Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Quotable Star Trek Voyager
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quotable Star Trek Voyager
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Awesome! Really looking forward to this set. The Delta flyer relic sounds cool.

Posts: 153 | Location: Washington | Registered: September 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post

6-case incentive Kate Mulgrew Autograph/Costume Card.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^I guess that card was supposed to be the one that Seven's replaced in the 40th anniversary.

So more or less that Ebay dude was right. I'd be interested to see if people's enthusiasm for the set still remains as high with 14 EL, and what looks like going to take many more cases to build a master set.

Posts: 39 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
Some interesting comments being made on this thread. I also see many of the same old issues rearing their ugly head. I haven’t bought a Star Trek set in ages and was very close to pulling the trigger on this one as I believe the autograph line-up is outstanding. The only reason I’m passing on this set is because there are several fresh items due out shortly, which I’m more interested in. I can’t really fault RA for producing another Trek set, they obviously have a market for them and until producing them doesn’t yield them a worthwhile return they will continue to churn them out.

In the past I’ve tried to tell people that this is a business, but that hurt a number of people’s feeling. While the manufacturers may have a genuine love for the products they release, in the end it’s all about putting food on their table, paying their mortgage, and all the other associated bills that occur in one’s everyday life.

As for the issue of change, well I seem to recall people screaming about Inkworks 3/6/9 formula. Yes, we all love new and shiny and we certainly love innovation, however once you have an established license people tend to want continuity in the products. I know I wasn’t thrilled when RA went to mixing autograph styles on their Bond cards. I always felt it was a gimmick to boost sales, but I know some people are crazy about the full bleeds.

I see this thread has several comments about the food chain. Nothing new here. Manufacturers make the sets, dealers buy in bulk, and the collector buys what he or she desires in an amount they can afford. It’s never easy for the manufacturers to find the right mix. Never has been, never will. It seems that one party or the other feels they are getting shafted. The Walking Dead release is a prime example.

Would I like to see a license go out with a bang? I sure would and I’m sure everyone else would love to see the manufacturer of their favorite license say this is the very last set we will ever make for this title and as such we are pulling out all the stops and giving you, the loyal collector all the bells and whistles you’ve earned through your years of supporting this title, but folks it ain’t gonna happen.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arvin Sloane:
Would I like to see a license go out with a bang? I sure would and I’m sure everyone else would love to see the manufacturer of their favorite license say this is the very last set we will ever make for this title and as such we are pulling out all the stops and giving you, the loyal collector all the bells and whistles you’ve earned through your years of supporting this title, but folks it ain’t gonna happen.

I think all of your comments are on the mark with the possible exception of the last one. If a manufacturer knew that it could produce no more of a given title because the license expired or because it just was no longer profitable enough, why couldn't it blow out everything in one last release? What would be the point of holding back?

If its because there was a chance that maybe they could squeeze out one or two more releases, well that's a different story. But if it's the absolute end or if it's a one shot deal for whatever reason, why not pack it all in and go out with a bang? They could always charge more for a loaded product and secondary market prices would probably rise fast anyway once packs were opened and collectors realized its value.

I don't know why you feel it will never happen. It wouldn't be just a pay back to loyal customers. The manufacturer would make as much money, maybe even more money, than previous sets.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

I think all of your comments are on the mark with the possible exception of the last one. If a manufacturer knew that it could produce no more of a given title because the license expired or because it just was no longer profitable enough, why couldn't it blow out everything in one last release? What would be the point of holding back?

If its because there was a chance that maybe they could squeeze out one or two more releases, well that's a different story. But if it's the absolute end or if it's a one shot deal for whatever reason, why not pack it all in and go out with a bang? They could always charge more for a loaded product and secondary market prices would probably rise fast anyway once packs were opened and collectors realized its value.

I don't know why you feel it will never happen. It wouldn't be just a pay back to loyal customers. The manufacturer would make as much money, maybe even more money, than previous sets.

Definitely a valid question.

I would guess by opinion is based on the way I've witnessed card manufacturers go out of business. Here today and then puff, into a cloud of smoke never to be heard from again. I would love to see somebody make a grand exit with a license, but I just feel that it's like you said, "We can always squeeze another set out." I'm not sure any manufacturer produces a set with the thought in their mind, "This product will BOMB." If they did why would they bother?
Would fans go nuts for a Star Trek Ultimate? I'm sure they would and I'm sure RA could make a killing as they could boost box prices, especially if they knew this was their last set and the fans knew it as well, but somehow I can't see anyone killing off a license that they can milk even though the product only sells because of the title and there is a loyal cadre of hardcore buyers.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:

Actually, I think Rittenhouse ended the Stargate Atlantis/SG1 with this sort of approach. The Stargate Heroes boxes were packed with main cast autos, filled in some gaps and pretty much broke like a spring cleaning of everything relevant they had lying around.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some interesting comments being made on this thread. I also see many of the same old issues rearing their ugly head. I haven’t bought a Star Trek set in ages and was very close to pulling the trigger on this one as I believe the autograph line-up is outstanding. The only reason I’m passing on this set is because there are several fresh items due out shortly, which I’m more interested in. I can’t really fault RA for producing another Trek set, they obviously have a market for them and until producing them doesn’t yield them a worthwhile return they will continue to churn them out.

