Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    The Twilight Zone Archives (Rittenhouse)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Twilight Zone Archives (Rittenhouse)
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
The previous three TZ sets had 4 autographs per box, while this set only has 2, and a higher SRP. That's a lot of value missing per box/case. With no sketch cards in this release the only justification for keeping the price the same (or raising it) while cutting the autographs per box/case in half is the addition of the 50 Serling cuts.

Great point. With the last sets coming in 2002, 2005 and 2009, I forgot how many hits were in the boxes. When you have 4 autographs you are receiving back more than half the box value, even if they are all $10 a piece. So that makes for a big difference right there.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
While comic book prices, for instance, have gone up about 25% in the past 10 years, there was a short period from the mid 80's to the early 90's where they doubled in price (basiscally from $1 to $2). In the comic world, what happened during that era was a big expansion of mostly black and white titles from independent publishers that started stong but were kaput in only a couple of years. The correction resulted in the ability for the companies that still made comics to charge significantly more for them. While not completely analogous, something similar now has happened with non-sports card boxes. The prices on them have nearly doubled in a short period of time as a handful of companies are now the only game in town.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Hard to compare current costs in those two markets. I think the average price of new comics depending on title, still run between $2.99 and $4.99, which is a far cry from even average non-sport card boxes. Also the box increases haven't really been in that short a period of time, it's been happening steadily for years.

I think the difference is the reduction of average priced issues. Everything is being billed as premium, limited product, so $95 is now normal and $160 is premium and over $200 is the new $100 barrier. But the cards inside have to be able to warrant these prices when you open the box and that is the thing that logically can't sustain these costs for long. Not unless the demand for the individual cards jump like crazy. An average box is still going to be average and you can't price a sealed box in expectation that the buyer might pull the best scarce hit in the product when that's unlikely to happen.

The Rod Serling Edition boxes are actually moderately priced and there is still a wide value gap if you get an average box with 2 limited (common) autos listing at $7.99. I'd take that $4.99 comic any day, if that's as much as I could lose. Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This isn't going to be the last TZ set. On the Rittenhouse forums Steve said they have another set planned for next year.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
RA must have stockpiled a lot of autographs. Because their current titles are limited, I think the strategy is to lean heavily on dual autographs and inscription cards, not just for The Twilight Zone, but also for the upcoming Twin Peaks. They may also be throwing in more cuts of deceased stars.

I'm really not concerned with diluting market value as I am keeping anything I buy, so that is an argument for someone else. If it means getting the chance to pick up more TZ signed cards at reasonable prices down the line, it's fine by me. Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I ended up selling the inscriptions (except Ron Howard who I needed for my set), the easy dual, and the Archive Box exclusive John Clarke for about $1,500 (closer to $1,400 after fees) which approaches half of what I paid for everything. I still have the dual Mumy/Leachman listed along with one last easy inscription which will eventually sell at which point I'll be about $1,500 in.

Not bad considering I have the Serling cut which seems to be worth close to that PLUS the binder, all of the regular base and chase, and all of the other autographs not listed above.

While my goal is still to have at least one card of every signer, I just couldn't justify holding onto that Clarke, when I could clear $550+ just for that one card, which I did. I'm down to about 5 signers or so, the most valuable of which would be a Cliff Robertson and the Clarke, of course.

Looking forward to the next set. I'm curious to see what new they can come up with for it.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chesspieceface:
While my goal is still to have at least one card of every signer, I just couldn't justify holding onto that Clarke, when I could clear $550+ just for that one card, which I did./QUOTE]

John Clarke just passed away. Sad to say the price probably went up immediately.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just picked up the Morgan Brittany regular A-167 for $17. Checking eBay several cards that I thought would have held mid ground because they are new or were very limited before are quite cheap. The inscriptions are not lighting it up either in general.

I know there will be a TZ Series 2 in 2020, but apart from names like Howard and Shatner that are still going for around $200 and are tough to find at that, there doesn't seem to be a lot of value. I do hope RA goes back to 3 or even 4 autographs for Series 2 because it looks like the end anyway and if nothing else is new, like sketches or some other big names, it going to be hard to scare up any demand.

Not saying the TZ set and signatures don't look as great as ever, but the majority are even below a decent common. Good for collectors who didn't buy sealed product.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I love Twilight Zone but to me the autographs begin and end with the classic design. I have zero interest in the inscriptions. When inscriptions are on the classic design cards and they're truly unique one-of-a-kinds, then they're neat and I put a premium on them. But when they're purposefully made in quantity and on a different card design, they lose all "neatness" to me. Wink

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Collect Auctions has an auction closing tomorrow that has several TZ Master sets; may be a chance to get some missing autos.

(I don't have any financial interest in this, just passing info along)

Posts: 2197 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
I love Twilight Zone but to me the autographs begin and end with the classic design. I have zero interest in the inscriptions. When inscriptions are on the classic design cards and they're truly unique one-of-a-kinds, then they're neat and I put a premium on them. But when they're purposefully made in quantity and on a different card design, they lose all "neatness" to me. Wink

Well these are "scripted" inscriptions and it's become a marketing ploy by RA to try to make a new level of autograph card. Depending on the inscription, it may or may not appeal to people and it will vary as to how much more those people are willing to pay above the plain autograph.

I don't think an episode date or title or character name will move the needle that much. A quoted line of dialogue make look nice. I agree with you that a spontaneous inscription or doodle that is not copied is a much better variant card, but RA is trying to make each scripted inscription it's own card. They even put letters after the card number in the checklist.

I don't mind them so long as the space for the autograph isn't compromised by the other writing, but I wouldn't pay a premium on a common signer either. With TZ most of the inscription cards were done by the better names and would be of a higher value anyway. With RA's Star Trek many of the inscription cards were done by common signers and I don't think it made them any more in demand. Whichever way you may think, RA is going to continue to lean on inscription cards in other product titles.