Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Sherlock Holmes and Victorian Crime:
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sherlock Holmes and Victorian Crime:
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted
A Sketch Pack card set from Cult-Stuff. Limited to 850 packs released in 2 waves. The first wave is to be released in late November. The set comprises 18 Basic cards (6 per pack) and a range of chase cards, (2 per pack) including a 9 card canvas puzzle set, and tobacco size mini parallel cards in three numbered foil variations, along with some secret chase cards. And of course Sketch cards from some of the best talent around. Each pack has at least 1 sketch card, and many will have more. All multi panel cards will be included in the same pack, and some packs will have redemption's for extras including uncut sheets, books and other interesting bits. We will be adding more surprises before the release. Below is the packaging and some sample sketch cards:

The updated artist list is:
Carolyn Edwards
Robert Hack
Jayson Kretzer
Mark Dos Santos
Beck Kramer
Laura Inglis
Ted Dastick
Mark Slater
Kristin Allen
Leah Mangue
Cynthia Narcisi
Lee Lightfoot
Ryan M Kincaid
Edward Cherniga
+more

If your in the UK you can stop by the NSU table at Memorabilia for a promo card and subscribe for an exclusive foil card and promos from other upcoming sets.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sci-FiPlanet,

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
Great looking cards, I have a pack on order and can't wait to see what I pull.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks great and I think Cult Stuff has the right idea by following the business model that they have set up. I am looking forward to working with them on projects.

Posts: 377 | Location: Ohio | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
They look great, Jason!

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
Artist update with some info on card numbers. Not everyone's final numbers are listed because they are working in two waves so until we have the cards and they are approved it's hard to tell. The numbers are for each card even if they are part of a multi card set, so for example Lee Lightfoot has 70 cards but he also did two 9 card panels each 9 card panel would go into one pack meaning that rather than 70 packs with Lee's cards you only have 54. (In reality he did several two card panels as well so the odds are lower still). Most of the cards are visible on this link: www.Cult-stuff.com/cards

Carolyn Edwards 44
Robert Hack 31
Jayson Kretzer 10
Mark Dos Santos 87 (B&W)
Beck Kramer 50
Laura Inglis 25
Ted Dastick 10
Mark Slater
Kristin Allen
Leah Mangue
Cynthia Narcisi 10
Lee Lightfoot 70
Ryan M Kincaid
Edward Cherniga
Gerald de Dios
+more

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hoffmaster007
posted Hide Post
Hello! I just recieved my ten packs today. Very nicely Done! I've only opened two packs thus far ( been reading the backs and checking everything out! And they are very securely packaged! ) but I really like this set. In the scan is one of the sketch cards and also a nicely done canvas/cloth card.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57186259@N03/5269961785/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hoffmaster007,

Posts: 161 | Location: Harrisburg Pa U.S.A. | Registered: August 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sci-FiPlanet:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
The truly ironic thing is that I host the website which displays more of Strictly Inks cards than he seems to be able to manage.
You might want to put your own house in order before pointing out the failings of others. The Cult-Stuff website contains the following statement with regard to its Sherlock Holmes and Victorian Crime collection:

"We will be publishing the full list of all artists involved with the set AND the number of cards each artist has completed. Scans of all the cards will also be available HERE. We are absolutely committed to transparency when it comes to artist lists, and card numbers, this information makes collecting the cards much easier."

This set has now been on sale for some time but a complete list of artists has yet to appear, how many each has done is still not forthcoming and scans of all the sketches have not been posted. At least not as far as I can see.

Actually thats not quite right, the first half of the set has been out, and a lot of the scans are available here: www.cult-stuff.com/cards and have been for sometime.

The second half has been delayed for some time now, for a number of reasons, including some artists pulling out because they couldn't work on our card stock. Because of that I had to go back to artists and commission new ones to do work for the second lot of sketch cards. Until I have all the cards I cant give those final numbers and lists. I would rather be late than post incorrect information.