I certainly don't fault RA producing another Trek set and of course if they're still putting food on the table for them of course you milk it as much as possible. Though eventually RA is going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg prematurely if they keep producing lacklustre sets and rehashing the same signers. Seriously getting Spiner's hand double to sign cards; WTF?Eventually people will just give up on them which is a shame as ST still has scope and potential. Though I'm not waiting ten years before RA starts compiling a decent release having previously strung out sets with one gimmick at a time. RA is a business and as a business you do need to listen to consumers to an extent and create a balance but RA seems oblivious to consumer feedback and are quite content to keep plodding along with their head in the sand. If it aint broke don't fix it, but something is wrong. Most of the current releases fail to sellout well, releases don't hold their value or generate much value and despite some people pretending everything is good, people are starting to voice their boredom of RA.

I don't mind continuity, but with RA it seems arbitrary and very slap dash. Voyager auto design keeps changing, they don't differentiate enough between the distinct branding releases inserts, and with Quotable Voyager they have no costume cards, comic book cards or TV guide covers which helped create the Quotable branding and set continuity. Where RA does not falter are the lame chase insert formula. I do like continuity, but this sort of continuity for every release creates boredom. I don't mind the gimmick Quotable autos, but when it's really the only draw it falls flat for me.

I'd just like RA to produce a decent set worth buying, but with rehashed signers which I already have and no costume cards on the horizon it seems ST is going into a death spiral. I don't expect RA to put out all the stops to create a ST release so I hope they don't expect customers to stay loyal to the brand because it is ST. Though I do know they will never stop ST releases until they go bust.

Raven RA doesn't care about loyal customers and they would never make more money on a final release rather than stringing out the license.

Tangent if they did then they obviously realised it was a mistake as they are producing another set.

Posts: 39 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post

Here is the first box hot off the line of The "Quotable" Star Trek Voyager Trading Cards! Only 13 days until its release!

Posted by RA on facebook.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt_Blue:
RA is a business and as a business you do need to listen to consumers to an extent and create a balance but RA seems oblivious to consumer feedback and are quite content to keep plodding along with their head in the sand. If it aint broke don't fix it, but something is wrong. Most of the current releases fail to sellout well, releases don't hold their value or generate much value and despite some people pretending everything is good, people are starting to voice their boredom of RA.

I do like continuity, but this sort of continuity for every release creates boredom. I don't mind the gimmick Quotable autos, but when it's really the only draw it falls flat for me.

I'd just like RA to produce a decent set worth buying, but with rehashed signers which I already have and no costume cards on the horizon it seems ST is going into a death spiral. I don't expect RA to put out all the stops to create a ST release so I hope they don't expect customers to stay loyal to the brand because it is ST. Though I do know they will never stop ST releases until they go bust.

Raven RA doesn't care about loyal customers and they would never make more money on a final release rather than stringing out the license.

As you referenced me, I will attempt to give you my take on it. Let me say at the outset that I don't buy for the ST brand as I was never that into the many ST versions. I do however often buy ST autograph cards for the many good actors and actresses that passed through and will usually pick up at least a box per release just for fun.

As to your comment to me I would say that RA certainly does care about loyal customers. To think otherwise would mean that management has no business sense because it is not closing up shop and it is acquiring new licenses like GOT for example. Arvin and I were going back and forth about loading a product when it is in its last release. I was talking about an expiring license, he amended his comments to a company going out of business. Neither one of us was saying that this Quotable Star Trek Voyager was going to be a final ST release. It won't be as long as the license is active and it shouldn't be as long as collectors want more.

Now as a non-ST fan in general, I happen to agree with you on the repetative nature of these products and lament many of the autograph signers as fairly unknown actors who had very minor roles. So the answer to that is for me to buy only what I like. I don't condemn the ST products, lots of collectors are happy to keep them as they are. You may call it stringing it out if you like, but bottom line is that they are still selling.

You are entitled to your opinion and to make valid points, which you have. However, if you go over the top and appear to trash any manufacturer in broad terms, your message will be lost. I don't like EVERY card product that ANYONE makes and I'm certainly not above complaining about it, but in the end the power is always with the consumer to buy or not to buy.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looking at the list of autographs and the number of Extremely Limited ones in the set, it is going to be very difficult to complete this set. 14 Ex Ltd if you only get a 2-3 in a case Eek

I'm breaking a couple of cases but will be no where near a set of the autographs.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
I certainly think if you've never collected any Voyager sets in the past, this is a good one to start with. With all the main cast signing it would be a great collection.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Can't wait for this set!!!

Posts: 153 | Location: Washington | Registered: September 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ships this week, I hope they don't take too long to make it to the U.K.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Kes Rewards Pin is available on the Rittenhouse site (4500 points), just ordered mine.

Kes Pin

posted Hide Post
received our Star Trek Cases today!!

Posts: 61 | Location: Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom | Registered: June 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
Seen the cards up on the bay now. I really love the look of the main cast autos. I think I'm going to pick up the main autos from this set.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:
Seen the cards up on the bay now. I really love the look of the main cast autos. I think I'm going to pick up the main autos from this set.

It looks a good time to buy them at the moment as considering they are Extremely Limited (less than 200 made) the prices are very reasonable.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
Picked up 5 of the main 10 I'm after so far Smile Now is definitely the time to buy when they're available in larger numbers.