Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dr who Topps
 Login/Join

Picture of monkeyafterdark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kryten67:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH8J3-VYczE
THIS IS THE TOPPS BOX BREAK....

Topps didn't pull any Autos out of 2 Boxes

Key Take aways......

The Rory Costume Card is Rare.

Billie Piper didn't sign any Silver Autos....

I'm still waiting for a company break video where the employees aren't so awfully annoying. Please, dear card companies, if you really want to make videos, do consider giving some thought about the show you'll record and publish... Hair raising!

Posts: 154 | Location: Belgium | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monkeyafterdark:
I'm still waiting for a company break video where the employees aren't so awfully annoying. Please, dear card companies, if you really want to make videos, do consider giving some thought about the show you'll record and publish... Hair raising!

Well I see what you mean, but I think you are being way too hard on them. Any expert on Dr. Who cards is going to sound like a geek when explaining the characters and plot points.

I know that when I'm in my LHS talking to other regulars about the finer points of the newest Star Trek release we all sound nutty to people who are not so inclined. At least the TOPPS employees in the video have been able to get a job out of their geeky natures. Wink

I think it is good of card companies to provide video box breaks in general, just because it can go not so well if honestly done. There were no autograph hits in either box broken and that has to hurt, since they are the big hit.

However the odds do not guarantee an autograph card in every box and if you are unlucky you could buy a number of boxes and just not pull one. So this 2 box break was an honest representation. I think that's a very refreshing thing to see and I applaud TOPPS for putting it on youtube.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the "updated" autograph list from Doctor Who Timeless. Quite a few new signers added from the previous list including Jenna Coleman. Luv You

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
With so many signers you might think that TOPPS could up the odds to get at least one autograph per box. wouldn't you? Can you hear me TOPPS? Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
If I counted right 118 different autograph cards. Who all is working on a master set?!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It would be absurd if they don't put at least 1 autograph in every box. I love how Topps and Upper Deck, while carrying super premium pricing, get away with doing these types of things that some of the smaller companies would be vilified for. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
If I counted right 118 different autograph cards. Who all is working on a master set?!

I doubt anybody's raising their hand. Wink

But as regards the 118 different cards, true, but they are the same batches of stickers. I'll bet that there will be lots of short printed cards of 25 copies and under. If you want to get really brutal, they could go under 5.

That's what I find so disingenuous about the sticker autograph card. Sure the on-card signature looks so much better, but it is also a lot more honest. You have to have the card printed first to get it signed.

Stickers are just laying around waiting for the card to be printed. If you have 100 signed stickers you could create 100 1/1 cards a year later if the card manufacturer so desired. I think collectors as a general group have gotten wise to this ploy and that is the reason that I see many numbered autograph cards that don't sell for much higher than their unnumbered versions. And by making the master set and now even the mini master set so difficult for even the committed fans to collect, instead of adding value it just discourages people from starting certain titles.

I'm not a completest, so I don't get that upset when I see these huge checklists, but I do like sets where I at least have a chance of finishing the majority of the auto run if I like the subject. Yet I see collectors complain when there are 16 autographs and no short prints. That product is too easy to complete or doesn't have enough secondary market value. So you get the flip side and have a set that no one will ever complete. Is there nothing in between? Roll Eyes

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:

Not me, i don't collect stickers.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Latest Auto Pick Up

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
This is the trouble with stickers, I have one numbered /25 so there is /10, /25, plus others - same auto just different colour card!

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
This is the trouble with stickers, I have one numbered /25 so there is /10, /25, plus others - same auto just different colour card!

Big Grin It might be trouble for collectors who don't realize that the #1 autograph card can keep coming up over and over in varying ranges. It isn't trouble for the card manufacturer. Wink

Sticker autographs can show up any time and in any product because even when the number of cards is accurately stated, the number of stickers signed is never disclosed.

