Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Wars A New Hope Black and White (Topps)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars A New Hope Black and White (Topps)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Coming in February, 2018.

150 base cards, parallels, sketches, other chase

The gimmick is that nothing is in color

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
this is a joke right? Lol.

Posts: 559 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
From the monthly newsletter...

quote:
OK, Black and White is a gimmick, but in this case I really like the way it looks. Look for all black and white images in the base AND all insert cards including autographs. Best thing is the price point is a little better than what we have seen lately and there is one auto or sketch per box, so this one might be worth jumping on. Here is what we know so far:

150 Card Base Set
150 Card Sepia Tint Parallel Set (1 Per Pack)
150 Card Blue Tint Parallel Set (1:4 Packs)
150 Card Green Tint Parallel Set /99
150 Card Purple Tint Parallel Set /25
150 Card Red Tint Parallel Set /10
150 Metal 1/1 Parallel Cards
Behind The Scenes Insert Set
Concept Art Insert Set
Iconic Characters Insert Set
Poster Cards Insert Set
Autographs (1 Per Box with Sketches)
Sketches (1 Per Box with Autographs)

8 Cards Per Pack / 7 Packs Per Box / 12 Boxes Per Case

Interesting fact, the sketch cards DO NOT have to be in Black and White. Go figure...

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
...The gimmick is that nothing is in color
I presume that there was a pile of black and white still photography that has not been used before on cards.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:

I presume that there was a pile of black and white still photography that has not been used before on cards.

If that is the case then it would be a good set.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:

If that is the case then it would be a good set.

Indeed, I love when they use new/different images.

I think this set looks pretty cool, and box prices are reasonable, although there are only 7 packs per box.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Considering only some concept art /storyboards and behind the scenes stills (including promotional stills for use in media) was actually created in black and white, I wonder how they are going to fill out a 150 card base set. 98% of the posters were in color. And even the black and white posters had spot color.

Posts: 559 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of willgull
posted Hide Post
The next set will be sepia toned with an old Wild West border and glitter on the edges. Milk it for what it is worth I guess

Twak"To be the man ya gotta beat the man!"

Posts: 809 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
This set looks really cool and I'm looking forward to its release.

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I began to wonder whether Topps will run out of concepts for a new Star Wars series every couple of months. But this B&W series isn't "base set plus hits from the website," but a hobby/retail in boxes and packs. I guess with so many movies there's no shortage of autographers and sketch artists, and the retail outlets will still carry SW even if their other cards are only game related. Notice that this release covers just ANH.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:

I began to wonder whether Topps will run out of concepts for a new Star Wars series

Fear not, the saga will continue.........forever.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So it looks like on this, you will need AT LEAST 5 boxes with very little duplicates, to get a 150 card base set

Very frustrating !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi David,

Yeah, I noticed that too. You'd think with so few packs, it would have been more like a 50-75 card set which would have saved some money and allowed them to lower the price. They could have splurged on a promo.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
So it looks like on this, you will need AT LEAST 5 boxes with very little duplicates, to get a 150 card base set

Very frustrating !

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
You'd think with so few packs, it would have been more like a 50-75 card set which would have saved some money and allowed them to lower the price. Jess
[/QUOTE]

The problem is the reduction in the number of packs and the number of cards in those packs. The solution is not smaller base sets, that just adds to the dissatisfaction for me. What good is a base set so minimal it can't cover the subject?

Thor: Ragnarok has a 50 card base set and you are lucky if a box yields 65% of it. What with the premium hits and the insert sets and the parallels, you need two boxes and the right mix of base cards to complete the set. If you get the wrong doubles, two boxes will still leave you with an incomplete base set. And this is on a 50 card base set that does not even mention the last third of the film.

Don't even get me started on the new Buffys. There are many examples of too large sets and too small sets that can come to mind. The packaging contents are shrinking as we speak.

At the rate we are going all products will have base sets that are either to big to complete or too small to even call a base set. I'm not sure which one is worse.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
We've been saying for a long time how undervalued the base set is but we seem to go from one extreme to another. I'm glad that this base set will have some value but I think a base set should take no more than two boxes to complete (with good collation).

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
We've been saying for a long time how undervalued the base set is but we seem to go from one extreme to another. I'm glad that this base set will have some value but I think a base set should take no more than two boxes to complete (with good collation).

Yeah, agreed, two boxes is enough. But this brings up a suggestion about multiple boxes needed to complete a base set. They should be marked by the manufacturer so that you are not buying boxes that have similar cards and you are still ending up with missing numbers.

This is not really off topic to SW B/W if it truly takes 5 boxes with perfect collation to make a set as has been computed by David R. Even if you are willing to do that, how do you know you have the right boxes? When multiple boxes are needed, they should be alphabetically (Box A, Box B, etc.), or numerically (Box 1, Box 2, etc.) labeled, or color coded to indicate what groups of base cards are inside. And of course the collation has to be correct.

The hits can be as random as ever, but there must be some assurance that you are not just getting doubles of what you already have when you must buy multiple boxes and are perhaps getting them from different places.

If manufacturers don't do this, collectors will just buy any large base sets that they want as complete purchases from dealers and the dealers will have to assume the burden of breaking the boxes all by themselves. That will lead to all sorts of negative things for the hobby too detailed to talk about in this thread.

Every action has a reaction and extreme swings never work out well, whether you are talking about cards or anything else. Smile

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Agreed as you could buy 5 boxes and still be short of a base set. Numbering them would be good

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the base set is actually somewhat valuable, that would be excellent. After all I literally throw away 95%+ of all the base cards I get.

I totally disagree that they should number the boxes to make it easy to make base sets -- after all these are trading cards.

The reality is that the case breakers are still going to be case breakers and the box breakers are still going to be box breakers. Often times those groups aren't looking for the same thing anyway.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine was told by a dealer that he'll be selling the base set for a minimum of $ 250, so I guess I will have to pass on this SW set, unfortunately.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
A friend of mine was told by a dealer that he'll be selling the base set for a minimum of $ 250, so I guess I will have to pass on this SW set, unfortunately.

Maybe I'm seeing bad info, but it looks like there will be about 12 boxes per case. So if there is a set in 5 boxes you should get 2 sets per case. I'm seeing people saying they are buying cases for $600. So a $250 price per set doesn't seem viable.

We'll see. . . I've seen lots of hype about one base set or another all the sudden selling for lots of money, but I've never actually experienced it.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post