Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dr who Topps
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Ordered two cases here to the UK! First was excellent, second I can't decide whether to open or sell given how much am spending!

Autos;
Ariyon Bakare #10
Trevor Laird #10
Georgina Moffett #25 Smile
Adrian Scarborough #25
Adjoa Andoh #25
Anthony Head #25
Stuart Milligan #25
Elizabeth Fost #50
Debbie Chazen #50

Medallions

Bronze #150
2nd Dr
11th Dr
Leela
Martha Jones
Rose Tyler
Jamie McCrimmon

Silver #25
3rd Dr
6th Dr
Zoe Heriot
Rory Williams

Gold #10
Bernard Cribbins signed Smile

Platinum 1/1
The War Doctor Smile

Printing Plate
#75 blue 'The Pandorica Opens'

Wardrobe
#99 The 10th Dr (trousers)
#50 Rose Tyler (Union Jack T-shirt) two colour, white/blue.

Parallels
X5 reds #25
X9 purples #50
X18 blue #99

Posts: 146 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Now I think a third set is farther off, if expected at all.

Guess again....Big Grin

2016 Topps Doctor Who Extraterrestrial Encounters

Arrives: Nov. 9

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Now I think a third set is farther off, if expected at all.

Guess again....Big Grin

Well you know what they say, when you assume, you make an *** out of u and me. Big Grin

But seriously, can anyone make any sense of this? Is this title blowing out somewhere to the point that Dr. Who card collectors are absorbing these huge sets, back to back to back? Just how many stickers does TOPPS have stored up for these actors? Just when should you buy when newer and better cards keep coming? If they were cheap I would say sure why not, but they are not cheap.

I don't get it, I don't have enough information to get it, and it's not even my title to worry about getting it.

I would just like to know if I am that out of touch with the Dr. Who card market or if this is as excessive as I ***-u-me it is? Wink

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I don't see much value in that case break what a watered down release won't touch tired of getting burned by these companies

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
2 years of nothing , Then BAM! 3 sets Back2back!

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Got burned with the first set - No More - and I LOVE Dr Who. Topps have made a right pigs ear of this (As 'make a pig's ear of ' - make a mess or muddle) Shake Head

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I suspect Topps is trying to make sure that they get full value out of the licence the BBC has given them.

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
I snagged a few Topps Vault Blank back 1/1 cards for this set.

&

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
What is the point of the blank back cards from Topps? I don't know what they are or why they appeal.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
What is the point of the blank back cards from Topps? I don't know what they are or why they appeal.

The point is that they make money off of people who think owning half a trading card is unique and attractive. I believe that they are the same people who are also buying only left shoes. Big Grin

OK, that was uncalled for, but I couldn't help myself. Razz

For a serious discussion, blank back cards used to be regarded as error cards back in the days when you had printing sheets. The poor quality control did not notice that the back of the cards had not been printed when the sheet was cut up and the cards got seeded into packs.

At one time error cards, including blank backs, were sought after by certain collectors who were willing to pay a premium for them above the price of the undamaged card. I say damaged because to me half a card is certainly damaged, but at least it was supposed to be unintentional.

The blank back cards that are being sold straight out of the Topps Vault directly to customers are being called 1/1s. They are not printing plates, but they are being promoted as some sort of proof card. They are definitely not in the category of error cards at all, because this is how the manufacturer has made them and is publicly releasing them.

There is a market for them since somebody is obviously buying them, just not me. To each his own. Smile

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
I look at them as alternative to Gold Parallel 1/1. Yes , they are more Manufactured. But, they carry a Topps Seal & Letter of Authenticity.and are basically Slabbed.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kryten67:
I look at them as alternative to Gold Parallel 1/1. Yes , they are more Manufactured. But, they carry a Topps Seal & Letter of Authenticity.and are basically Slabbed.

They are the type of rare item that a master set collector might want to add as an accessory. One blank back of a card they particularly like.

Most card collectors would not be interested, but for the right price I am sure they do find buyers just because they are 1/1s.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
The fact is 1/1 cards are the same base card with a number on it - pointless, in my opinion, blank backed cards even more pointless , again in my opinion.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
a few facts that make them attractive. Topps Vault doesn't offer these Worldwide, The only Ship in the US.

a Few can be gotten at opening bid. This set seems to have been lost in the shuffle of recent releases...so, there are Bargains to be had.

I choose episodes that I won't mind getting stuck with.

& I do ship everywhere

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Technically they are not blank backed cards as they have a silver holofoil sticker/label that states Topps vault 1/1 + a 6 figure number which probably indicates the number of sticker/labels produced as they do not form part of a cohesive numbering system connected to the card fronts, the sticker also contain two holographic words stating "secure genuine" or vice versa.

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Also Snagged this Fairly Inexpensively

#1/25

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Technically they are not blank backed cards as they have a silver holofoil sticker/label that states Topps vault 1/1 + a 6 figure number which probably indicates the number of sticker/labels produced as they do not form part of a cohesive numbering system connected to the card fronts, the sticker also contain two holographic words stating "secure genuine" or vice versa.

Whooopie Big Grin

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
So far, I've snagged 23 Topps Vault Blank Backs
here are the New Ones.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Today's Wins

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
3 more wins... Total is 30 of them Now.