I always imagine that there is a warehouse somewhere that is filled just with sticker autograph sheets hanging down like flypaper from the rafters, but I have a vivid imagination. Big Grin

Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
I will say I disagree with Raven on this. these actors get paid for these autographs whether a sticker or on card and what is the sense of over paying and keeping so many extra autographs?We sign a contract for x amount of autographs and if we need 250 for a series and are paying $10 per why would you want 200 extra as that kills any chance at making a profit if you do that with all the actors.

Posts: 3260 | Location: New York | Registered: March 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well I was being a wise guy about the warehouse and flypaper stickers obviously, but I did say it was my imagination. Big Grin

I am not surprised at your response because, please correct me if I'm wrong, Breygent hardly ever uses sticker autographs. I know you have had occasion to create dual autograph cards and I think some triples that have stickers, but I get where it is much easier to do that than try to have multiple people sign the same card. I would never think that your company keeps many of those autographs in reserve simply because you don't need many for your products and, as you rightly point out, why pay for something you may not need.

I do still believe that it wouldn't be too far out of line to think that other manufacturers with standing titles are not throwing all of their sticker signatures into one set when they know that they are going to have follow up series and will use any remaining portion in that next one. If RA can get and pay for on-card autographs ahead of time and hold them for the release they want, it would seem like holding on to sticker autographs would be even easier.

The post that I was actually responding to was about numbered autographs that have different ranges, but are essentially a very similar card. My point was that with stickers the #1 autograph, which usually gets a premium, can really be many signatures because the stickers can be affixed any time in any product, even though they may have all been signed at one sitting. If it is on-card and the card is numbered, the #1 card really was signed first and the #100 card (or whatever the maximum range) really was signed last.

Now someone may say how can you be sure they sign in numeric order, maybe they mix up the cards. Yeah I guess they could, but darn it you have to have faith in something. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
The post that I was actually responding to was about numbered autographs that have different ranges, but are essentially a very similar card. My point was that with stickers the #1 autograph, which usually gets a premium, can really be many signatures because the stickers can be affixed any time in any product, even though they may have all been signed at one sitting. If it is on-card and the card is numbered, the #1 card really was signed first and the #100 card (or whatever the maximum range) really was signed last.

Wink

And that was the WHOLE point of my post. So what if it is 5/10, 5/25, 5/50 when all that is different is the colour of the card (Sticker or no sticker). Why worry which one you have? In My opinion it is the same card - one is enough

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paul hart
posted Hide Post
I agree hammer,it laziness creating a limited auto with the same image with maybe a foil stamp.
Parallel sets on topps recent outing the same.
Most topps chase are not anymore,purely base cards on base stock.its dumbing down potential and alienating collectors big time!!!

Posts: 353 | Location: uk | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must admit I've waited 10 years for a New Series set. I decided to hold fire a bit on the first series, but seeing that auto list for the second series has put me off completely. As a Who trading card collector since Cornerstone Series 1 there's no way I'll be getting these Topps sets. Frown

Posts: 13 | Location: West Yorkshire, UK | Registered: September 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
Our raison d'être is to complete a set; to get a master set. Manufacturers these days especially topps is set to make this quest impossible. If its impossible I have no reason to collect. If I don't have a reason to collect, I don't buy boxes / cases....simples. I love star wars / dr who, bought cases in the past and now.... I have nothing on order. This is what Topps has reduced me to. I guess its their business and they can destroy it anyway they want.

Last master I got was Fringe V - go figure.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Doctor Who Timeless is looking quite MASSIVE and getting bigger still. Let's just hope the autographs are a little more generously inserted this time around as compared to the first set. Here are 4 more new signers just announced:

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Love John Simm as the Master.....This is not the photo I would've chosen.

This is

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
You can pick up a 3-card promo pack of Topps Doctor Who Timeless cards when you purchase the 12th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver from the BBC Shop. The cards are: the Dr., Clara, & Missy.

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post