Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Magazine article on Nu Card Dinosaur cards

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/955604453/m/2017015296

February 05, 2020, 12:57 AM
catskilleagle
Magazine article on Nu Card Dinosaur cards
Last month, I picked the latest issue of "Prehistoric Times," a magazine devoted to the world of prehistoric animal collectibles (mostly toys, models, with occasional coverage of cards) touching on the science of paleontology as well. That issue, #131, contained the second part of a two-part article on Nu Card dinosaurs cards from 1961. I ordered the back issue #130 to read the whole article. It provides some background on the card manufacturer and reviews the artwork on the cards to credit the artists. The author noted that there are a few informative articles on the set in past issues of "The Wrapper" as well.

I was thinking of writing an article or least putting together a post or two about that after completing my set but am still about ten cards short.

I've seen singles, including graded ones, and some unopened packs for sale. Occasionally, I see cello-packs of cards too. Does anyone know how these were distributed?

Jess
February 17, 2020, 07:56 PM
monsterwax
They had a nice box to hold the packs and you can see an image of it in the Benjamin guide. It was common for them to also sell off-center or leftover cards in cello packs from vending machines. I've heard of other vending machines that would give you a few cards without a cello wrapper (naked!) for a coin. (I can't remember if it was 3 for a nickel or 1 for a penny-- but since there was no gum, it was probably a penny.) Someone once said they got Mars Attacks from a machine like that. I wish they would bring those card vending machines back-- especially for those nickel prices!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: monsterwax,

February 18, 2020, 12:31 AM
catskilleagle
Thanks for the info. I've seen the box. It is a nice one.

I liked your article on the Topps 75th set in "The Wrapper" last year. That was my favorite set of the past decade.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by monsterwax:
They had a nice box to hold the packs and you can see an image of it in the Benjamin guide. It was common for them to also sell off-center or leftover cards in cello packs from vending machines. I've heard of other vending machines that would give you a few cards without a cello wrapper (naked!) for a coin. (I can't remember if it was 3 for a nickel or 1 for a penny-- but since there was no gum, it was probably a penny.) Someone once said they got Mars Attacks from a machine like that. I wish they would bring those card vending machines back-- especially for those nickel prices!

February 18, 2020, 10:00 AM
JOHN LEVITT
quote:
Originally posted by monsterwax:

Kurt

I remember seeing those type of machines here in the UK in the early 1960's dispensing cards for a British penny not an American one although I can't remember what cards were being dispensed. I doubt that they would have been a Topps card as A & BC issued Topps cards under licence and under their own brand name. The cards were smaller too.

regards

John