Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    R.I.P. James L. Fromm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

R.I.P. James L. Fromm
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted
i am sad to say that someone every collector knows has passed away. James L. Fromm passed away June 8th, 2021. I'm afraid I don't have any details.

He hasdn't posted anything then I noticed a new dealer who was selling some of his merchandise tonight. The Listings said from the James Fromm estate. then I googled him & found out.

He was my first distributor of Star Trek Cards in the early 90's.. He always kept me in the loop on new releases well before the Autograph cards became a thing. I'm sure there's noone on here here who doesn't have one of his cards. I usually dealt with Suzanne but from time to time, Jim would send a suprise or two and a Hello.

I lost track of him when I stepped away to do the whole Family/ life thing but I found him on eBay a while ago & connected with him & Suzanne. i bought all sorts of cards from him over the years. I bought a few Crow Chase Redemption cards with Full Redemmed Lithographs from him in the late 90's for a few Crow customers

I had. I asked him if he had any left not expecting anything when we reconnected. He said he'd check and get back to me. He emailed me to say he has two left & I could have them if I wanted. we came up with a fair price & I ordered them. I was doing a Wizard World that would have James O' Barr as a Guest.

I opened the package and there were Two HUGE Lithographs there WITH THE REDEMMED Cards. Normally that would have been crazy enough til I noteced the Lithos were handnumbered 1/4000 and the other was numbered 2/4000. I couldn't bring my self to sell them, I sent the Number 2/4000 Litho & card to a friend who is on this board. the other is in my personal collection.

Even if you didn't by directly from him, you probably bought one from him as he sold to Dealers, Diamond Comics & Heroes Comics Distributors back in the 90's He was one of the few dealers who really helped me out getting started. Jim will missed.

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
I bought several items from James in the days when I didn't have PayPal and sent large sums of cash to him. I'm saddened to hear of his passing. I'm surprised someone else hadn't mentioned it sooner. he was a big dog in a little pond.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Very sad news and very sad that it has taken so long to find out.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I must admit to not knowing the person but am still sad to hear of his passing as it seems a lot of people here knew him and dealt with him over the years.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yes, a bought a full run of Munster family album cards and a few more autograph cards from him off eBay many years ago. His handle was jlfromm. After I stopped using eBay I lost track of him. I didn't know he was so well known as a seller, but it's great to hear that he treated so many people well and was one of the good guys in this hobby. My condolences to his family.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing his advertisements somewhere. Sorry to hear this news.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to read of his passing. I'm not sure if I bought from him but I might have and certainly remember that he ran ads in NSU in the late 90's and into the 2000's.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of his passing also. I remember seeing his ads in NSU all the time back when I first started collecting. I purchased a case of Rittenhouse's Iron Man from him in 2008 I believe. And I used to see his auctions every so often on eBay - comprised of mostly Skybox Star Trek cards and sealed boxes.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
For the Trekkies of us. James literally saved one of the TNG Season sets..was it Six?? From not having a binder. They weren't going to do one, and he wasn't having it and funded the whole run Smile Good guy.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow, and that couldn't have been cheap even then. Do you know what kind of a deal he made with Skybox to do that?

quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
For the Trekkies of us. James literally saved one of the TNG Season sets..was it Six?? From not having a binder. They weren't going to do one, and he wasn't having it and funded the whole run Smile Good guy.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post