Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Batman
 Login/Join
 
Member
Picture of AWR
posted
Here is some info on the upcoming release of the original Batman on Blue Ray / DVD. A set of 44 vintage trading cards will be included with the package. Not sue if these would be considered promos or a set.

http://www.digitalbits.com/col...wo-cents/072814_1430
 
Posts: 303 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Great information!

The set looks to reprint the original illustrated Batman cards from 1966 (or so) when the show was still airing new episodes on television.

They look sharp, as does the rest of the stuff, but wow, it sure ain't cheap, $200 for the DVD version and $270 for the Blu-ray (although those are full retail prices, so we should be able to get them for less online or at Best-Buy, etc., especially right after the set is released).

In the past, when cards were included in a set like this, I'll often buy the set just to get the card (or card like item) from it and then sell the rest as unused but not wrapped with the note that only the cards are missing, and you can often still get pretty close to same price you paid, since most people aren't card collectors and are happy for a 10% or even %15 discount on an item you can still guarantee them looks and plays like new. I'd be happy to pay $20 for just the cards, and a lot of people are happy to save $20 on a set missing only the cards, which would be the end result if you bought it new for $200 and sold it without the cards but otherwise new for $180.

Still, at $200 out of pocket to begin with, it's a bigger risk than I usually take, but I do want those cards, so we'll see...

____________________
Everywhere around this burg they're running out of verbs, adverbs, and adjectives. Everywhere around this town, they're running out of nouns.
 
Posts: 2940 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
So basically, for the extra $40 for BluRay over DVD, you get these four additional things:

1) Hot Wheels® Replica Batmobile
2) The Adam West Scrapbook
3) 44 Vintage Trading Cards (should say Vintage-style or Vintage Reproduction, though. These aren't actual vintage cards)
4) Ultraviolet Digital Copy

plus, the higher quality Bluray picture on all of the actual content

Seems like the BluRay is a no brainer at those prices.

Thanks!

____________________
Everywhere around this burg they're running out of verbs, adverbs, and adjectives. Everywhere around this town, they're running out of nouns.
 
Posts: 2940 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
Agreed.

They wouldn't have been able to keep then in stock if buying one gave you the opportunity to have the set signed by both right there.

Of course, the line would have been long, but with the price point at nearly $200, they would have kept the queue moving quickly.
 
Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
Kind of a bummer that the cards reissued didn't have anything specifically to do with the show.

They're the painted ones. Not the 1966 "Bat Laffs" series that accurately portrays the show reflected on the BluRay set they are included with.

Holy missed opportunity!!
 
Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mintoncard:
Kind of a bummer that the cards reissued didn't have anything specifically to do with the show.

They're the painted ones. Not the 1966 "Bat Laffs" series that accurately portrays the show reflected on the BluRay set they are included with.

Holy missed opportunity!!

Probably another licensing issue. It's a miracle the DVD set is even being released!
 
Posts: 1317 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mintoncard:
Agreed.

They wouldn't have been able to keep then in stock if buying one gave you the opportunity to have the set signed by both right there.

Of course, the line would have been long, but with the price point at nearly $200, they would have kept the queue moving quickly.


I think the 2012 New York Comic Con was the only time in many years that West and Ward were together for autographs. Ward was the harder of the two and it cost a lot to get both their signatures.

They may have been able to sell some of the Batman DVDs, but making it a package deal with dual autographs was not going to happen.
 
Posts: 7776 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of HIM
posted Hide Post
In for the blu ray set. Flip the uv code an it gets better.

____________________
Stuff For Trade-
https://picasaweb.google.com/103658828018382987910
 
Posts: 2485 | Location: Austin Tx | Registered: December 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
"Flip the uv code?"
Is that what the kids are calling it these days?
 
Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by mintoncard:
Agreed.

They wouldn't have been able to keep then in stock if buying one gave you the opportunity to have the set signed by both right there.

Of course, the line would have been long, but with the price point at nearly $200, they would have kept the queue moving quickly.


I think the 2012 New York Comic Con was the only time in many years that West and Ward were together for autographs. Ward was the harder of the two and it cost a lot to get both their signatures.

They may have been able to sell some of the Batman DVDs, but making it a package deal with dual autographs was not going to happen.


When they were in Denver in June this set was all they both could talk about. They said they had just finished recording commentary tracks for it and had a great time.

____________________
Ok 1 more pack then I'am done...no really..wait how many are left in that box?

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/
 
Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of anthonyd
posted Hide Post
I was surprised the 44 cards were not of the Batman movie ... which had a card set back in the day...

Of course, they could have done a whole new set to "show off" the remastered series.
 
Posts: 802 | Location: MA | Registered: March 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raven:

I think the 2012 New York Comic Con was the only time in many years that West and Ward were together for autographs. Ward was the harder of the two and it cost a lot to get both their signatures.
QUOTE]

They've been doing shows together for the last year if not longer. NYCC 2012 was probably when they started touring together as it seems like after that they've been everywhere.

