Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Wars Authentics 5 Card Set - Limited to 50 Sets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Authentics 5 Card Set - Limited to 50 Sets
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted
I am not seeing this here but Star Wars Authentics has issued a Limited 5 Card Star Wars Set with purchase of a Autographed photo.

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Better Images

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I saw the offer on Facebook this last weekend, so I ponied up for a $49.99 8x10 auto of BB-8. I don't collect autographed photos, though, so the plan is sell that as soon as I can in hopes of getting maybe $25 for it, that way, I'll have landed the promos, which I really like for only $25 or so (hopefully)..

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hippiejewel
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing.

Jewel Big Grin

Posts: 2035 | Location: Western Burbs of Chicago | Registered: April 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like these quickly sold out and are long gone

Posts: 4009 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well there were only 50 sets offered, so its kind of like those Adam Driver signed Funko Pop limited to 23 and 25 figures. If there is any interest at all, they almost have to sell out.

Yet I can't help buy feel that manufacturers are missing the boat a lot of times when they are so hell bent on creating artificial scarcity. If the demand is there, isn't it better to make the item a little cheaper and sell 10 times more of it?

This way you have a winning product, but few collectors will have it and the maker isn't getting much by way of profit because production was too limited. I really think this is what happened to many of those good, smaller card makers that went out of business or seem to be struggling now. They don't take enough advantage of winners and get killed when something bombs. TOPPS can handle it because of its mass produced retail business, complimented by the hobby-only products, but the little guys cannot. Just MHO.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The set for Empire is available, same deal as with the Star Wars cards, so numbered to 50 and free with a $50 purchase. I bought another BB-8 autograph 8 by 10 photo to get the new set. I bought a different one last time, and ended up selling it for about $20, which appears to be more in line with the actual value of a second tier cast member autograph, hence the need to give a bonus like this to sell them at $50, haha.

So anyway, these sets, purchased like I did for the $58 total (including shipping) minus the $20 you can sell the photo for means the first two sets were available essentially for a little less than $40, about $8 per card. That's obviously a little steep for regular glossy cards, but not much more than other on-demand Topps cards that are offered these days, most of which aren't of Star Wars, and tend to be printed in usually much higher quantities than 50 each.

That said, I think there is tremendous upside for these sets at about $40 in for one. Looking forward to the "Jedi" set to finish the trilogy. I imagine that'll be available sometime before the end of this year.

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The set for Jedi is now available, same deal as with the previous cards, so numbered to 50 and free, but this time with an $80 purchase ($95 with shipping and tax, if you purchase the minimum).

The best item of the minimum purchase required available appears to be an 8x10 of Ray Park as Darth Maul (it's that, or else larger sized BB-8s from the new trilogy, a Boba/Jango double from the Prequel trilogy, or else animated series actors). Moving up to $100, you can get a nice Billy Dee Williams as Lando, and a litte more than that could get you a Tim Curry or Sarah Michelle Gellar.
If you actually want to keep the item you buy, there are plenty of unsigned 8x10 photos for 10 a pop, and it'd probably be pretty easy to find 8 of those, and maybe even get them signed yourself down the line.

I wanted to finish the set, so I just ordered the $80 Maul. I actually sold the BB-8 I bought to get the Empire set for a little more ($25) than I sold the BB-8 I bought to get the Star Wars set ($20), so at least I got some of it back.

So anyway, these sets, purchased like I did for the $210 total all-in (including shipping, and tax, new this time in addition to the higher buy-in) minus the $45 I sold the BB-8's for mean I have a complete set of 15 cards numbered to 50 plus the Maul 8x10 for about $165.

Depending on what the Maul's actual value on the secondary market is, I might sell that, too. Supposing I could get even $35 for it, that would leave me with a full set of the 15 cards for about $130, so a little less than $9 a card.

As I said before, that's pricey for regular glossy cards, and about twice the cost of the current on-demand Star Wars weekly cards on the Topps website. Of course, those aren't numbered to 50, like these are.

I still think these cards, which look terrific in person, are a good value at 130 for the set, which will forever be limited to 50 full sets, but likely fewer in actuality.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,