to have a cause, although I think the Beltway snipers just wanted to kill anybody.

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:

But you probably know the names of the men who tried to blow up those London train stations or the guy who was the Yorkshire Ripper. It would be the same thing as putting them on cards.
I was only replying to your surprise that Wolfie had not heard of most of the names on the list. They are infamous in the USA, but that does not mean that anyone outside the US will have even heard of them.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

You have hit it on the head there David, in the U.S., outside of the U.S. they would be unknown.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

But you probably know the names of the men who tried to blow up those London train stations or the guy who was the Yorkshire Ripper.

Actually no i wouldn't. I might get the Ripper if i thought for a long time but the London bombers are just complete nobody's as far as names go.