____________________
Twitter = L_Inglis_artist
Facebook = LauraInglis7
http://laurainglisillustration.com
 
Posts: 1341 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WandringRebel:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raven:

I think the 2012 New York Comic Con was the only time in many years that West and Ward were together for autographs. Ward was the harder of the two and it cost a lot to get both their signatures.
QUOTE]

They've been doing shows together for the last year if not longer. NYCC 2012 was probably when they started touring together as it seems like after that they've been everywhere.


Sorry, I spoke based on the past I guess. A friend of mine is a big Batman fan and she went nuts about getting Ward's autograph at NYCC 2012 Con. I thought the price was stupid money, but she swore he never did shows like West and that the price was worth it because it was so rare.

Well so much for rare, but that is actually pretty normal. Some celebrities refuse to sign for a long time, but as they get older and poorer their habits change. And that is why you should never invest too heavily in scarce autographs. You never know when the flood gates will suddenly open and prices go south.
 
Posts: 7776 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course, they could have done a whole new set to "show off" the remastered series.


That would require effort and creativity.
Just chuck a Batmobile in there. Wink
 
Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I have no interest in this which is sad but I have all the original sets plus the 1989 reprint set; for the cost of this go out and get a nice Red Bat set from 1966!

____________________
"The problem, I'm told, is more than medical."
 
Posts: 5655 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by WandringRebel:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raven:

I think the 2012 New York Comic Con was the only time in many years that West and Ward were together for autographs. Ward was the harder of the two and it cost a lot to get both their signatures.
QUOTE]

They've been doing shows together for the last year if not longer. NYCC 2012 was probably when they started touring together as it seems like after that they've been everywhere.


Sorry, I spoke based on the past I guess. A friend of mine is a big Batman fan and she went nuts about getting Ward's autograph at NYCC 2012 Con. I thought the price was stupid money, but she swore he never did shows like West and that the price was worth it because it was so rare.

Well so much for rare, but that is actually pretty normal. Some celebrities refuse to sign for a long time, but as they get older and poorer their habits change. And that is why you should never invest too heavily in scarce autographs. You never know when the flood gates will suddenly open and prices go south.


The trend lately is prices only go up. West and Ward seem to raise their prices on a yearly basis. I've heard Norman Reedus is now up to $80 and he does a TON of shows and wasn't nearly that much a few years ago.

____________________
Twitter = L_Inglis_artist
Facebook = LauraInglis7
http://laurainglisillustration.com
 
Posts: 1341 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WandringRebel:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by WandringRebel:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raven:

I think the 2012 New York Comic Con was the only time in many years that West and Ward were together for autographs. Ward was the harder of the two and it cost a lot to get both their signatures.
QUOTE]

They've been doing shows together for the last year if not longer. NYCC 2012 was probably when they started touring together as it seems like after that they've been everywhere.


Sorry, I spoke based on the past I guess. A friend of mine is a big Batman fan and she went nuts about getting Ward's autograph at NYCC 2012 Con. I thought the price was stupid money, but she swore he never did shows like West and that the price was worth it because it was so rare.

Well so much for rare, but that is actually pretty normal. Some celebrities refuse to sign for a long time, but as they get older and poorer their habits change. And that is why you should never invest too heavily in scarce autographs. You never know when the flood gates will suddenly open and prices go south.


The trend lately is prices only go up. West and Ward seem to raise their prices on a yearly basis. I've heard Norman Reedus is now up to $80 and he does a TON of shows and wasn't nearly that much a few years ago.


Weird. Reedus was only £30/$50 at a UK show last year.
 
Posts: 3003 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WandringRebel:
The trend lately is prices only go up. West and Ward seem to raise their prices on a yearly basis. I've heard Norman Reedus is now up to $80 and he does a TON of shows and wasn't nearly that much a few years ago.


I can understand Reedus, he is playing a popular character on a popular show. Once the show ends and the next hot thing comes along, who knows how his career goes. He has to make his money now, while collectors are willing to shell it out.

I am less understanding of why people would still pay so much money for West and Ward signatures at shows. West has signed autographs for Batman just about everywhere since the show ended 40 years ago. He has certified autographs in card sets. There is no shortage of his stuff.

Ward did not do signings for Robin until three or four years ago, so his higher price was based on rarity. Only now you say he is doing tours with West, which means that his signature is in greater supply. This should bring down the price of West and Ward signings, rather than increase it. But I guess if collectors are willing to pay what I call stupid money for in-person autographs, than that is the going price and it doesn't matter if it makes no logical sense. Big Grin
 
Posts: 7776 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
I won't be touching this release until there is a Region B package equal to the US, including the UltraViolet download.
 
Posts: 3744 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
I won't be touching this release until there is a Region B package equal to the US, including the UltraViolet download.
Er, you mean like the one up on Amazon.co.uk ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Batman...f=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_12

region free with all the extras and the Ultra-violet download.
 
Posts: 1325 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 


© Non-Sport Update 2013