Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I just noticed that there is a hobby edition and a UK edition for Doctor Who. Twice as much made, and of course exclusives. Roll Eyes

Where did you find the SRPs?

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
Dealers had the details and price.
Yeah, I saw about the two version boxes. They did that with a couple of the GoT sets. Just another gimmick... Roll Eyes Big Grin

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
Details from RA site:-

Factory-sealed DOCTOR WHO Series 11 & 12 Trading Cards - UK Edition Box of Cards (24 Packs). Limited Edition of 5,000 Numbered Boxes. 4 Autograph Cards Per Box, including 1 Inscription Autograph Card Per Box! All Autographs Signed On-Card!
Autograph Card Signers include Jodie Whittaker (The Doctor), Mandip Gill (Yaz/Yasmin Khan), Tosin Cole (Ryan Sinclair), Sacha Dhawan (The Master), Jo Martin (The Fugitive Doctor), Sharon D. Clarke (Grace O’Brien), Alan Cumming (King James), Brett Goldstein (Astos)(also Roy Kent from Ted Lasso!), Patrick O’Kane (The Lone Cyberman), Paul Kasey (Judoon Captain), Mark Addy (Paltraki), Samuel Oatley (T’Zim-Sha), Robert Glenister (Thomas Edison), Sylvie Briggs (Ada Lovelace), Bhav Parmar (Sonya Khan), Anjli Mohindra (Queen of the Skith), Nicholas Briggs (Voice of Daleks), Seylan Baxter (Tecteun) and many more! Look for UK Autograph Card Exclusives!

Base set features 60 cards, with 3 cards for each of the ten Series 11 episodes and for each of the ten Series 12 episodes. Photos and plot synopses for every episode!

Bonus sets include Regular Autograph Cards (1:8 Packs), including UK exclusives; Inscription Autograph Cards (1:24 Packs), including UK exclusives; 60 Parallel Base Cards (1:1 Packs); 60 TEAL TARDIS Foil-Stamped Parallel Base Cards (Numbered to 99 each)(UK Exclusive); 60 ORANGE TARDIS Foil-Stamped Parallel Base Cards (Numbered to 50 each)(UK Exclusive); 16 New Year’s Specials Cards (1:24 Packs); 1 New Year’s Special 2019 Poster Card (1:288 Packs (UK Exclusive); 7 Asia/Painted Poster Cards (1:48 Packs) (UK Exclusive); 4 Graffiti Art Character Cards (1:144 Packs)(UK Exclusive); 5 Heroes of Doctor Who Cards (1:48 Packs); 9 TARDIS Cards (1:48 Packs); 4 “Space For All” Portraits Cards (1:288 Packs); 18 Allies & Adversaries Cards (1:12 Packs) (UK Exclusive)

...and a US version which looks like it contains different variant parallel cards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WOMBLE,

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The only names I know are Whittaker, Addy and Cumming. RA has now put the box price up at $199.99. I get that it's 4 autos per box, but you still need the big signer for that price.

Sorry to appear negative, but how does this fly in the USA, where there are a lot fewer committed Doctor Who fans? Why do RA products have to cost so much now? I like their cards and titles, but this stuff is just picking up one or two autograph cards for me now. I love busting packs and sampling new titles, but it makes no sense for me to touch a box like this, even though I would happily try it at half the cost, which used to be the cost of a premium card product. Shake Head

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
The only names I know are Whittaker, Addy and Cumming. RA has now put the box price up at $199.99. I get that it's 4 autos per box, but you still need the big signer for that price.

All the autographs named are for Dr Who seasons 11 & 12, so that's good, but I do not understand the price either. The nearest comparable product I can see is the 'Women of Star Trek: Art and Images' which looks like it had a much lower box price. Doctor Who collectors have been rather cool on the new Whittaker series, so placing an additional price barrier on it is a puzzle.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
$ 199.99 per box ? Is that a record for a RA box or have there been more expensive boxes ? Is this the new norm ?

It's been 3 or 4 years since I bought a box of new RA product and back then they were all under 100, from what I recall. I could be wrong.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Their Buffy cards SRPed at $399.99, but that was a special sort of factory package, supported by those sketch incentives, so not a traditional product.

I think their GoT Iron 1 and 2 boxes at $169.99 was the highest, but I can't remember what I paid for Valyrian and InfleXions. Less I think.

It's interesting to note that I know for a fact that both Iron 1 and Iron 2 are still readily available and being sold at $125 a box. The SRP is almost always discounted because dealers are of course paying wholesale pricing. Still, they don't want to get near below cost.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
There is no way, whatever you pull from your box, that you can cover $200 in sales.

Total madness. Shake Head

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I remember in the mid-1990s when every box was $ 40 to $ 50 tops. And when a few boxes came along, circa 1995-96, in the $ 80 range, people couldn't believe it.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
4 autographs per box including an inscription is awesome!

4 autograph hits per box is also awesome.

Recent Upper Deck products like their James Bond sets MSRP around $140, with 3 hits per box -- one autograph, 1 relic and one other card.

$200 for 4 real hits is fantastic!

Might dip my toe in this even though I've never watched Who -- had a lot of fun opening the Topps packs.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think this release will do really well in the USA and bomb in the UK . The sports card speculators are pushing everything higher in the USA but nothing like that exists in the UK . It would not surprise me at all if 50%+ of the UK boxes ended up being sold to USA dealers .

As an example of where the UK market is the recent Hammer release had three hits per box and they are struggling to sell at $55 in the UK .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
I think this release will do really well in the USA and bomb in the UK . The sports card speculators are pushing everything higher in the USA but nothing like that exists in the UK . It would not surprise me at all if 50%+ of the UK boxes ended up being sold to USA dealers .