We have things in pretty good order Smile In fact I think you will find a thread in this very forum with some (not final) numbers from artists included. If you would like to criticize our stuff that would be fine with me, but please do it in a thread that belongs to one of our sets lol We could do with the traffic Wink
As requested, I am posting my reply on a more appropriate thread Smile

To get back to the topic in hand, to maintain your stated intention of being totally transparent about sketches in your sets I would expect to see an explanation of any hold ups or failure to produce the information that was promised to appear on the Cult-Stuff website itself not hidden away in a forum like this.

As for criticism of your set, I only have one question at the moment. I see that several of Carolyn Edwards sketches feature images from the recent BBC TV series 'Sherlock' and also from the earlier ITV Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series. Are these licensed from their respective companies or does your Sherlock Holmes license cover them ?

quote:
Originally posted by Sci-FiPlanet:One last thing: I was pointing out the failings of other LONG before we started making cards. Why would I stop that now?
As you are now making cards and making quite a big deal out of how your company is going to be completely transparent in its operation and, presumably, more professional in its activities than others it seems somewhat incompatible with this approach that you should continue to pour scorn on the way other companies operate as that is, in my honest opionion, a totally unprofessional way to operate.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kevin F,

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Kevin F - are you a spokesman for SI?
No, but I am fed up to the back teeth with Sci-FiPlanet's ongoing campaign against them in which he takes any and every opportunity to stir things up about/against them. It's become some kind of personal vendetta and that's what bothers me.

quote:
Let's face it even a poor web-site gives more information than SI's over inflated claims on their product. I do agree that others in glass houses shouldn't throw stones - but lets pack up with the SI Defence League Big Grin
Cult-stuff have promoted their intention of being a whiter-than-white, professional card company. Hence, allowing one of their 'staff' to act in an unprofessional manner regarding a competitor on a public forum does not look good in this respect. This isn't helped when the company themselves are not quite living up to their own ideals.

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
The truly ironic thing is that I host the website which displays more of Strictly Inks cards than he seems to be able to manage.
You might want to put your own house in order before pointing out the failings of others. The Cult-Stuff website contains the following statement with regard to its Sherlock Holmes and Victorian Crime collection:

"We will be publishing the full list of all artists involved with the set AND the number of cards each artist has completed. Scans of all the cards will also be available HERE. We are absolutely committed to transparency when it comes to artist lists, and card numbers, this information makes collecting the cards much easier."

This set has now been on sale for some time but a complete list of artists has yet to appear, how many each has done is still not forthcoming and scans of all the sketches have not been posted. At least not as far as I can see.

Actually thats not quite right, the first half of the set has been out, and a lot of the scans are available here: www.cult-stuff.com/cards and have been for sometime.

The second half has been delayed for some time now, for a number of reasons, including some artists pulling out because they couldn't work on our card stock. Because of that I had to go back to artists and commission new ones to do work for the second lot of sketch cards. Until I have all the cards I cant give those final numbers and lists. I would rather be late than post incorrect information.

We have things in pretty good order Smile In fact I think you will find a thread in this very forum with some (not final) numbers from artists included. If you would like to criticize our stuff that would be fine with me, but please do it in a thread that belongs to one of our sets lol We could do with the traffic Wink
As requested, I am posting my reply on a more appropriate thread Smile

To get back to the topic in hand, to maintain your stated intention of being totally transparent about sketches in your sets I would expect to see an explanation of any hold ups or failure to produce the information that was promised to appear on the Cult-Stuff website itself not hidden away in a forum like this.

