Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    HBO Spartacus trading cards
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HBO Spartacus trading cards
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:
Originally posted by willgull:
Well, I collect CARDS! Not just autographs. I am already tired of the "Premium" packs. Although I am a big fan of this show, it looks like it may be another "set" priced out of my range (if the info given is true). I think my money will be better off spent on some of my other hobbies. This one is catering to a few exclusive persons and I am not part of that crowd.

Good Luck and Adieu!

. . . well, who knows what the set will be valued at -- there aren't that many cards in the set, and plenty of folks (like me) only will be looking for the autos so there should be lots of commons available to build sets.

Jon

This is absolutely true and, if willgull isn't after the autograph cards, he should be able to pick up base cards at a discount, even ones from these premium pack sets.

My problem is that I am an autograph card collector, and while I readily accept the fact that there are always going to be certain certified celebrity cards that are out of my reach, I don't want whole products to be unavailable or unaffordable to me.

That is a good part of what destroyed sports card collecting. The average collectors had to be satisfied with second tier products because the stuff they really wanted was out of their range. Well they weren't satisfied, they just quit collecting.

There is a fine line here and non-sport card manufacturers should be aware of it. But I am looking forward to these Spartacus cards and will see what happens when they are released. Smile

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of damien
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also look for 12 Autograph cards from Andy Whitfield, Lucy Lawless, John Hannah, Biba Bianca, Jai Courtney, and more!

that would be Viva Bianca
and she is the one I want most

Posts: 1450 | Location: montreal,canada | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stargaterules
posted Hide Post
I want one auto from this set *if she has one Katrina Law .... One she is hot . Two she was in Chuck . Three she was in Legend of the Seeker . Nuff Said .

Posts: 91 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stargaterules:
I want one auto from this set *if she has one Katrina Law .... One she is hot . Two she was in Chuck . Three she was in Legend of the Seeker . Nuff Said .

Pretty sure your wish will be grantedWink

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Details up at Rittenhouse site.
I will not be buying a box - maybe a couple of packs.

http://www.scifihobby.com/prod...382&CFTOKEN=95143714

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm, the only list 10 autos on the site, wonder who the other 2 will be...

Posts: 275 | Location: California | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
it's not that bad, 50$ per pack and you get 2 auto, bout 25$ each

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Will at least pick up a Katrina Law auto because she was in Legend of the Seeker and Chuck

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
I will not be buying a box - maybe a couple of packs.

Awwwww....c'mon! According the RA site, the suggested resale price for a box is only $750.00! Eek

I guess I'm biased, but I don't get all the hate for this product.

Consider the box a case, and the packs boxes. Each pack will get you 2 autos and a handful of chase cards, just like the traditional box. All that is missing is the base set, which many people dump for next to nothing these days anyway. And, since the costs are less the SRP for a pack is $50, much less than the SRP for a box of RA product.

It's good that RA is trying something that will work for a VERY adult show. Six Feet Under and the Sopranos didn't work very well as box products.

I know I've ordered some already because I expect it to sell out quickly.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Really it all depends on your point of view.As someone drowning in thousands of base cards nobody wants even if I am giving them away for free this type of set looks attractive.

However I can see the other side of someone who is a fan of the show but has a limited budget.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's hate - certainly not from me.
It's just surprise and an unwillingness to spend that much on a BOX. It's one thing to spend that kind of money on a case but a BOX?
Don't get me wrong. If I watched the show, I may well be tempted to buy a box but as it stands, a box is out of the question.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Ignoring the big franchises, aren't the base sets of these shows what the dealers should be trying to sell to fans of those shows who don't normally collect cards?

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of john the hat
posted Hide Post
free base cards droooooooooollllll

Posts: 1115 | Location: England | Registered: March 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CaptainMal
posted Hide Post
Personally I prefer to have zillions of packs to open, makes it feel worth the money and gives that element of surprise when finding an auto/sketch/costume.

Also, if the price of base sets starts to get to Twilight level due to demand and lack of supply, then it's just sucking more money out of already cash strapped collectors.

Posts: 1093 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ed is correct you have to look at a box of this is like a case of something else. one spartacus box will have 30 autos in it. it is interesting to see a set where the base cards are more rare then the autos. you will only get 30 base cards in a box and the base set is 26 card so i really hope that they make it so each box has a base set. i see it as just buying a masterset and you will have 15 or so autos to sell off.
i would have loved to see bloody swatch cards or practice sword prop cards but i am just glad to see a card set of a show that i really like and has all of the main cast signing for it.
if anyone was intersted in doing a 5 way split of a box let me know

Posts: 230 | Location: pa | Registered: March 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
I can see this being the future of cards. I have over 400 base sets sitting here doing nothing. Postage, if I gave them away, is more than a set would cost at a show. As Hammer said, it's the mindset of having hundreds of packs vs. the same amount of chase in a box. If there isn't a complete base set in a box, people will have to start TRADING (clue is in the hobby name). Very few collectors here buy single packs because you just don't see them anywhere. Really looking forward to this set.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree about the bas sets. I don't have the space for multiple base sets and end up throwing them out to make room for new stuff. I ordered 10 packs of Spartacus and will have to look around to try to finish the base set but will have a good chance of getting a full set of autographs if all are inserted at the same rate. This will help RA to cut down on cost and still provide us with a set that I didn't ever expect to see. I hope it sells well because I think this can help other sets that are longshots see the light of day in the future. I would like to know who the other 2 signers will be as well and also wish that RA would release enough binders for the number of sets being produced because I either leave my sets in binders or the box it came in and many collectors like myself will not be able to purchase a full box of these. This set will definitely promote trading and I think that the base set cards will sell really well with such a small number of cards available. I wonder if a full set will be guaranteed in each box. If so, then you could consider each box as a master set with extra autographs to offset the cost. Thinking of it as a master set makes the cost of the box seem very reasonable in my opinion.

Posts: 249 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
Although I can't really afford it, I preordered a pack of these. I like the show, and I like the way that Rittenhouse is doing this -- this would die a horrible death as a 'normal' product, but will hopefully do well as premium packs. And hopefully I will pull a Viva Bianca Luv You card Smile

I agree as far as base sets go -- in fact, I have stopped collecting any base sets other than Star Trek or Stargate (unless I buy a box of the product, then I make one base set). The fact that this base set is serial numbered is just cool. I certainly understand where the people who want base sets are coming from -- I started collecting cards in the 80's, and I didn't own a single autograph card until 2001 (my first auto card was a Claudia Black Farscape auto that I bought at my first Comic Con). I loved base sets. Those days are gone though -- there is a small group of people who love base sets, but look at how cheap they are online. There is just no demand for base sets these days, and I personally am out of space to store them.

Edited to add: I wonder what Rittenhouse will do for wrapper rewards points. I don't want 2 pts for my $50 pack Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jason00,

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Soul-on-Fire
posted Hide Post
As a normal collector with a normal budget, I find this Premium format hugely disappointing. Sure, I get 2 autographs, but only a handful of basecards. And for that I have to pay $50. Shake Head

Posts: 608 | Location: Germany | Registered: October 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$50 is the retail price we all know you will most likely be able to find them for less and for 2 autos i still dont think that is a bad deal since they are all main characters.
I love the show and would be happy with any of the autos so ~$20 an auto i dont think is completly horrible and i dont think there will be a lot of filler autos so what is the difference between this and a $60 box of cards with 4 autos where they might be $7 each. but that is just my opinion

Posts: 230 | Location: pa | Registered: March 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post