Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Worst Sketch Ever
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Worst Sketch Ever
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted
I usually don't complain, but Topps should be ashamed about this after I paid $100 for this box:

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
You know i'm laughing my head off but i do truly feel sorry for you. Shake Head

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Unless this one is redone over and over, I'd still say the Waterhouse monkey from Indy Heritage is worse (possibly because I fell victim to it, so it's personal).

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:
Unless this one is redone over and over, I'd still say the Waterhouse monkey from Indy Heritage is worse (possibly because I fell victim to it, so it's personal).

The Waterhouse sketches were awful, but those boxes went for $35 - $40. To pull that piece of garbage from a $100 box is a disgrace. Twak

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Sketches are subjective to one's own taste. I don't think Shum's mother would give this house room. I can only think that Topps quality control is on a permanent vacation. I've just been to a 4 year-olds birthday party and he was turning out better on his etch-a-sketch. I suggest you bend the corner and send it back for a replacement (as a damaged card) Mad

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
I usually don't complain, but Topps should be ashamed about this after I paid $100 for this box:

Why does this guy even put his name to these sketches? He should be ashamed.

Maybe he should buy $ 100 worth of gas and someone give him an empty tank.

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh man, that is just wrong to insert that in a $100 box of cards. Or any box, for that matter. Shake Head

I guess Topps reasoning is the same as with their sports product: maybe you'll pull a game used/auto of a star player but more than likely you'll pull a utility player. And in some instances, you'll pull a guy who bounces between the majors and triple A. It's all fair (in their minds) when you buy a box because it's just a roll of the dice...

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Sorry man, but I'm laughing along with Wolfie. I know how upset I get when I pull a less then desirable sketch from a box I paid a fair amount of money for, so I sympathize whole heartedly with you. I won't mention any recent set's names here, but after seeing what's being offered on E-bay from them I am SO glad I didn't buy any of the boxes. I just watch the auctions closely, and if I see a sketch I like I pounce on it. To me, that's the best way to get a sketch to one's liking.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wow! That belongs in TWS' book of shame. I paid $75 once for a marvel box that was equally as bad. I erased the sketch and let my 8 year old niece draw a frog for me on the card...I still have it. Sorry, Batman.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

The Waterhouse sketches were awful, but those boxes went for $35 - $40. To pull that piece of garbage from a $100 box is a disgrace. Twak

That's true, but Galactic Files also has another hit and other stuff. With my two boxes of Indy Heritage (which price combined was comparable to one box of GF), the Waterhouse was my only sketch or autograph. Anomaly, yes.

And I'm not justifying this sketch either. It's a shame. Collector standards have come a long way in the last handful of years. True quick "sketches" aren't what anyone wants now and they hurt products that have them.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
Certainly not a good pull, but probably consistent with what Topps paid to acquire it; 1.50$. Those amounts don't inspire a load of creativity...that's the bad side of the market.

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
Not a Star Wars guy.
What character is that total lack of effort supposed to represent?

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
quote:
What character is that total lack of effort supposed to represent?

This is Hammerhead from the cantina in A New Hope

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Nerd.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
No product charging $100 should contain something like that - the artist should be ashamed that they have produced such dross. BUT Topps will say that is 1 sketch per box. Funny how you NEVER see these in the adverts for cards - just the nice ones.
The funny thing is we see lots of nice sketches where the artist hasn't signed the card - yet this one has no shame and you can see the name as clear as anything - probably takes longer to sign the name than it does to produce the sketch Big Grin

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't suppose that Topps is even worried about the possibility that a newcomer to the hobby has found a similar card in their box and will now not buy another box of cards from them.

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have a number of Shum from LOTR of similar quality, Topps will keep letting these into their product as they don't give a XXXX as long as people keep buying the product.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I think I have a Lady Death 'doodle' somewhere that's actually worse then your sketch. The dealer did NOT want to sell it to me, even for $5, it is so bad. But I talked him into it.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgf351
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's sad. So that means that anybody could be a sketch card artist for Topps. With Christmas coming up, I could use a part time job.

Check out my blog at Card Crazy!

Posts: 111 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cmcdjj37
posted Hide Post
It's sketches like this that make me glad I'm not a sketch card guy.

I'm thinking of having my daughter's 1st grade class do some drawings that I can send into Topps for their next sketch cards.

Posts: 209 | Location: Castle Rock, Colorado | Registered: July 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post