Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    HBO Spartacus trading cards
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HBO Spartacus trading cards
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted
Anyone have an idea who got the license to do these cards? It's not Breygent.

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
I didn't realised someone had bought the license to the show.

All I knew about is the SDCC promo set and the pre-print auto set on that auction site.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The pre-printed Spartacus autograph cards at auction are very similar in description to unlicensed product. I'm not saying that's what they are, I'm just saying they are similar.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
there is nothing official but the SDCC mini set from 2009 from Starz.

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
Someone has purchased the license to do trading cards for the series. HBO will not release the information to anyone other than the licensee due to privacy laws. Just trying to find out who the mystery company is....

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
As David pointed out, wasn't this on the Starz network? Are they owned by HBO?

Could be an interesting set. Not many sets get made for sets which are VERY adult in nature. But there's lots of opportunity if they think the fan base is strong enough to support trading cards.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
Ed, you are right. It was on Stars and I think HBO is the parent company. I really hope these cards are made. It think will be well received, even though it is almost X rated.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
Andy Whitfield just quit the show because his non-Hodgkin lymphoma has recurred. No decision has been made about what will happen with the series.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
really, that's so sadFrown
that's one of my favorite show

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
very sad new indeed

Posts: 230 | Location: pa | Registered: March 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
Found this on Spartacus official page:

Andy Whitfield, star of Starz's "Spartacus: Blood and Sand," has been advised by his doctors to immediately resume aggressive treatment for a recurrence of cancer, as a result of which he will not be returning for the series' second season, which was tentatively set to air in September 2011.

"It’s with a deep sense of disappointment that I must step aside from such an exceptional project as ‘Spartacus’ and all the wonderful people involved. It seems that it is time for myself and my family to embark on another extraordinary journey. Thank you sincerely for the support so far," said Whitfield.

"Our hearts and prayers are with Andy and his family during this difficult time," said Starz President and CEO Chris Albrecht. "Andy is not only an incredible actor whose portrayal of Spartacus made an indelible impression on Starz audiences, he is also an amazing human being whose courage, strength, and grace in the face of adversity have inspired all of us."

posted Hide Post
It looks like Rittenhouse released some info about thei Spartacus set. This was pulled from the Previews, coming 4/27/2011 :

Limited Edition Series-Only 200 Boxes Produced! Rittenhouse Archives presents the premiere edition of their Spartacus: Blood and Sand trading cards series, based on the hit Starz TV series! The card series will include 26 Episode Synopsis cards (2 per episode), with each card sequentially-numbered to 250 (2 cards per pack). Also look for the 9-card "Savage" sub-set, depicting the blood, violence, and action of Spartacus, sequentially-numbered to 350 (1 card per pack). Also look for 12 Autograph cards from Andy Whitfield, Lucy Lawless, John Hannah, Biba Bianca, Jai Courtney, and more! 2 autographs per premium pack! 6 Cards per pack. 15 Packs per box.

That looks like 30 auto hits per box. That can't be right can it?

Posts: 105 | Location: Mechanicsville | Registered: July 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
Well it could be right, but the math doesn't work.
2 Episode Cards/pack
1 Savage Card/pack
2 Autos/pack
--------------------
5 Cards

Last line states 6 cards?

Interesting format for RA to try though if that's the case!

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have my attention. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
They have my attention. . .

Yes it sounds interesting, but you have wonder how the distribution will work. With only 200 boxes at 15 premium packs per box there are a total of 3000 packs only. Unless people order these limited products from dealers pre-release, there's a good chance collectors won't see them, except as individual cards or packs offered you know where, for who knows how much. Frown

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarvelMorris:

That looks like 30 auto hits per box. That can't be right can it?

With a SRP of $50/pack (or $750 per 15-pack box), it certainly can be.

If I were a big-time fan of the show, I'd be pretty intrigued by this. I'm liking how these premium packs are making release structures more creative, even if I'm priced out of even sampling something like this.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:
I'm liking how these premium packs are making release structures more creative, even if I'm priced out of even sampling something like this.

If I can't find the cards I want because of limited distribution, and can't afford them on the secondary market, I would be turned off from collecting. But that's just me. Wink

posted Hide Post
I would hope they keep the box price reasonable otherwise they should just release it as a pack only set. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of willgull
posted Hide Post
Well, I collect CARDS! Not just autographs. I am already tired of the "Premium" packs. Although I am a big fan of this show, it looks like it may be another "set" priced out of my range (if the info given is true). I think my money will be better off spent on some of my other hobbies. This one is catering to a few exclusive persons and I am not part of that crowd.

Good Luck and Adieu!

Posts: 809 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by willgull:
Well, I collect CARDS! Not just autographs. I am already tired of the "Premium" packs. Although I am a big fan of this show, it looks like it may be another "set" priced out of my range (if the info given is true). I think my money will be better off spent on some of my other hobbies. This one is catering to a few exclusive persons and I am not part of that crowd.

Good Luck and Adieu!

. . . well, who knows what the set will be valued at -- there aren't that many cards in the set, and plenty of folks (like me) only will be looking for the autos so there should be lots of commons available to build sets.

Jon