Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dr who Topps
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are the autograph odds:

24 packs per box

Autographs: 1:123 packs (1 in 5.125 boxes)
Blue Autographs (#/50): 1:167 packs (1 in 6.96 boxes)
Purple Autographs (#/25): 1:335 packs (1 in 13.96 boxes)
Red Autographs (#/10): 1:835 packs (1 in 34.8 boxes)
Gold Autographs (#1/1): 1:7998 packs (1 in 333.25 boxes)
Autographed Printing Plate: 1:2115 packs (1 in 88.125 boxes)
Autographed Patch Cards: 1:2726 packs (1 in 113.58 boxes)
Autographed Costume Card: 1:49,176 packs (1 in 2049 boxes)
Dual Autographs: 1:14,051 packs (1 in 585.45 boxes)
Triple Autographs: 1:16,642 packs (1 in 693.42 boxes)
Cut Signature: 1:98,252 packs (1 in 4093.83 boxes)

Going by the 3 cut signature cards x 4093.83 boxes that works out to around 12,281 boxes made. From the stated odds it appears there are only 6 David Tennant autographed costume cards.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As much as I love Doctor Who
I am glad I am passing on this. I have a lot of the earlier Strictly Ink autograph cards so I am good there. There are a couple I will seek out though. Smile
This is the crown jewel of my Doctor Who collection:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rich65,

Posts: 193 | Location: Ca | Registered: June 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monkeyafterdark
posted Hide Post
With those odds, chances are slim of finding one of the rarer hits when buying only three boxes.
Can't afford more, though. We'll see what the breaks deliver.

Posts: 154 | Location: Belgium | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The base and chase will be nice and cheap with all these boxes and packs full of them. Smile

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Tom Baker has been announced as the final signer:

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On "Topps Talk" it is revealed that they already have signers confirming for the next set in 2016. Metal They talk all about the new set and Doctor Who in general. You can listen to it here:

http://www.topps.com/blog/topp...ur-will-see-you-now/

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And here is the 3rd and final triple autograph:

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Just been looking at these cards now that they have been released. They are very nice looking cards but who are they aimed at?

Only multi - millionaires need apply. Shake Head

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well I'll let the millionaires decide for themselves, but I can't support a product that has 31 odd signers, a fairly high SRP, and can't put an autograph in every box. This is the UD Marvel model and I don't buy those either for the same reason.

I know the quick argument is that you are likely to get a common, cheap signature from a guaranteed box anyway. To that I say fine, what adds more to the box value, a cheap autograph card or no autograph card at all? Big Grin

And to answer your question wolfie, I believe these cards are aimed at the North American card collectors who have not been into Dr. Who nearly as much as the Europeans. They won't be getting me. Wink

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Just been looking at these cards now that they have been released. They are very nice looking cards but who are they aimed at?

Only multi - millionaires need apply. Shake Head

I did notice that. I am hoping that the prices drop (at least for the 3 or 4 autographs I want) but I'm not holding my breath.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The more I read of this, the much less inclined I am to touch it at all. I was in two minds, but now.......just not for me.

Posts: 288 | Location: Behind the sofa! | Registered: April 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Not Really sure who is talking bad about this or WHY......

Topps always gives you between 5-6 Autos per case.

2 or 3 base Autos then parallel Autos & the Big Hits are the Crazy Limited or Dual or Triple Autographs.

I snagged a great Auto on the Day of release of eBay for a Joke of a price.....

Sir Derek Jacobi as the Master - Purple Foil Auto #9/25

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kryten67:
Not Really sure who is talking bad about this or WHY......

For my part, I am not talking bad about the product. The cards look very good and Dr. Who fans, who should know all these characters, are probably happy to have this out there.

I am talking bad about the format of skipping a particular type of premium hit (autograph cards) in boxes, whether it be every 3 boxes, or 4 boxes or even every other box. I don't like it from any manufacturer, in any product, and I don't buy boxes in those products simply because I don't want to have the box that has no autograph card. You already have the odds against you of pulling a TOP autograph, why should you be fighting the odds of getting ANY autograph?

I put this out there in the hopes that card manufacturers get to see at least one collector's opinion about it. I still will try to pick up product if I like the particular title, but it will be on targeted individual sales, not blind boxes. Hope that makes sense.

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Captain Sweatpants did you look at some of your earlier posts? Nothing but negative but now it's ok? Slime!

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Saw these last week at a pre-order buy it now price of $60 with $5 shipping. That same dealer has now raised his price. I probably should have bought it as it would be a set I would enjoy but the autograph odds make me now think I might be better off waiting until the price drops.

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
We've been waiting YEARS for a modern Dr Who set - now the price is too high, the odds of an auto too high all so Negative.

This must be one of the most self defeating hobbies in the world! We have a set that the base set should have some value and if you pull an auto it won't be $5 worth. We are happy with 3 $5 auto's but don't want to gamble on the $100+ auto. In the end we will get what we deserve - NOTHING

Posts: 12153 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kryten67:
Heads Up Guys..... My Distributor says Cases are now 12 Box Cases nor 8 box Cases...price also went up a Buck per box.... No Biggie

but does change my order of 20 cases to like 13.4 cases or so Unless I change it......

My Bitching about Topps still stands.....

Horrid customer service & a little info wouldn't kill them........

I've been a Doctor Who fan nearly as long as I've been a Trekkie...not Trekker.... I earned that title.

I have the Conerstone Sets & the Strickly Ink sets.......

I'm very Pleased Topps didn't Screw this up like they did with Star Wars....

I also am having a field day getting the ones I need at insane prices from Sports guys who have NO CLUE what they are Selling!

I got the Derek Jacobi for a steal!

here is what they said in the Item Description about the Card....

2015 Topps Doctor Who Trading Cards

Purple Parallel
Autographed Card from

Darek Jacobi as the Master

Crash numbered on the back #09/25

Get this great autographed card today!

So, I bought it.

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
4 boxes and no base set and they wonder why this hobby is dying. Shake Head Twak

Picture of monkeyafterdark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
4 boxes and no base set and they wonder why this hobby is dying. Shake Head Twak

Seriously? Well, now I really feel okay with my last-minute decision not to buy any boxes. I planned on three of them, but if even four boxes won't give a base set...

Posts: 154 | Location: Belgium | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post