Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    The Wicker Man 40th Anniversary
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Wicker Man 40th Anniversary
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I understand what Bacall1 means completely. I wanted to get a couple of boxes Avengers and thought I had an order with a dealer. It fell through and boy was I glad of it when I saw the breaks.

Limited product is all good and well, but it of itself does not make for value. Sure you can catch a bigger signer, but those autographs are few and far between here. You need at least a sketch in every box to give you some room to recoup costs. Without that, you have only the autograph to make it somewhat closer to what you paid or else you just may as well pick up a base set and save a lot of money.

So whenever I see these odds of one sketch in two or one sketch in three boxes, I always say fine for those lucky ones who get it, but I will pass.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I understand what Bacall1 means completely. I wanted to get a couple of boxes Avengers and thought I had an order with a dealer. It fell through and boy was I glad of it when I saw the breaks.

Limited product is all good and well, but it of itself does not make for value. Sure you can catch a bigger signer, but those autographs are few and far between here. You need at least a sketch in every box to give you some room to recoup costs. Without that, you have only the autograph to make it somewhat closer to what you paid or else you just may as well pick up a base set and save a lot of money.

So whenever I see these odds of one sketch in two or one sketch in three boxes, I always say fine for those lucky ones who get it, but I will pass.

heh, well the proof will be in the pudding, that's for sure. There aren't a lot of box breaks posted these days, and even fewer for limited releases, but I'll post mine for sure, so it'll be interesting to see what I get given my earlier comments made through my usual rose colored lenses.

But no matter what's in there, it'll still be only anecdotal since only 3 out of 1,200 boxes shown is just .25% of the whole run, although it will be an ironclad example of what someone can reasonably expect for $200 from this manufacturer with this product line. I do hope we see a case break as that would be a much better indicator of the exact ratios of things.

I'm in a better place with these going in perhaps, since I tend to only get cards these days of subjects I really like, so it's hard for me to feel as though I'm "stuck" with anything. Whatever the sets and regular inserts happen to sell for, I'll value the extra base sets I get at about $10 each and the extra chase cards at about $5 each for trade value purposes at least, should they end up not sellable for that. If I have to hold them for a while, they have lots of company, they'll be all right.

As for the sketches, I've seen them, and I would be happy with pretty much any of them and for that reason value them at $20 each even if they only sit in my binders and are never sold for even that much. I feel pretty much the same way about the common autographs. I'll be pleased to have any of them so a minimum value for them is already built in for me, and is not altered by whatever aftermarket prices may be.

I'm also looking forward to the film cards. I generally like those kinds of card. There are plenty of scenes in "Wicker Man" that would make really nice mounted film clips, so that was a smart value-adding move Unstoppable made. Upper Deck, Topps, and Artbox have all made some beauties in that format and if these follow suit as I suspect they will, they will add to my opinion of the overall "worth" of what I get from the boxes.

That said, I hope to get a knockout sketch, a Lee or Ekland autograph, or even one of those cuts, of course, but if I get a nondescript break, I didn't lose $200. I got at least half of that in card value and had plenty of chances at something better, even if it didn't work out this time.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Limited product is all good and well, but it of itself does not make for value.

For me, most of the value in this set is that it exists at all! I'm buying a few boxes because I enjoy the subject, not to make a profit. I feel it's affordable enough to be a fun break.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
According to the Unstoppable website if you bought a box and binder you were supposed to get an exclusive card limited to 100, and another to 200

I received UCP1 marked of 100

I also received a film card FC1. Is that the 1/200 card ????

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
According to the Unstoppable website if you bought a box and binder you were supposed to get an exclusive card limited to 100, and another to 200

I received UCP1 marked of 100

I also received a film card FC1. Is that the 1/200 card ????

The promo UCP1 is printed to be numbered out of 100 but I have not seen any of them with a number on.

All the film cells are numbered FC1, they are not a promo, as far as I know they were sent out with the orders because they were too big to go in the packs.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see two cut autos from the set are up for sale on ebay from one seller , how many cut autos were there in total

Posts: 312 | Location: united kingdom | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vampy:
I see two cut autos from the set are up for sale on ebay from one seller , how many cut autos were there in total

It says in the eBay seller's descriptions that the Edward Woodward is 1 of 7 made and the Ingrid Pitt is 1 of 10 made. If you mean different cuts (signers) that I don't know.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a post on Unstoppable's FB page which gave the numbers of the cut cards. Went back to check but can't find it. The cut cards were Edward Woodward, Diane Cilento, Ingrid Pitt, and one of Tony Roper. Can't remember numbers of top of my head, sorry.
Looks like the Edward Card is made from undistributed Cards Inc Saint auto cards going by the design.

Posts: 288 | Location: Behind the sofa! | Registered: April 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spencer Quist:
Looks like the Edward Card is made from undistributed Cards Inc Saint auto cards going by the design.

Looking at the one on ebay it is definatly a cut up autograph from The Saint. There is also an Ingrid Pitt which looks very much like a Hammer Horror autograph card which has been cut up.

Are these cut autographs coming out of packs because I have not heard of anyone finding one in a pack?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I've heard the cut cards went out the multi case buyers and were never in the packets. Sure Jason will correct me if not the case.

Posts: 288 | Location: Behind the sofa! | Registered: April 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spencer Quist:
From what I've heard the cut cards went out the multi case buyers and were never in the packets. Sure Jason will correct me if not the case.

I hope that is not true Frown . I know that some of the top sketches were given out as incentives rather than pack inserted but thought the cuts would be in the boxes. They really should not have been advertised on the sell sheets if you had no chance of puling them Shake Head .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
There was a giveaway advertised via FB before Christmas. Failed to materialise so far!

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There's also a cut on eBay now of Barbara Rafferty. Supposedly it was a 25-case incentive and the only one in existence.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Different styles to the cut cards too! Some have the signature embedded in a two layer card. While others are a normal card with signature stuck on the front. Going by the photos anyway.
Sorry BTW, forgot the Barbara Rafferty card it was also in list on FB.

posted Hide Post
#6 may be a cut Roy Boyd, for some reason. Again from memory.
Edit: was wrong, of course.
Here's the cut auto breakdown.
Ingrid Pitt (1/13), Edward Woodwood (1/8), John Hallam (1/1) , Tony Roper (1/1) and Barbara Rafferty (1/1) Diane Cilento (1/3)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Spencer Quist,