Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Elvis Cards (Topps)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elvis Cards (Topps)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
From Topps:

Elvis Presley, both on and off the stage, did much to revolutionize and redefine entertainment. On the 45th year after Elvis’ passing, Topps has put together a retrospective of the King of Rock and Roll, celebrating his historic legacy. Topps commemorates the life and career of Elvis Presley with exclusive photography and new, unique card designs that tell the historic and captivating story of the King.

Each week we will offer 3 cards, totaling 150 over the course of the year, depicting some of Elvis’ greatest moments. Collect them all!

https://www.topps.com/cards-co...520268-0-gaNycGzNCRE

Posts: 4008 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Look for Foil Parallel Cards!

For every card, a /45 Pink (for the 45th year after Elvis’ passing), /10 Blue, /5 Red, or 1/1 Gold card will be randomly inserted into print runs.

Posts: 4008 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
While I am glad to see something 'new' I'm curious how many collectors will chase this.

The House of Checklists already lists 15 Elvis sets.

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over $1,000 for a complete set? That's crazy.

Posts: 64 | Location: The World | Registered: August 03, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of jademaliburoad
posted Hide Post
It's the first time that I see a set being released that way.

I'm torn because you may forget to buy each week, and end up missing some cards.

I always like to see samples of all the cards, and I don't see here a general overview of the full set.

Posts: 1188 | Location: France | Registered: April 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think Topps did something similar with one of their Star Wars sets, 2-3 years ago. Or maybe I am thinking of an American history set they did.

1 card a week, for 52 weeks.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
If you want Elvis, go back and pick up the Press Pass sets. Between 2006 and 2010 Press Pass put out a series of sets including Elvis Lives, Elvis the Music, Elvis Is and Essential Elvis.

The autograph cards and relics in these products are exceptional. No Elvis cuts that I remember, but his signature is the only thing missing. Many of the signers (co-stars) are deceased now. These cards are super for displays and for some reason have not jumped very much in price like some lesser cards.

I imagine it's a matter of demand for younger generations, but TOPPS seems to think there is enough demand for this weekly format, which they have used before for Preacher and Star Wars and Bernie's Mittens. Big Grin I don't know how many people will be willing to buy into it for Elvis when the end total will be substantial and it feels like a job to get them all. Also, it won't beat what's already out there. Wink

Posts: 10405 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like $ 25 each week for 3 cards

$ 25 x 52 weeks = $ 1300

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Elvis has been well-covered in cards. You'd think Topps would have done a Beatles set first and timed it for last year's release of the re-edited documentary by Peter Jackson and then could have used that as an indicator of how well an Elvis set might do. He was huge with my parents' generation and a lot of the Elvis collectors in that group are also card collectors. I remember him active in the 70's and when he passed away but don't have any Elvis cards other than some promos and that might be said of many card collectors of my generation (people born in the 60's) though there are Elvis collectors around my age as well. It's an odd choice given that people born in the 80's are now nostalgic about action figures and other stuff from the 80's and 90's and that seems to be the last generation including a lot of card collectors.

I hope it works out for Topps. At least they're trying something a little different.

quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
While I am glad to see something 'new' I'm curious how many collectors will chase this.

The House of Checklists already lists 15 Elvis sets.

Posts: 4392 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Topps issued cards of the Beatles in the 1960's) and Elvis in the 1950's and the Rolling Stones in the 1960's here in the UK under their offshoot A & BC Gum.
regards

John

Posts: 2121 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Something I find a little strange is that we know that TOPPS card division has been sold to Fanatics. TOPPS is keeping the candy part, but all card production will cease once the deal goes through. These Elvis cards are going to run for 52 weeks. Seems odd that Fanatics would approve a running project like this when it sounded as though they were taking over quickly. I wouldn't want to be locked into completing the last owner's commitment, so why start it now?

Posts: 10405 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Something I find a little strange is that we know that TOPPS card division has been sold to Fanatics. TOPPS is keeping the candy part, but all card production will cease once the deal goes through. These Elvis cards are going to run for 52 weeks. Seems odd that Fanatics would approve a running project like this when it sounded as though they were taking over quickly. I wouldn't want to be locked into completing the last owner's commitment, so why start it now?

Topps was sold to Fanatics. The candy division is now called Bazooka Inc.

Likely this deal with Presley's estate was struck a while ago. Even if they average 500-1,000 copies per card, that's a lot of $ over 150 cards especially when you factor in the price per card and there's no middleman. Topps has done several sets similar to this. If they weren't making money, they probably wouldn't keep doing them. The model actually fits with what Fanatics has said they'll be approaching things.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:
Topps was sold to Fanatics. The candy division is now called Bazooka Inc.

Likely this deal with Presley's estate was struck a while ago. Even if they average 500-1,000 copies per card, that's a lot of $ over 150 cards especially when you factor in the price per card and there's no middleman. Topps has done several sets similar to this. If they weren't making money, they probably wouldn't keep doing them. The model actually fits with what Fanatics has said they'll be approaching things.

Well that's just the "TOPPS Now" model, which produced custom made to order cards that all looked cheap to me, even though they were pretty expensive and a pain if you wanted to order weekly. I can see the benefits of this for the card maker, but it drastically changes how the card collector obtains new products, if that is Fanatics' preferred approach. I think this may appeal to some set builders, but many collectors will simply turn to titles sold traditionally or go back to what's already been made if the industry has left them behind.

Does Fanatics plan on keeping the TOPPS brand name? Probably, I guess.

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:

I have no idea where or how they get the data, but someone on blowout posted that the first card sold slightly more than 1500 copies, which was WAY higher than I was expecting.

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post