Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Machete Premium Trading Cards
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Machete Premium Trading Cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Right, they're firmly in the "throwback" style of 1970's and early 80's Donruss (and Fleer) non-sports cards like Bionic Man, Dallas, MASH, and Dukes of Hazzard.

I think Topps had a lot more money to put into their non-sports cards back then, probably due to their stranglehold on the sports card market at the time, so their sets always looked better, design-wise, than the efforts from Donruss and Fleer, even with the greyback cardstock Topps would normally use which wasn't as good as what Fleer and Donruss used. Those companies would also have to make due with what licenses it could get, since Topps had first shot at pretty much everything, so it made for some unusual sets. Donruss and Fleer also weren't allowed to put gum in the packs, as that was (insanely) found by the courts to be a Topps trademark, so usually you'd get more cards per pack to make up for it.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
The quality of those sample base cards, and even the autograph cards themselves, look like they could have been done on a home computer. Granted Machete is supposed to be cheesey, so the cards go along with theme, but if they want $125 just for the base set they should put out a better looking product than that.

The feel of the set is perfect for the feel of the movie. If I remember correctly, didn't Sidekick print these? They do an awesome job recapturing the classic look and feel of older cards.

Yes, I get why the cards look this way, but while they were recapturing the classic look they are not bothering to recapture the classic price, are they? Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Heh, well, I remember buying packs of the "Dark Crystal" from Donruss back around 1982. The collation on that was so horrible and yet, I kept buying pack after pack and I'd get happy if there was even one card I needed in the pack. I don't think I ever finished the set back then, but it might've taken $125 to do it, at the rate I was going. (I finally broke down and bought a set for around $10 in the 1990s).

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I made these after seeing the promo card they put out. i might not get many back, but even if I get one back I will have saved 125 bucks.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Nice cards!

A Shot of Alba in the shower from the first movie would make a great card.
She actually wasn't nude for that scene. Rather, her bikini was digitally erased. Apparently, digital magic was used to provide Lohan's nude scene, as well.

Robert Rodriguez probably would've only had to ask Lindsay to appear that way for real, but I think he likes to show what he can do with digital trickery. He has mastered it.

Ah, the modern age!

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like the new movie totally bombed this weekend, making a mere 3.7 million, about 1/3 of the opening weekend figure for the original film in 2010.

Posts: 3993 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Looks like the new movie totally bombed this weekend, making a mere 3.7 million, about 1/3 of the opening weekend figure for the original film in 2010.

I think the general public still doesn't "get" these films. No amount of star power seems to help. Grindhouse (Planet Terror & Death Proof) should have been a hit, but it wasn't. I had the most fun ever at a film when I went to see them. Planet Terror was a roller coaster of entertainment, and Death Proof was (I think) purposely awful for the first half - everybody (all 10 of us Frown)in the theater was heckling and yelling things at the screen, I'd pay just to do that again, it was a blast! Big Grin

I was honestly shocked when Machete got the green light considering how poorly Grindhouse underperformed.

I guess we're just destined to be force-fed bad remakes for the rest of eternity.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Death Proof was (I think) purposely awful for the first half

I have read interviews with Tarantino where he bashes the film as 'the worst movie I have ever made', so I am not sure it was awful on purpose. I think the problem is that three of the leads (Zoe Bell, Tracie Thoms and Sydney Poitier) are terrible actresses and couldn't deliver that Tarantino dialogue without sounding ridiculous.

Back on topic, though -- I would like to pick this set up if it ever drops to a reasonable price. I want the Lohan autograph.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think Tarantino is overrated, you either like his style or you don't. He does have his moments though.

On the other hand Rodriquez, is cut rate Tarantino. Its like the chicken or the egg. What's the difference if its a bad movie or a campy, bad movie that's supposed to be bad? Its all garbage.

And getting back on topic, as I said before, there are people who would want that Lohan autograph. Its a $125 Machete set or a $250 Machete set with the autograph that is going too far.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:

I think the general public still doesn't "get" these films. No amount of star power seems to help. Grindhouse (Planet Terror & Death Proof) should have been a hit, but it wasn't. I had the most fun ever at a film when I went to see them. Planet Terror was a roller coaster of entertainment, and Death Proof was (I think) purposely awful for the first half - everybody (all 10 of us Frown)in the theater was heckling and yelling things at the screen, I'd pay just to do that again, it was a blast! Big Grin

I was honestly shocked when Machete got the green light considering how poorly Grindhouse underperformed.