As for criticism of your set, I only have one question at the moment. I see that several of Carolyn Edwards sketches feature images from the recent BBC TV series 'Sherlock' and also from the earlier ITV Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series. Are these licensed from their respective companies or does your Sherlock Holmes license cover them ?

quote:
Originally posted by Sci-FiPlanet:One last thing: I was pointing out the failings of other LONG before we started making cards. Why would I stop that now?
As you are now making cards and making quite a big deal out of how your company is going to be completely transparent in its operation and, presumably, more professional in its activities than others it seems somewhat incompatible with this approach that you should continue to poor scorn on the way other companies operate as that is, in my honest opionion, a totally unprofessional way to operate.

Well fair enough you have at least come to the right thread to hit me with these questions. First one: I don't think the NSU forum is tucked away as such, should we put a delay notice on the main site? Perhaps, however everyone waiting for cards has been informed of whats going on via email, and a lot of the others read these forums.

The next question: Of the images that Carolyn produced two do have a strong resemblance to the new Sherlock actor, I would have to agree with you. They are very nice one off illustrations which are not reproduced or advertised in anyway (aside as you have seen on the site referencing them as her work). These cards do not make up the body of the set, in fact all the material for the set is new art (with the exception of cards 15 and 16 which are illustrations from the original stories).

It would be fair to say we may have a case to answer for on those 4 or 5 sketch cards. I think the fact that they are derivative of something that is itself derived from a public domain property and are one off illustrations not intended for sale in there own right would negate that but time will tell. As it happens at least three of those images have been pulled from the set. We do not hold a license from ITV, or the BBC to use there materials. We have been working with close to 100% original art for the Sherlock Holmes set. I hardly think the transparency of our company is based completely on the fact that I said we will tell you guys which artists are on a set and how many cards they did (which we will do btw) I think it may also have something to do with the fact that we run one of the most accessible small press card companies around. I answer everyone’s questions (eventually) I talk about our work in very public forums (like facebook and twitter) and I am absolutely approachable by just about everyone. Heck I even respond to people who call me names!

Your third point about the professionalism of our/my actions.

I can see your point, you know once you HAVE a card company should you really be throwing rocks at the other guys? That's something I really had to put a lot of thought into. The truth is I am more interested in the welfare of the hobby that what some people may or may not think of me personally. I’m sorry you feel we/I act in an unprofessional way, I disagree with you on that however. (I would fully admit to not being tactful and being disorganised on the other hand) Part of what I do is talk about cards and say what I think, I’m not going to silence myself simply because I make the things now. I think it would be wrong to stand by in silence and ignore things you think are wrong. That said if you would like to follow us around and point out the things we do wrong you are more than welcome to, it might be helpful, having someone doggedly trying to make sure we are honest.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Kevin F - are you a spokesman for SI?
No, but I am fed up to the back teeth with Sci-FiPlanet's ongoing campaign against them in which he takes any and every opportunity to stir things up about/against them. It's become some kind of personal vendetta and that's what bothers me.

quote:
Let's face it even a poor web-site gives more information than SI's over inflated claims on their product. I do agree that others in glass houses shouldn't throw stones - but lets pack up with the SI Defence League Big Grin
Cult-stuff have promoted their intention of being a whiter-than-white, professional card company. Hence, allowing one of their 'staff' to act in an unprofessional manner regarding a competitor on a public forum does not look good in this respect. This isn't helped when the company themselves are not quite living up to their own ideals.

Ahhh The truth well out. You see it’s not personal at all between me and SI, far far from it. I have skipped MANY occasions on which I could have said negative things about them. I think what they did was wrong, I exposed it, and thats that. I still think some of the things they are doing are wrong, including aftermarket cards at least a year after the set closed. Thats not personal it’s my opinion. We are also not whiter than white, just more open than many. Oh and it’s not just SI I have said a lot about Upper Deck, and I have tossed rocks at Topps as well in the past

Picture of Blue Horseshoe
posted Hide Post
2 More Expansion Cards for this set have been inserted into the New Wars of the Worlds Set from Cult Stuff, Expansion Card #21 & #22.

Expansion card #22 runs at 1 per case, while #21 runs at 2 per case.

Dave.

Posts: 280 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post