Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Star Trek Discovery Season 3

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/955604453/m/2037017796

December 20, 2021, 06:38 PM
Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
Star Trek Discovery Season 3
Looks like a stellar set to me, even if all of the pictured autographs are all going to be EL or Scarce.(I’ll admit to loving Discovery, so maybe I’m a bit biased). However, it makes me really happy that Steve & Co. got Karen Robinson to sign. She was a guest star with a small role on one episode, but she played Ronnie on Schitt’s Creek. Looking forward to cracking these cases...

January 30, 2022, 06:04 AM
Guess I’m alone here… Frown

January 30, 2022, 11:28 AM
Raven
I don't know what the number of viewers are for Discovery, but card wise, I think Picard has gotten more interest. That's because the feeling of having characters with a direct link to old Star Trek is there with Picard and Seven of Nine. Discovery started from a new place and if you didn't get on board with Season One, you're not interested in Season Three. For myself with Picard, I bought the cards even though I hadn't yet watched it. I have since seen Season One.

Also, many people just don't get to see Discovery where they are, if they wanted to watch. People can't sign up to every subscription channel.

The cards look nice, but I don't watch the show, so I don't need the base set and the only autographs I want are actors I know from other projects.
January 30, 2022, 11:56 AM
catskilleagle
I watched Season 1 of Discovery. CBS played the pilot and then the show moved to CBS All Access which you had to subscribe to and I didn't. However, to fill a time slot, CBS played the Season 1 episodes around the time Season 2 was streaming and I watched the show every week. It was a good story though the idea of a space ship running on "mushrooms" sounds too much like a joke from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I know a younger Spock appears in Season 2 but I just haven't been interested enough to make an effort to watch the show any further - probably would though if CBS runs the episodes.
January 30, 2022, 05:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I don't know what the number of viewers are for Discovery, but card wise, I think Picard has gotten more interest. That's because the feeling of having characters with a direct link to old Star Trek is there with Picard and Seven of Nine. Discovery started from a new place and if you didn't get on board with Season One, you're not interested in Season Three. For myself with Picard, I bought the cards even though I hadn't yet watched it. I have since seen Season One.

Also, many people just don't get to see Discovery where they are, if they wanted to watch. People can't sign up to every subscription channel.

The cards look nice, but I don't watch the show, so I don't need the base set and the only autographs I want are actors I know from other projects.

I know Paramount really ****** off its European audience by moving it from Netflix to their subscription service.

I happen to think it’s really good, and so does my non-Trekkie wife. The first season was not that great, but no worse than the first season of the other Trek iterations(TOS excluded).

January 31, 2022, 05:17 AM
mykdude
quote:
Originally posted by Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane:
Guess I’m alone here… Frown

Yeah sorry, I have been on the Star Trek card burn out train for a few years now. Basically I look to see if there are any new interesting autographs and then move on.

January 31, 2022, 01:42 PM
Hedgehog Witch
When it was on Netflix here in the UK, great. I watched it and enjoyed it. But I will NOT be taking out yet another subscription for the Paramount streaming just to see one show. It's good, but not that good.
I'm at the point of just collecting a few autographs of new characters/actors as/when/if they appear, anyway. I'll collect if they take my eye, pass along if they don't.
February 01, 2022, 07:37 AM
STCardGeek
Since nearly all Star Trek is now on Paramount Plus, it isn't just for one show anymore.
Star Trek has been the joy of my life since I was 5. I send them my money happily each month.
I know that's not the case for everyone. This is a non-sports forum, not a Star Trek forum Wink

February 01, 2022, 10:34 AM
Hedgehog Witch
Yeah, if you a fan of it all and don't have the DVDs etc then that's a good deal. Personally I have a Sky TV subscription, Netflix and Amazon, I can't justify yet another sub on top of that. I like most of the Trek series, but not enough to stretch to another streaming service. I will probably try to access it through other *cough* ways if I want to continue watching ST Discovery, and I think a lot of UK people will do the same. It's wrong, but I can't print money to afford to watch every thing that's released on all the various services that are required.
February 08, 2022, 07:34 AM
ravenheart
For me, Discovery is the only ST set I collect autographs from. I tend to find the show is particularly popular with non-ST people, and less so with long-time devotees. It's certainly a very different kind of show.

The availability of the Discovery cards in the UK and Europe has far outweighed the availability of Picard cards too.

I'm looking forward to this set. But yes, expect all the good new autographs to be unbuyable, just like every set these days.
February 14, 2022, 05:56 PM
Curler
I am looking forward to this set. It will be nice to add some new Star Trek signers to my collection.
February 16, 2022, 03:59 AM
Scifi Cards
Just visited RA's site...

New release date is March 9, so a 2 week delay.

As delay's go in the industry, this isn't too bad. Hope it does not change again.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

February 26, 2022, 11:56 PM
Raven
The checklist for Discovery 3 is now up. RA has doubled down on the number of autograph cards that are pack only and the number of autograph cards that are archive box exclusives. There are 22 archive box exclusives, and it looks like over three times as many autograph cards that are regular packs only, counting the inscription variants.

I'm not sure how a gimmick that makes people want to give up sells more cards. Big Grin
February 27, 2022, 12:02 PM
stevetrek
I am really enjoying the current season. All the seasons have been on Paramount+. Although when a show changes apps it is really annoying. Yellow stone looked interesting, but the first 2 seasons are on Spectrum and the remainder are somewhere else.

Picard season 2 is coming up soon.