I guess we're just destined to be force-fed bad remakes for the rest of eternity.

Robert Rodriguez has always been able to make these films on the cheap, and I think that's how he keeps getting them made. Planet Terror is terrific. So was Dusk Til Dawn, the El Mariachi Trilogy and Sin City.
Also, the stars that Rodriguez gets to appear in them know the movies going to come out well, so I think they're willing to work for less to add some nice "indie cred" to their filmography.
Once the DVD rentals and sales are in, I'm pretty sure this movie, too, will turn a profit.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I love all of Robert Rodriguezs' films but I usually wait to get them on DVD as he always includes lots of fun extras (who else includes 10 minute cooking lessons?). The one exception was Grindhouse which I saw in the theater. I loved Planet Terror and the trailers for the "fake" movies.

It's too bad they couldn't get any of the other actors to sign cards for the Machette set. That's not meant as a complaint against Lohan, I'm just saying that if you include everyone who made a cameo it's a pretty big cast.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Five little words for you ....MACHETE KILLS AGAIN IN SPACE!!!

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A base set sold for $91. There was one of the Lindsay Lohan autographs that was at $165 when I last saw it, but it seems to have since disappeared.

I still don't see just the base sets on the Geek Room website, but they've got the base + Lohan sets for $250, and just the Lohan for $150. If they're selling the Lohan by itself, that would account for the additional 100 sets that do not include an autograph. But it seems odd they're not listed.

Looks like they have some of the P1 variants signed by Robert Rodriguez available.

The entire rollout of this set has been bizarre.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The entire rollout of this set has been bizarre.[/QUOTE]

Just like the film then Big Grin .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
A base set sold for $91. There was one of the Lindsay Lohan autographs that was at $165 when I last saw it, but it seems to have since disappeared.

I still don't see just the base sets on the Geek Room website, but they've got the base + Lohan sets for $250, and just the Lohan for $150. If they're selling the Lohan by itself, that would account for the additional 100 sets that do not include an autograph. But it seems odd they're not listed.

Looks like they have some of the P1 variants signed by Robert Rodriguez available.

The entire rollout of this set has been bizarre.

The Lohan price went up to $175.00. Agreed, this is weird...

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

I just checked the Geek Room site and they have the base sets listed in their store for $125.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If no one buys them the price will drop.

quote:
Originally posted by WandringRebel:
quote:

I just checked the Geek Room site and they have the base sets listed in their store for $125.

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And drop they did. I went ahead and got 3 base sets (seemingly better stock and more glossy coating than the promo I have). They are factory sets, numbered to 300 and have a bonus sticker of Michelle Rodriguez as "She".

I got 3 sets plus two Lohan "Nun" autographs for $117, delivered, so not too shabby, especially compared to the original price. I don't know if they're sending them out in order, but I have sets 193-195, so if they are, that means they have about 100 left, since I just got mine today.

The original "Machete" was a lot of fun. Even though "Kills" didn't do well, I'm still hoping for "In Space".

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In terms of promos, are there just P1 to P4 and the P1 to P3 variants ?

I don't count the 5 autos as promos

BTW, how hard are these autos to find now (Don Johnson, Rodriguez, etc) ?

Posts: 3993 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
And drop they did. I went ahead and got 3 base sets (seemingly better stock and more glossy coating than the promo I have). They are factory sets, numbered to 300 and have a bonus sticker of Michelle Rodriguez as "She".

I got 3 sets plus two Lohan "Nun" autographs for $117, delivered, so not too shabby, especially compared to the original price. I don't know if they're sending them out in order, but I have sets 193-195, so if they are, that means they have about 100 left, since I just got mine today.

The original "Machete" was a lot of fun. Even though "Kills" didn't do well, I'm still hoping for "In Space".

If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase these from? Seems like a pretty good deal. Thanks!

Posts: 249 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post