Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Breygent Marketing gets American Horror Story
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breygent Marketing gets American Horror Story
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beamer:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Floyd:

Couldn't agree more, it seems they like to promo us to death.

I like the series, and the cards look good so far, but I am thinking about skipping the whole set.

So because of a few odd promos, you won't collect the set? How does that make sense. If a set had a rare card that was produced let's say an Allison Hannigan auto from Buffy (very rare) you wouldn't buy the set, if you liked the title?
Same difference.
Every card set has rare cards so with that thought, you would never collect any card set.

It's my personal preference, and I find it no fun to pay $100 for two promo cards. That's all. Other people can do what they like, I'm not stopping them. I will, as I said, cherry pick this set, but I won't go after it like I'd wanted to.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear both of your comments

Tom

Posts: 3260 | Location: New York | Registered: March 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I like to get the promos for the sets I'm collecting, sure, but I don't consider them a must. They are just advertising to me, and not part of the regular set.

But When there are especially rare promos, it is a good idea that the image on those also appear in the regular set, so the picture on the promo is at least attainable on a regular card for those who'd like to have it without spending an arm and a leg.

While it is unfortunate that the rarity of promos could cause the hardcore completionist to understandably not buy a set, there is a resulting effect that is not so bad. I call it "more for me!".

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Breygent Marketing:
Sorry to hear both of your comments

Tom

Don't get me wrong, Tom. You put out consistent, quality products, but this is just a personal preference of mine. Chalk it up to you can't please everyone all the time. Some people don't mind this and actually like the rarity of the promos. Perhaps if my funds were limitless I might feel differently. I am looking forward to the autographs and props from this set though.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The manufacturers are in a no win here. If they produce something nice for a show etc folks get a bit down if they want to collect the set but on the otherhand if they don't produce anything they are accused of doing nothing for the shows and the hobby.

Personally I am happy they are produced as they now exist and who knows if I win the lottery I will be able to buy everyone one each. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'll hold you to that, Wolfie!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I need to rewatch the first season. We skipped the second season after 2 eps.

Since we don't collect movie/tv cards often, I'm going to skip this one. Especially due to the rarity of the promos, and devote my time and money to the rare Grimm promos. I think I'm only missing two of them.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think everyone is being silly! These are only promos designed to peak interest in a set prior to release. Tom goes above and beyond creating different promos for each show. Most companies issue only one.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I agree about Tom.

Not everyone is being silly. I'm not. You're not. Wink

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Since the subject has come up, the thing I find even more disturbing than super rare promos is this new idea of issuing a small preview set before the release of the "real" set.

That 9 or 10 card preview also contains 1 or 2 autographs or relics and the whole preview package is more expensive than most of the things in the regular set, whenever it shows up.

Now if you want this product you are locked into getting the preview too or else the set feels incomplete. I myself don't care about promos. I can understand where some people would, but if you have rare promos what is the sense of a limited preview set? I know the answer, more money spent. Big Grin

Posts: 10378 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doc Floyd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beamer:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Floyd:

Couldn't agree more, it seems they like to promo us to death.

I like the series, and the cards look good so far, but I am thinking about skipping the whole set.

So because of a few odd promos, you won't collect the set? How does that make sense. If a set had a rare card that was produced let's say an Allison Hannigan auto from Buffy (very rare) you wouldn't buy the set, if you liked the title?
Same difference.
Every card set has rare cards so with that thought, you would never collect any card set.

A lot of things in this world don't make sense. I may have been a bit brash, and didn't mean to step on anyone's toes.

It's just so many hitting at one time, hard for some folks to keep up.

Collecting little pieces of cardboard doesn't make sense either, to a lot of people. I get asked by friends "What's with all these cards? Are you nuts?"

I was able to acquire all the AHS promos, until the Applecards versions came out.

And to Tom, you do a great job. I just like to complain sometimes.

Posts: 147 | Location: NC | Registered: October 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
Won an auction on eBay for almost all of the promos (just missing the Applecards ones) - they came in today, very very happy right now!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Have I mentioned how excited I am for this set???

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monkeyafterdark
posted Hide Post
The applecards promos do seem to be the most elusive of the bunch. I missed-out on an eBay auction yesterday. Let's hope some show up in the future.
At the moment, I'm missing the Applecards (what is "applecards"? Can't really seem to find any info on that...) and the Chicago promos.

And what's this about a preview set, Raven? Will there be one for AHS, Tom?

I could do with some more information about the release in general as the planned release date draws ever closer.

Posts: 154 | Location: Belgium | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monkeyafterdark:

(what is "applecards"? Can't really seem to find any info on that...)

Applecards is a UK based dealer.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is the first I've heard of Applecards promos for this set. How many different ones are there, and where have you seen them ? I don't see any on the U.S. or UK auction sites, even completed auctions

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've seen them now. And he also has exclusives for Grimm, Dawn, and Transformers, too. Frown

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I've seen them now. And he also has exclusives for Grimm, Dawn, and Transformers, too. Frown

I believe he is the biggest U.K. distributor for Tom's product so it is understandable that Tom will produce exclusive Promos for Applecards.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Are we now telling people what to collect and how to collect?

I wish there was a time machine and I could go back to the 90's way of collecting.

Speaking of the 90's. I see some of the gimmicks, rarity, and especially the flooding of the market in some areas leading up the the collapse of the card market again.

I said that for years about busts/statues, and surprisingly it hasn't totally crashed, but IMO, is in a recession. Main fault is over production, rarities, unjustified rise in prices, and lies and confusion from manufactures. Just like I've seen in the past year and a half in the card market.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:

That's the closed auction, right?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monkeyafterdark:
And what's this about a preview set, Raven? Will there be one for AHS, Tom?

I could do with some more information about the release in general as the planned release date draws ever closer.

There is a very nice article in the current NSU about the AHS Murder House cards. I hope no one minds if I quote the specific paragraph written by Rudy Panucci.

"For the non-sports hobby, the horror kicks off in May, with a preview set consisting of 12 cards which cover the Pilot episode of Season One. There will also be a chase set featuring six key characters, and a two-card autograph chase set. This will be followed in July with both a full-blown set and a special Comic-Con International set."

There's a lot of other good stuff in there, so you will have to get the mag for the rest. Big Grin

My comment about the preview sets wasn't meant for AHS, but as a general observation because of the talk about rare promos. I don't collect promos, but anything with autographs interests me and these previews seem to have limited autographs. There is also a preview set for Star Trek Into Darkness coming out now that has the Pine and Quinto autographs. The real movie set is not expected until the end of year.

I see small preview sets as a new idea, kind of the opposite of the small expansion sets we have had before. The expansions come after a set has been released and now the previews are coming before release. I have no idea what the preview for AHS will utimately cost. The SRP on the Star Trek one is very expensive and there is another thread about it. I guess if preview sets go over well we will see more products with them.

Posts: 10378 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post