Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Topps suing Former Artist for creating his own trading cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Topps suing Former Artist for creating his own trading cards
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
posted
Topps is suing Luis Diaz who worked for them before. Looks like he made his own sets and they are taking him to court.

Someone posted it in one of the GPK Facebook groups.

Here is a link.
The Topps vs. Louis Diaz

Posts: 9 | Location: VA | Registered: November 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Topps vs. Louis Diaz

These lowlifes are really messing things up for us legit artists.

Posts: 185 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justice41:
quote:
The Topps vs. Louis Diaz

A couple of legit artists are even messing things up for legit artists. It hasn't been mentioned on this forum, but its been an interesting year in some parts of your community.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won't pretend to understand trademark law, but I have seen plenty of other artists making markedly similar cards, including those in the GPK styles. I wonder why they are going after Diaz specifically.

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by weasel-king:
I won't pretend to understand trademark law, but I have seen plenty of other artists making markedly similar cards, including those in the GPK styles. I wonder why they are going after Diaz specifically.

Maybe he's the one ignoring the cease & desist orders.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I know that he has a website from which he sells his artbooks/sketchbooks and most come with GPK like parody cards inserted in them. I think I have 2 different.

But these cards don't look much dissimilar from some of the GPK like cards I have seen at the Philly show, given out by other artists.

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Parodies are actually protected by the 1st Amendment. Look at the stuff MAD Magazine does. Parody is even in the title. They might have a tough time with this case if the artist choses to fight a long fight, which he won't because Topps knows they can drag it out, and force the artist to settle. They have deep pockets. They are trying to create an example out of him. If you read about how Topps treated Norman Saunders i'm suprised they can get any artist to work for them.

The ultimate irony of all of this is that Garbage Pail Kids were *themselves* a parody of the now long forgotten Cabbage Patch Kids. They look like Cabbage Patch Kids. Even the logos of the two are similar, in that they are both on an arc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Studio-Hades,

Posts: 559 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The Topps vs. Louis Diaz

By lowlifes I assume you mean Topps. Who have been messing things up for legit artists for more than 60 years.

Posts: 559 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
quote:
The Topps vs. Louis Diaz

A couple of legit artists are even messing things up for legit artists. It hasn't been mentioned on this forum, but its been an interesting year in some parts of your community.

I think using the identical font used for the Garbage Pail Kids for his title was a really bad idea. So was putting it on the same arc the the original logo is on.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
These are good points especially the one about GPK being a parody itself.

quote:
Originally posted by Studio-Hades:
Parodies are actually protected by the 1st Amendment. Look at the stuff MAD Magazine does. Parody is even in the title. They might have a tough time with this case if the artist choses to fight a long fight, which he won't because Topps knows they can drag it out, and force the artist to settle. They have deep pockets. They are trying to create an example out of him. If you read about how Topps treated Norman Saunders i'm suprised they can get any artist to work for them.

The ultimate irony of all of this is that Garbage Pail Kids were *themselves* a parody of the now long forgotten Cabbage Patch Kids. They look like Cabbage Patch Kids. Even the logos of the two are similar, in that they are both on an arc.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Parodies are actually protected by the 1st Amendment. Look at the stuff MAD Magazine does. Parody is even in the title.

Garbage Pail Kids parody Cabbage Patch Kids

What is it that 'Gavage Parody Kids' are a parody of?

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:
Parodies are actually protected by the 1st Amendment. Look at the stuff MAD Magazine does. Parody is even in the title.

Garbage Pail Kids, obviously

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:

How is it a parody (a feeble or ridiculous imitation) and not a knock off (a copy or imitation of someone or something popular)?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/parody
https://www.merriam-webster.co...ctionary/knock%20off

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Not for nothing, but why does anyone want to buy these Gavage Parody Kids in the first place? If you like the GPK kids and that is what your collection is made of, why bother with someone else's similar set. Whether you want to call these imitations, or knock-offs, or parodies of a parody, they are not the original licensed product, so why spend your money on it?

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9 | Location: VA | Registered: November 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

What is it that 'Gavage Parody Kids' are a parody of?[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How is it a parody (a feeble or ridiculous imitation) and not a knock off (a copy or imitation of someone or something popular)?

Some might be parodies of other things and also a few are making fun of GPK characters. From what I read on his site it started off as a Parody CD kind of like Weird Al Yankovic and he made sketch cards.

Garbage Parody Kids CD

Looks like Topps copied him, too.

52a by Luis Diaz, on Flickr

posted Hide Post
Very interesting. . . per the article Topps was not permitted fair use via the courts, and had to 'sign an agreement' with the copyright holders to continue to produce Garbage Pail Kids.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
My favorite parts:

"During that initial run (first 3 years of GPK), the GARBAGE PAIL KIDS generated approximately $80 million in US sales and $20 million in overseas sales."

"If Defendant’s activities are not enjoined, will continue to suffer irreparable harm and injury to Topps’goodwill and reputation."

Posts: 4844 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Recent update. Very interesting.

Diaz Counterclaims

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Both parties should just settle out of court and be done with it. There is no clear winner here because at this point its parodies copying parodies and its going to be hard to prove which one came first and if the influence is enough to call it a copy or just another similar, but original work. It could drag on for a long time in court. Only the lawyers win.