Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Worst Sketch Ever
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Worst Sketch Ever
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monstoys:
Debi,
Thanks for that sweet comment...I think, like most artists, insecurity. But, insecurity can also help ones creative output. So, it's all a blessing. Thanks again, yrs, me aka Rob

You're welcome, Rob. Smile

Speaking of beautiful work, any updates on when your set will be released?

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Morning Debi,
Updates on my set?
The blanks are being sent to artists next week. Autograph cards have all been signed by celebrities. I've also secured a prop from 1923's HUNCHBACK of NOTRE DAME, trying to work on the prop card idea. Also, I'm in the process of creating 15 new images exclusive for the set. I know the release date will be late spring OR comic con 2013.
Lucky to have some great sketch cards artists on the project, Randy Martinez, Don Pedicini, Brian Miller, Nick Neocleous, Rich Molinelli, Bryan Tillman, Brian Kong, Carolyn Edwards and more.
I think that's about all the new info I have.
Thanks for asking Debi!
blessings, yrs, Rob

Posts: 46 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update, Rob! Wave

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DeathStorm:
quote:
Originally posted by mintoncard:
If Rittenhouse can guarantee a color sketch in every box, there is no reason why Topps can't. And to this day, I have yet to pull a "bad" sketch from a Rittenhouse box.

Wave

you know i actually like this card, so i guess to each their own! Except for the OP haha, i would not have been happy with that one

Posts: 88 | Location: Australia | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andy28:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mintoncard:
If Rittenhouse can guarantee a color sketch in every box, there is no reason why Topps can't. And to this day, I have yet to pull a "bad" sketch from a Rittenhouse box.

Wave

you know i actually like this card, so i guess to each their own! Except for the OP haha, i would not have been happy with that one

I like the colour on this.even if its a 'basic' drawing?the shades are nice and it works!

Posts: 174 | Location: Liverpool | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
I see a big difference between this card and the Shum in the first post.

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goldenavenger:
I see a big difference between this card and the Shum in the first post.

One involved a large amount of narcotics?

My point wasn't that it's the worst sketch ever (I have a terrible Indiana Jones for that) but that it disproves that Rittenhouse never let junk sketches get in.

Posts: 121 | Location: London | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
My point wasn't that it's the worst sketch ever (I have a terrible Indiana Jones for that) but that it disproves that Rittenhouse never let junk sketches get in.

Obviously everyone has a different idea of sketch quality, but I wouldn't call that RA sketch junk. If I pulled it from a pack I would be satisfied, assuming that it was not some $200 pack. It wouldn't be the highlight of my collection by any means, just an average sketch.

Collectors have to be realistic about what's coming out of any manufacturer's boxes. The same way you are not likely to pull a Brosnan or Craig autograph out of a Bond product, you are also not likely to pull (insert the name of any major artist here) out of a sketch product. Nor are you guaranteed to pull a sketch you even like done by anybody. Wink

What a collector has a right to expect is a professionally drawn sketch. There is a minimum standard that should always be in place and if it isn't I hold the manufacturer responsible. They have to use professional artists that will make an effort that looks like it was done by someone who draws for a living, or part of a living. When its something a child could draw, or I could draw, it does not belong in a pack costing any amount of money.

And if it's in one of these super premium products that are going for over 3 figures per boxes than that sketch had better not come anywhere near a amateur level. Not after the ads are displaying nothing but masterpieces and collectors are told they should expect more.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sketch cards should go back to 1 per case, and artists should be paid $10-15 a piece to produce them. Quality control problem solved.

Evan
Studio-Hades
http://www.studio-hades.com

Posts: 559 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Obviously everyone has a different idea of sketch quality, but I wouldn't call that RA sketch junk. If I pulled it from a pack I would be satisfied, assuming that it was not some $200 pack. It wouldn't be the highlight of my collection by any means, just an average sketch.

I see no redeeming qualities of that sketch, it's an appalling quick sketch with colours piled on simply for it to qualify as a coloured sketch. It's made worse when you consider how good the artists work was in earlier sets and Rittenhouse should have never put it in a box.

Art is subjective but I think you're doing a disservice to average sketches by trying to pass it off as one.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Collectors have to be realistic about what's coming out of any manufacturer's boxes. The same way you are not likely to pull a Brosnan or Craig autograph out of a Bond product, you are also not likely to pull (insert the name of any major artist here) out of a sketch product. Nor are you guaranteed to pull a sketch you even like done by anybody. Wink

That particular release had a number of problems so I wouldn't be surprised if it made it in because they didn't have many other options but it's not unrealistic to expect certain standards especially from expensive products, isn't that why they say 1 coloured sketch per box?

Please don't suggest I'm being unrealistic or that I'm somehow expecting to pull an Acar or Perna in every pack, you can't polish a turd sorry.

Posts: 121 | Location: London | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Studio-Hades:
Sketch cards should go back to 1 per case, and artists should be paid $10-15 a piece to produce them. Quality control problem solved.

Two issues:

Companies wouldn't be able to dump 5-10 thousand boxes at $50-70 a pop on the market for each release. In the long term it might help them but sadly most companies only look at the short term and this would mean they'd have to work a lot harder to make less money.

A ton of artists would not be getting any work as there'd only be 500-1000 sketches made for the entire set.

Picture of cmcdjj37
posted Hide Post
At the end of the day it comes down to whether or not people are going to spend their money on a box. We can complain about the quality of sketches or autographs all we want but unless you refuse to purchase the product the company isn't very likely to pay attention. Topps knows how popular Star Wars is and no matter how low the quality of the sketch cards they're not going to have any problems selling.

Posts: 209 | Location: Castle Rock, Colorado | Registered: July 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DeathStorm i'll take it off your hands if you like Big Grin

Posts: 88 | Location: Australia | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I actually liked the Waterhouse monkey sketches. They at least looked like monkeys. There were a lot worse sketches in that set.

Posts: 559 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I actually liked the Waterhouse monkey sketches. They at least looked like monkeys. There were a lot worse sketches in that set.

"... a lot worse sketches"? I just showed my 13 year old son a Waterhouse-monkey sketch (covering up the top Indiana Jones logo) from ebay and asked him to tell me what the sketch is. His reply was alien, vampire (I think because of the fangs) and I don't know. I didn't collect sketch cards from that series but I'd probably be amazed to see sketches worse than those monkeys.

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

To be fair to the artist, Ford is a hard likeness to get.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

To be fair to the artist, Ford is a hard likeness to get.

See, now that is junk. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys are a tough crowd, funny but tough. hey look on the bright side That Shum card is wide open for a Tattoo style coverup.

Posts: 185 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
i'm putting some of my Indy artist returns up this week on ebay for a modest reserve of $295.00

below is the scarce nude variant indy:

Thanks for the support guys!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
Was that really pulled from a pack? Eek