Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Quotable Star Trek Voyager
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quotable Star Trek Voyager
 Login/Join

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
(I say this as a person and not a moderator), Although I repsect anyone's opinion in regards to what they want to spend the money on, I find it a shame that you're hoping and cheering for failure. There are more consctructive means to express a wish for changes.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It might be hard to believe but I wanted Voyager to succeed, but this is the fifth Trek release in a row that is uninspired. Rittenhouse obviously has found a routine for inserts and they're sticking to it. It's just so cookie-cutter boring.

What constructive means do you suggest? I've given ideas civilly but of course Rittenhouse will not listen because Trek still sells out on their website. Its latest Trek offerings just seem to languish in the low end price tier and I often wonder how sellers/dealers break even. Rittenhouse already has their money so why would they care?Why should they care? They are a business after all.

So the only way to get your point across is to either boycott their products or simply not buy them. Eventually they'll get the message.

Also how am I "cheering for failure?" I'm not going to support a release that I'm disappointed and have no faith in. I'm finally vocalising my dissatisfaction with how Rittenhouse has produced their latest Trek sets.

STGeek I feel I'm just being realistic. I know people on here have a loyalty, a sometimes blinding loyalty to card manufacturers and hate to see negative comments expressed, especially when they release their favourite TV show or movie.

I find it a shame that people are willing to support a release with so many repeat signers. To me that just condones and even celebrates laziness.

Posts: 39 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt_Blue:

Also how am I "cheering for failure?"

quote:
I look forward to seeing how bad it sells on the secondary market

And I do think not supporting a product you don't like is one *civil* way to express discontent...I also believe in direct comunication with the company in private venues. I don't support (again me, not as a mod) wishing something to fail....
You may feel it's fail to include stuff that's been in the other trek products..pins, SFF and such..I don't. I like my sets to match..If they've done a certain fancy subset for TOS and TNG, I like seeing it in VOY. It makes it feel complete...

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Having said that, I cheer on innovation and new stuff and would happily support those products as well Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
And I do think not supporting a product you don't like is one *civil* way to express discontent...I also believe in direct comunication with the company in private venues. I don't support (again me, not as a mod) wishing something to fail....
You may feel it's fail to include stuff that's been in the other trek products..pins, SFF and such..I don't. I like my sets to match..If they've done a certain fancy subset for TOS and TNG, I like seeing it in VOY. It makes it feel complete...

With the direct communication comment, I'm not naive enough to actually believe If I did communicate my views to them they would listen. Besides they should spend a little time trawling forums to gauge some feelings on their products.

Fair point about cheering for failure, I didn't want Voyager to fail but seeing the list that's pretty much where it's headed. I posted that comment because I want somebody at Rittenhouse to actually realise their Trek line is stale and repetitive. I feel a dealer losing money and not ordering as large quantities is the only way. I feel bad for saying that but how else will they listen?

No I don't think it's a fail for Pins and SFF, but the pins are divisive and when they are your only major selling point apart from autos it can pose problems. It limits potential customers therefore profit.

I can't believe I'm the only one who has serious issues with this release as I've seen many people on forums criticising Trek's abundance of repeat signers and insignificant guest signers in the past. Not to mention most of the signers requested last year are nowhere to be found.

I want innovation too STgeek.

Posts: 39 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ajdedo
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm disappointed as yet again Rittenhouse wants maximum profit for as little effort and money spent as possible. They expect they can churn out any old Star Trek product and the fans will buy it. Well I'm sick of it. They need to pull their finger out and start releasing Star Trek boxes with more than one gimmick or incentive at a time instead of trying to string out the gravy train.

Complete TNG was a joke. A couple of communicator pin cards and Grammer, Judd autos. Was that actually supposed to impress people? It was a really lackluster and lazy effort.

This Voyager release is no better either. I'm more angry than disappointed at this Voyager release as it's my favourite Trek series and I hoped they would have taken more time and effort to release a set worth buying. For me it's the fourth Trek release in a row that is just lame. No interesting or great standouts just the same old. Same actors signing, same chase inserts, same box set-up, same love for the dealers and apathy for the regular consumer.

I really wanted some costume cards. I would have purchased cases if they had given us a set like the latter Trek quotables. I don't buy boxes/cases for autos, in fact many end up in the bin with the base cards. It just annoys me that they could have catered to the collectors that collect costume cards instead of driving away another potential avenue of revenue. It is especially frustrating as at the beginning of the year Rittenhouse had the opportunity to purchase a whole cluster of Voyager costumes.

Rittenhouse could have done so much for this release; sketches, costume cards, Shadowbox cards, more than one signed costume card. Instead they deliver a bunch of repeat signers, no name signers that no one really cares about and the second release in a year with Susan Diol signing.

I really hope this release info is wrong or very preliminary, but somehow I don't think it is.

Rittenhouse it seems is just on auto-pilot whilst the industry slowly shrinks and the company ends up like Inkworks.

I actually agree with you. I think it's the same thing over and over again. The inserts are lame. Starfleet's Finest, Holodeck, Communicator Pin, lame. Nothing original or new.

Of course, the whole set is unoriginal since it is yet another "quotable" set. That style was fun once, but not over and over again, ESPECIALLY since, in my opinion, the style of the quotable autograph cards simply suck.

