Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Will there be no Outlander Season 5 edition?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will there be no Outlander Season 5 edition?
 Login/Join

posted
Will there be no Outlander Season 5 edition?
I always thought the series was so successful at Cryptozoic.

Posts: 24 | Location: Europe | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Cryptozoic is doing some internal restructuring, as some people have left, and I'm sure financial considerations are also being evaluated along all its product lines. They seem to be doing more toys and games than non-sport titles right now.

If they still have the Outlander license by the time they can get it together, I would think they would come back with one. The cards have been successful to collectors themselves. Whether that translated well to their bottom line only CZE knows.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
I've wondered about this for a while. In the past a set has come out around the time of a new season, so they're filming Season 6 at the moment, and that's not due to be aired until 2022, so maybe CZE will coincide a S5 set then. But the longer it goes with no indication of another set, might mean it's not happening.

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I hope they keep them going. If you're a collector and fan of the show those sets were really great.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Reported on Blowout that Outlander license either ended or was pulled, can't figure out which, but CZE will not be doing any more cards.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Did Crypto actually release any card sets at all in 2021 ? I recall the 3 "Crisis on Infinite Earths" promo cards in late 2020, but that is about it.

And now 3 new Middle Earth promos in NSU.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an email newsletter from CZE today and the only card set mentioned is the "Crisis..." one, but no actual date just 'Coming soon'. Most of the email was devoted to pretty ugly lumps of plastic for those tacky vinyl type of figures.(I'm not a fan of those Big Grin )

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
They also mention a few Kickstarter backed projects too, which to me means that they really don't have the funding to put out big licensed card properties on their own. I know they lost people in the card division, perhaps the whole crew, but only CZX Crisis Infinite Earths and CZX Middle Earth are still in production enough for there to be promos and some trade publicity. That's due for 2022, maybe.

It doesn't look good. Cryptozoic is following the familiar pattern of other card makers that just petered out of non-sport cards, while branching into other games or toys. Then you don't hear about them anymore.

Hope that won't be the case here, they made some nice sets. Cryptozoic is supposed to be represented at the next Philly card show, so maybe someone can ask them if they intend to expand past CZX and when those two titles will be ready. I don't know if ultra high end will be the answer long term if they don't buy licenses with mainstream demand.

Don't think those figures will keep them afloat either. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Remember what happened with Tuff Stuff's Collect magazine ?

They started off focusing exclusively on cards, and then towards the end they were covering statues and action figures, I believe.

The magazine folded shortly there afterwards.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Others may know more of this than me, but I just saw a grovelling post on instagram from CZE about paying sketch artists. From the comments it sounds like artists produced and submitted the work and some haven't been paid for 13 months!
Plenty of excuses and the usual waffle, but it seems it was only the stink-up people caused on some social media that has got any response from CZE.

That doesn't sound particularly good for any company. That seems to fill the usual "struggling business" profile starting with not paying your contracts. It usually goes even more downhill after that. Hope I'm wrong.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Not defending CZE too much, but...

Many of these contracts specifically say no payment until the set releases.

Both CZX products are WAY behind schedule due to many factors.

But, I also understand that some of these go back to sets that have been released, and for that there is no excuse. But I thought the public plea was an odd choice for any company.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
CZE's Mea Culpa was a hoot. The best part, "Our team is small. We have one person processing hundreds of invoices . . ."

If its one person, do you get to call it a team? Big Grin

It stands to reason that the underlying problem is financial when the products have not been finished, the money has not come in from orders and the contracts can't be paid until money does come in. While its all bad signs, the fact that CZE has made a public response to artist complaints does indicate that at least for now they are trying to salvage the business. I hope they can.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of jademaliburoad
posted Hide Post
Really hope too.
New NSU is featuring their new CZX middle earth cards (saw that when I checked the past issues of NSU).

Posts: 1188 | Location: France | Registered: April 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Cryptozoic has announced that Outlander Season 5 will be happening and the first promo will be available at the Philly Show next weekend!

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never seen Outlander but I'm happy for fans of the show and the cards that a Season 5 set is officially happening.

Posts: 62 | Location: The World | Registered: August 03, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post