Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dr who Topps
 Login/Join

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
My one box is being mailed out on Monday and I am excited to see it when it rolls in.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Very nice set it is too

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think the base and chase sets are the best part of this release. I just bought all 249 cards for less than the price of one box.

I will get the costume cards which seem to be quite cheap at the moment but no interest in manufactured patches or sticker autos.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Doctor Who Timeless" trading cards by Topps announced on twitter today and coming May 2016. First signer announced is Matthew Waterhouse (who played Adric).

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
quick F.Y.I.

Topps Vault has done Blank Back 1/1 of some of the Doctor Who set....

Here are the Ones I got/am Getting

The War Doctor
Rose
Doctor (11)
Doctor (10)

lost out on Doctor (8)...thought it was gonna end a day later.... oops....

More to come....

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Looking at that sheet of sticker autographs my heart just sinks. How can people pay money for these things, it is all beyond me. Shake Head

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
You can also see why we get such lousy autographs. It must be pretty hard to keep signing little bits on a sheet like that without any other framing.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I will be " sticking " ( pun intended Big Grin ) with the A03 autograph from Strictly Ink. Much better signature, on card and I suspect rather cheaper than whatever card they put those labels on.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Doesn't Topps say that "all autographs are witnessed by a Topps representative" or something along those lines? So if that's the case, why can't you just bring a small box of cards for the actors to sign instead of stickers? Confused

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
Doesn't Topps say that "all autographs are witnessed by a Topps representative" or something along those lines? So if that's the case, why can't you just bring a small box of cards for the actors to sign instead of stickers? Confused

Because if you do it this way you only have to meet the celeb once, get them to sign far more stickers than you need for this release and then use the rest to put on any old card in the future without having to jump through all the hoops again.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

Because if you do it this way you only have to meet the celeb once, get them to sign far more stickers than you need for this release and then use the rest to put on any old card in the future without having to jump through all the hoops again.

That's a good point wolfie. I didn't think of that. Thumb Up

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hi Logan, check our Alan's interesting post on the NSU Blog for a few more details. Thumb Up

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:

Hi Logan, check our Alan's interesting post on the NSU Blog for a few more details. Thumb Up

Thanks, I just read it now. Here's the excerpt about why they use stickers:

"We’re doing sticker autographs for this set,” Von Ohlen advised. “Part of it is every single person in this set is a new signer for Topps. Doctor Who has a really deep roster of awesome British talent who may be very well known in Britain but maybe not so much in the U.S.. We never had licenses that employed these actors before so as we were putting together our autograph list—one, it’s gigantic; we’re putting together a huge list of people we’re chasing down;—two, we didn’t have relationships with any of these actors before this, so we wanted to give ourselves flexibility in terms of chasing down lots of different people and stickers allow us to do that. In the future, assuming this license really takes off and consumers really love it and we put out multiple releases, I could see us doing an on-card release down the line, once we know who’s signing for us on a regular basis. It’s always easier when you know your talent. I want to be able to put in whoever we get at the last minute that we love…like, what if for some reason late in the game they come into the set, we then have the flexibly to get those stickers signed and print up a card and get it in there. You can’t do that with an on-card autograph; it doesn’t work the same way so the stickers give us that flexibility. We’re also hoping to collect a good bank of stickers so we can then put together the right combinations for dual and triple autographs and even hold for future products if we need to."

I totally see the reasoning here. I don't like it, but I understand it. And yes, stickers are still better than no autographs at all, but no, they're still not as good as on-card.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well the whole sticker autograph issue is a much larger debate and has many sides. It really should have its own thread since it goes way beyond Dr. Who and TOPPS policy.

I will throw this out there for those considering both sides. To me, RA is doing on-the-card signatures in the best way, but they have the foresight to make the cards ahead of the products that they know will be released eventually. So they have the signer do multiple cards at the same time and then just hold them until they decide what season they should go in. I'm talking about Bond, GoT and Star Trek in particular.

Now Crypto is doing a pretty good job for on-the-card autographs, but they have had some trouble figuring out which ones will be returned on time. Still we on the forum slam them when they are late, so I think they should be commended when there is an improvement. Personally I am much more positive about Cryptozoic products this year because I think they are really trying to get it right.

For the negative side of on-the-card autographs we can look at the trouble Breygent has had. I love Breygent and their products are terrific, but they have been burnt waiting for autograph cards to be returned. Two titles in particular were enormously impacted and the box construction of the final releases shows it. What happened to Breygent is the flip side of why card manufacturers want to go to stickers and it is a darn shame. That is just my take on it, I have no insider info.

There is also that security argument of stickers being more safe, but I never put much faith in that myself. Signed sticker sheets can walk off too. Anyway like I said, this is a broader issue that shouldn't hijack the thread. There is nothing like an on card signature, but if this is the best you are going to get for a comprehensive Dr. Who set, then card collectors will have to take it or leave it. I would take it if I was a fan of the series.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
As far as stickers are concerned, not a great fan but this set are pretty good. If I had the choice of stickers or no auto I would say stickers please. As for the stickers being used in the future so what, somebody could sign 6 different cards for future use! Nothing is perfect - I bet a lot of companies reading these threads think "if you think it's so easy try it!" Be grateful for what you have, it might not always be there.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kryten67:
quick F.Y.I.

Topps Vault has done Blank Back 1/1 of some of the Doctor Who set....

Here are the Ones I got/am Getting

The War Doctor
Rose
Doctor (11)
Doctor (10)

lost out on Doctor (8)...thought it was gonna end a day later.... oops....

More to come....

Snagged 2 more.....
Captain Jack Harkness ( John Barrowman ) & Rassilon (Timothy Dalton)

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are the first autograph mock-ups from "Doctor Who Timeless":

Costume cards will include the 11th Doctor’s soccer jersey and River Song’s black dress.

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
We've published some details on Doctor Who Timeless on the blog this afternoon:

Topps Announces Doctor Who Timeless

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
That Alex Kingston auto/costume is awesome!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
Nice looking cards.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post