Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Topps The Warriors movie card set

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/955604453/m/3177002476

January 07, 2015, 07:32 PM
Darth Graham
Topps The Warriors movie card set
Topps have on their website a new 16 card set of th cult movie The Warriors. Card size is 5 x 7.
January 08, 2015, 04:13 AM
monkeyafterdark
I absolutely adore this movie, yet a 16-card set is hardly the release this movie deserves. I can only imagine what Unstoppable Cards could do with the property. Most likely something more interesting than a pack of oversized cards.
January 08, 2015, 09:06 AM
Ted Dastick Jr.
quote:
Originally posted by monkeyafterdark:
I absolutely adore this movie, yet a 16-card set is hardly the release this movie deserves. I can only imagine what Unstoppable Cards could do with the property. Most likely something more interesting than a pack of oversized cards.

They were originally slated to have a set within a set including autographs for last years Archives Baseball set (they did include cards from the movie Major League), but The Warriors got scrapped.

I guess Topps paid for the license so they still wanted to do something with it. Better than nothing!
January 08, 2015, 09:21 AM
Raven
Being in New York, I really enjoyed the movie the first time I saw it because it was shot on location in the subways. I rode the trains running to the Broadway, Union Square and Coney Island stations and it was fun to see those areas and surrounding streets that I knew pretty well.

Even back then when we had all the graffitied subway cars and there was too much street crime The Warriors was way over the top. I wondered if people watching that film really thought we had a gang on rollerskates or the painted face baseball players. Big Grin But it made for an entertaining fiction at the time. I saw the DVD again a couple of years ago and remembered why I liked it, but I have to say that it did not age well in terms of movie making. The Warriors is very much a product of its time and that's why it has a cult status among a niche group.

Yet as for cards, I really can't see the point, especially if it's just a cheap tribute mini-set with nothing special in it. If Beck or Remar had some signed cards in the set that would be a different story, at least for me.

But why not do a full blown set on cult movies, where you can include maybe ten cards from seven movies and go out and get autographs from some of the actors? Licensing might be a problem, but such sets have been done on the horror and si-fi posters and such. I liked those mainly Breygent sets a lot.
January 11, 2015, 11:13 PM
chesspieceface
quote:
Originally posted by monkeyafterdark:

True, but that set wouldn't be $20, with free shipping. These oversized cards are a bargain at a little over $1 each, and I'm glad to have even these.

That said, here are my ruminations from the other day (at another website) wishing for a more detailed set for this movie:

There is the absolutely essential "player" card for the Baseball Furies gang, but there needed to be cards for each of the other gangs as well including the Orphans and Riff. Still, I understand there’s no “Lezzies” card given that term may now be fairly un-P.C.

The Warriors are technically a gang fighting others gangs, even though this movie is a close to a cartoon (in a good way!) that a movie can get. You have to figure that’s why it was pulled from its original intended release in Topps Archives and instead issued here on its own, separate from any product containing MLB licensed material. The movie “Major League”‘s off-color jokes weren’t as problematic as glorifying gangs (as some feel the “Warriors” did) was, apparently, as those made it into the Topps Archives set and were very popular.

Whatever, I’m just glad these Warrior cards are out now, and oversized is not bad on these. I ordered a couple of sets the moment I heard of them. They would look amazing signed. I didn’t think we’d hear of these cards again after they were cancelled at regular card size, which I’d still like to see them issued in, in a full set, if possible, that way we could have the card titled “Warriors, Come Out to Play-eeee-aaaa!!!” showing that little jerk Luther maniacally clinking the bottles.
How about Cyrus with “Can you dig itttttt?” to the assembled masses, or “Riff To the Rescue on Coney Island!” or "Cyrus...Wasted!" or "Ajax Under Arrest!". The card titles truly write themselves with this fan favorite.

Topps will hopefully make more of these sets to get more of the classic images and quotes from this film on the cards for this effort to be a complete success. The several closeups of the lady DJ’s, Lynne Thigpen’s, heavily glossed lips with the warnings she gives the Warriors over the radio would each make a great card.

This should have been a regular set. Much of the remaining cast would sign, I’m sure. Michael Beck already has for Americana, James Remar for Dexter, and David Patrick Kelly for “Twin Peaks”, and probably a few others I’m forgetting. Sketches could be fantastic, too. Thanks for these, Topps.

January 21, 2015, 08:02 PM
chesspieceface
Received the two sets I ordered today.

They are shrinkwrapped in a clear plastic wrapper. I would've preferred at wax wrapper, naturally, but there is a 17th "Title Card" that also protects the top card #1. Card #16 is the Furies card, the one most likely to be damaged since it's at the back of the pack, but the one in the set I opened was fine.

They are in nicely inside a padded envelope that is then placed in a larger flat mailer, so I'm happy to commend the care Topps takes in shipping these, especially since that shipping was free.

The cards are sharp looking, and ideal for autographs. Crossing my fingers, but not holding my breath for a second set. Hopefully, they'll sell enough of these to make that happen. Lots of great images and characters are missing from this still very cool set.