As an example of where the UK market is the recent Hammer release had three hits per box and they are struggling to sell at $55 in the UK .

Great point. I don't know if the differences in the market have ever been as wide as they are now.

I'd think perhaps that Unstoppable could sell a good amount of product in the US if they were on forums and things talking about their products.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Part of the problem with this release is that Jodie Whittaker's Doctor absolutely bombed in the UK. She had the lowest viewing figures in the history of the show going back to the 1960s. Unless you are a superfan, I can't see there being a big appetite for this in the UK anyway.

Posts: 29 | Location: scotland | Registered: May 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:

4 autograph hits per box is also awesome.

But that is only correct if the 4 autographs you pull are each worth over $50 and on that list i cannot see anybody who i would pay $50 for and i'm a big Dr Who fan.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
There are also some variations in the case toppers. I do not understand why there is a separate UK release, the market to sell large quantities of boxes does not exist in the UK for these sort of products.

Case Topper (one per case) 3-D TARDIS Dectation Card (Hobby Exclusive)
Case Topper (one per case) 3-D DALEK Dectation Card (UK Exclusive)

4-Case Incentive: Dual Autograph Card Signed by Sacha Dhawan (The Master) and Patrick O’Kane (The Lone Cyberman)

8-Case Incentive: Dual Autograph Card Signed by Jodie Whittaker (The Doctor) and Sacha Dhawan (The Master) (Hobby Exclusive)
8-Case Incentive: Dual Autograph Card Signed by Jodie Whittaker (The Doctor) and Jo Martin (Fugitive Doctor) (UK Exclusive)

12-Case Incentive: DOCTOR WHO Series 11 & 12 Trading Cards ARCHIVE BOX

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
My own original assessment was that it would do OK in the UK and be a dud in the USA. Hearing from the UK members now, if Doctor Who UK fans aren't going to buy it up, either because of the cost or because the series was unpopular tor them or both, I can't see how the US market reacts any more favorably to it.

Here are my thoughts . . .

- The UK release is said to be 5,000 LIMITED boxes. I would think the hobby edition is at least that much, maybe more. The last 2 GoT products came out as 18,000 and 15.000 box runs. I think we could be talking about a lot of Doctor Who cards. There must be at least 20,000 autograph cards in every 5,000 boxes.

- Doctor Who doesn't have a large non-hobby base in the US. By that I mean, it has fans and viewers and card collectors that know about it, but it is not popular with the general public. It is relatively unknown as a series to most people here as far as I know. TOPPS already put out the title extensively and those cards eventually became discounted and were selling at $30 a pack with one autograph. They are still easy to find on eBay and TOPPS didn't keep the title.

- Yes, card speculators will buy both sports cards and non-sport boxes/cases if they see big hits and the potential to make good profits. Besides Whittaker, who is the 13th Doctor, where is the big $1,000 autograph in this product? Is she even a $1,000 card? Who else is there when again, these actors are largely not known in the USA unless you are watching the series. And it's still on TV, they are not film stars.

- Chances are, no one is even thinking of trying to complete this set to keep a collection going.

- Finally, to wolfie's point, what good are 4 autograph cards in a $200 box if they are worth 3 @ $12 and 1 @ $25? If the hits are 3 common signers and a common signer with an inscription, you are kicking yourself all the way home. Big Grin An inscription card of a "nobody" is not a big hit. A scarce card of a "nobody" is not a big hit. An autograph from an actor you never heard of is not a big hit and you have no reason to want it either.

I just can't see this box price for this product. I'm sure the cards will be nice, but I'll have to let someone else open the packs and cherry pick what I want later on and I feel it's a missed opportunity for a new series.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The price of this really makes me cringe when I think about what the next set will be priced at, with Eccleston & Tennant signing for it. Eek

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That is an interesting observation. Does Dr. Who have more of a following in the UK than Hammer Horror? Did Cornerstone sell more boxes of Dr. Who than Hammer Horror? I would say Hammer had its heyday in the 60's and maybe early 70's while Dr. Who has continued to the present day so the latter would seem to have more fans now. I see the cases sold out with some box deals still available. Dealers must have anticipated brisk sales. It does seem like exactly what collectors have said they wanted (low cost box with multiple autographs).

I don't see Dr. Who being a big seller in the U.S. Sales require big fans of the show who are avid card collectors with little reluctance to pay $200 for one box. It's not that easy to find a lot of people who are all three. I'm a big fan of The Mandalorian and I collect cards but I can't pay the $200 for that now. It's true we can't expect every box of cards to stay below $100 with rising costs for everybody over time but the jump to $200 took almost no time at all. It's not like the average collector got a giant raise at work in the same interval of time.

quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's always hard to predict what will happen with a release , if I was good at it I could have retired a lot sooner than I did Big Grin .

Based on what I am reading on other forums there are new buyers in the USA non sport market . Crucially those buyers are mainly speculators rather than collectors so the subject matter is of secondary importance to the primary motive " can I make a profit ? " .

There is no such influx in the UK , the number of collectors has stayed stable and may even have shrunk a little as people get older . Unless Rittenhouse can get the BBC to publicize the card release when advertising the show I guarantee 99.9% of viewers will never hear about the cards .

Another point which I have not seen anyone mention yet is that the cost to UK buyers will be significantly higher than the one quoted . As far as I am aware Rittenhouse does not have a UK subsidiary so although they are calling it a UK Edition it is still being produced in USA and will be subject to import and custom duties in addition to increased freight costs . That $199.99 is going to be about $270 which makes it even more unlikely to sell well .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
UK prices I've been quoted are nowhere near that. Still expensive but not that much

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post