Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    No more Cryptozoic trading cards?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No more Cryptozoic trading cards?
 Login/Join

posted
No more announcements of new Cryptozoic trading card editions (Outlander Season 3, Downton Abbey 3&4 etc.).
I wonder if this is the end. I would find it sad.

Do you have any news?

Posts: 24 | Location: Europe | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Supergirl season 1 and Legends of Tomorrow seasons 1&2 both due for release Q2 of 2018.

The first release of Downton Abbey tanked, doubtful you will see any more of that. Outlander season 2 only came out September 2017, probably expect season 3 same time this year if season 2 sold as well as season 1.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
Supergirl season 1 and Legends of Tomorrow seasons 1&2 both due for release Q2 of 2018.

The first release of Downton Abbey tanked, doubtful you will see any more of that. Outlander season 2 only came out September 2017, probably expect season 3 same time this year if season 2 sold as well as season 1.

Thanks for your answer. I see your point but in the past there were quite a lot announcements for the whole year. Sometimes you have to wait very long til release.
Now there are two annoucements for Q2. For me it looks like the end.

example:
"Outlander Season 2" announcement 2016!
read this article

Posts: 24 | Location: Europe | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
I think they'll probably be doing more digital cards in the future because of the lack luster physical trading card sales. From there, I can see them evacuating which releases are popular and trying to some physical trading cards like with Rick and Morty.

Also, I can see them trying something a little different and combining properties into one release. Something like an "Arrowverse" release that combines all the DC television shows into one bigger product release.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The new NSU has a promo for Rick and Morty. When is that card set coming ?

I spoke to someone who attended the Industry Summit show in late Feb. Last year Crypto gave out a bunch of new promos there, but this time it was only a Supergirl promo, not an exclusive, but the same P3 from the Philly show, I believe

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about the end of Outlander cards or the end of Cryptozoic?

The Outlander cards seem to have been pretty popular so far, but the series seasons are slow to come out. And CZE is scheduled to release other titles this year. Downton is indeed finished, as are a couple of other titles.

I have heard no other rumors about CZE, so this thread title is a bit misleading, unless you know something else?

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I know they said no more Gotham or Arrow

What other titles are coming, aside from Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, and Rick and Morty ?

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The Flash Season 3, Outlander Season 3 and Bombshells II are TBA in 2018, as well as what you mentioned. Gotham and Arrow were dropped for poor sales according to CZE.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Cryptozoic had a dinner in their honour at the last Philly Show and gave a talk on the Sunday. They are still heavily into trading cards (and looking at digital as well). I think they are in for the long haul (sales permitting Big Grin)

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Are you talking about the end of Outlander cards or the end of Cryptozoic?

I have heard no other rumors about CZE, so this thread title is a bit misleading, unless you know something else?

It has nothing to do with Outlander. One the whole I miss new announcements for 2018. There a so many new great tv series on the market. I find it quite unusual. From a marketing point a view I would start earlier the announcement for Outlander 3 to increase the interest. Just like the last time.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Cryptozoic had a dinner in their honour at the last Philly Show and gave a talk on the Sunday. They are still heavily into trading cards (and looking at digital as well). I think they are in for the long haul (sales permitting Big Grin)

Great news because I like the CZE cards. Really nice designs.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear they will not be doing anymore Arrow or Gotham cards.

Posts: 526 | Location: nj | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ts:

Trouble was not enough people purchased them

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ts:

As far as Gotham goes, my wallet says different Big Grin

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ts:

As far as Gotham goes, my wallet says different Big Grin

Ok, not enough people had a wallet filled with as much cash as you Big Grin

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Cryptozoic isn't slowing down. Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, Rick and Morty, Bombshells II. We are so used to companies pumping out set after set that when one company spreads out what they release it is unusual. Also they take care in what they put out so it takes longer to release a set when you have to make sure it is good to go first.

They are also more than trading cards. Plenty of digital releases, games and vinyl figures have been released over the last couple of years too.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think it's most likely that Crypto, just as they did with autograph signer announcements, have learnt not to put things out there too soon.

How many times did they announce a set, and then it didn't come out for over a year and the release date got pushed back twice? Or announce things, only for it to be cancelled because in the end they didn't actually get the cards.

Notice how new announcements now come with a good chunk of the autographs already in hand. The difference is not that they're slowing down, it's that they're not making the announcements until more details of them are properly finalised. It's a better tactic, because they have much less exposure to looking like fools for announcing things they can't deliver.

They're obviously also working harder on design now. The Supergirl, Legends, and Arrow 4 sets are easily their best looking cards of all time (apart from the Arrow 4 costume cards, which are horrible).

All that said, there are dark and painful places I can suggest for them to stick digital releases.

And their "Star Power" subsets need to end as well.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of <<<<ALDO_NOVA>>>>
posted Hide Post
Loved the Gotham cards, still have another box to break of them, sad to see that no more are coming out as it's a very interesting show!

Posts: 217 | Location: Where you can't find me!!!!!! | Registered: August 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it sounds as if Crypto's still going strong. One of my favorite manufacturers. I think given the slight dip in the trading card trend at the moment, it's better they pace releases. And focus on profitable ones, they are a business after all. Though shame for fans of Arrow, Gotham and Downton Abbey. Looking forward to their upcoming sets.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
They're also inserting cards in Cryptkins figures, at least 14 different cards so far, maybe more to come