It's a shame, I think the Star Trek licence should be given to another company. I see some AMAZING looking cards being produced by other companies. All Steve needs to do is to go into a card store and look around for some new ides, and for the love of cards, give up on the same old things we've seen for a decade.

P.S. I also agree CTNG sucked. Another waste of a good series.

BTW, The signers are okay with me, it's the cards I have an issue with.

Posts: 146 | Location: Sunshine Coast, BC | Registered: April 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cobalt_Blue:

Complete TNG was a joke. A couple of communicator pin cards and Grammer, Judd autos. Was that actually supposed to impress people? It was a really lackluster and lazy effort./QUOTE]

I think you have to make a distinction between a rabid Star Trek card collector and just plain non-sport card collectors.

Rabid Star Trek card collectors want autographs of everyone who ever appeared in any scene, from anything associated with any form of Star Trek. The guy could be leaning against a wall or walking down a corridor, doesn't matter, it's all part of the complete universe to them. And there is nothing wrong with that if that's what they like.

As a non-Star Trek fan, but an autograph card collector, I happen to agree with your assessment of TNG. I bought several boxes only because my hobby store couldn't move them and they were really cheap. Since I didn't pull either the Judd or the Grammer, turns out they cost more than what I got anyway. I even pulled doubles of people I never heard of. Big Grin

But I would disagree with you about this new release because the autograph list looks a lot more promising to me. There are at least 10 signatures, not all stars, that I would like to find and I don't care if they have signed before since I am buying for the individual, not the title.

Bottom line is that RA is selling to its base and as long as the boxes sell out its a success. You could say the same thing about any card manufacturer and it just means they are smart. So if you feel that something is a lazy effort, don't buy it and wait for the next one, maybe it will be better for you.

If collectors get locked into titles and feel compelled to buy things that they don't like, that's not the manufacturer's fault.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

But I would disagree with you about this new release because the autograph list looks a lot more promising to me. There are at least 10 signatures, not all stars, that I would like to find and I don't care if they have signed before since I am buying for the individual, not the title.

This is my feeling too, i really like the auto lineup. Also, I like the quotable concept.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
http://www.scifihobby.com/prod...erquotable/index.cfm

First details are up.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ajdedo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AJJ:
http://www.scifihobby.com/prod...erquotable/index.cfm

First details are up.

Second details are coming soon.

http://www.scifihobby.com/prod...cklist.cfm?SetID=264

Posts: 146 | Location: Sunshine Coast, BC | Registered: April 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
More costume cards, and how about some prop cards? You never see those, occasionally a case incentive that's it. Piece of panel, communicator, part a phaser, something like that. lot of flat options to choose from. Also, star trek non static sketches would kill. Something to strive for..

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
The only thing I don't like are the communicator Pins as they are (like some of the patches) just a manufactured card that resembles something that was in the show - like the look of everything else.

Rittenhouse have already stated on the update page for the set that the rewards card will be a Kes Communicator Pin.

Quotable Voyager Details

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ajdedo
posted Hide Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
These cards are stating to appear on pre-sale on that.

One seller appears to be stating how limited the autographs are eg EL, VL but this information is not on the Rittenhouse site yet?

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by treksearcher:
These cards are stating to appear on pre-sale on that.

One seller appears to be stating how limited the autographs are eg EL, VL but this information is not on the Rittenhouse site yet?

I'm inclined to believe the seller. I'm not sure about his history but it stands to reason that with so many obvious common autos the main cast would be EL. Which is sad as for people who don't/can't buy cases they don't have much of a shot getting anything decent. I expected Ryan, Mulgrew and Picardo to be EL but the other main cast is a little ridiculous. I guess that would mean you would only be getting two or three main cast on average per case.It seems Rittenhouse is only courting case buyers and businesses, which is a shame but they are a business so it is to be expected, particularly when some of their releases have really struggled recently.

Treksearcher I'm not sure why you're surprised about reading rarity info elsewhere but it's a common practice, GoT and TB rarities where posted elsewhere first too.

BTW that seller also wants nearly 2 grand for a master set yet he presells over 3/4 of inserts under $40. I don't envy sellers making a profit on this one judging by his presells.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My only point really was, If a seller has the information why can't Rittenhouse be bothered to list it on their site?

posted Hide Post
I'm not entirely sure but I guess the response from Rittenhouse would be they have been too busy with so many forthcoming releases to update their site. Remember Quotable Voyager info was available in March yet not officially posted until June. They haven't posted previews of McNeil auto or case incentives either so they could be waiting for those as well. NCIS rarities were posted a week before its release if that helps.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by treksearcher:
My only point really was, If a seller has the information why can't Rittenhouse be bothered to list it on their site?

The Seller might be guessing!!!!!

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I asked RA a few months ago for the checklist (didn't have rarities) and they were kind enough to let me have it and post it even though it wasn't availble on their site. In that case, it's not that they can't be bothered, I considered it niceness on their part as it let me have a nice little tease to give my clients. I'm grateful for that.
As to rarities, they wither asked or guessed, though I hope not guessing as if someone buys off that info it'd be misleading.

posted Hide Post
Hammer the seller may be guessing but for the most part they are realistic educated guesses if true. Though this isn't the first time a seller has listed rarities availble on their site before Rittenhouse that has turned out to be correct. Even if he guessed apart from the master/mini sets his prices are pretty reasonable so he isn't ripping off naive buyers. Getting most of the main cast for under $50 is good going.