Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Did having a US box and UK box make any difference with the previous series?

John

Overall, not much to me. MY LHS got a case of each. There were a few chase cards that were exclusive to each edition, and it seemed like some autographs were more prevalent in one or the other, but that could just have been the luck.

They came in at an average premium box price and stayed that way. I was just buying boxes from boredom, since they didn't move to anyone else. I stopped when I started to get too many autograph doubles. The base card doubles were ridiculous. That base set must be worth $2.

The best cards I pulled were two different designs from Mandip Gill. Julie Graham, I wanted and she kept coming up. I also got Cumming and Addy, but they are worth less than expected, and a couple of average duals. I never saw the Doctor or the Master in either edition. Still wasted money even with the discount, but it was for the fun of busting packs. Smile

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Raven

Thank you for the explanation. I would have kept a few untorn or cut wrappers also if I had purchased a box.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Raven

Thank you for the explanation. I would have kept a few untorn or cut wrappers also if I had purchased a box.

regards

John

I got a box of each and got a Paul Kasey inscription bordered Auto in both boxes and a Kevin Eldon auto in both boxes as well !!. Kept a couple of wrappers from both

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
I got a box of each and got a Paul Kasey inscription bordered Auto in both boxes and a Kevin Eldon auto in both boxes as well !!. Kept a couple of wrappers from both

That's truly bad luck when you just had two boxes and could have pulled anyone from the whole checklist. I got several doubles and even triples, between them too. After all, with four autographs per box, the likelihood of getting the most common signers just increases.

I'm pretty sure RA, or its packer company, were probably following the same insertion formula, so sometimes you can get the same combination of signers in clusters.

The idea of having a "Hobby Edition" and a "UK Edition" or an "International Edition" is just another way to double production while still calling it a limited product to me. Except for a couple of designated hits and one or two small chase sets, the cards are exactly the same. Once removed from the box and packs, you can't know which edition the cards came from, if you didn't open it yourself.

It would be one thing if the cards themselves bore any indication of an Edition, but as that would require more work and cost, they don't. So beyond the set completest, who may feel the need to search out everything made everywhere, I regard multiple Editions as just another way for the manufacturer to try to make the regular look like something special. Wink

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Just looked at this release and it all looks quite nice, the chase sets will be fairly easy for the dealers to put together, however the parallels are a diffrent story, i think even the dealers will struggle to make a set of those.

Ecclestone still does not know how to sign his name just scrawls across the card making it look hopeless. I like the Cristina Cole one though.

Nerd Alert: Rittenhouse spelt Christina wrong on the website, fortunatly it is correct on the card.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wolfie,

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
......and while we are at it

Where's Kylie??

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
...Where's Kylie??

You should be so lucky! Big Grin

Also Carey Mulligan, Felicity Jones and Catherine Tate would have made great cards.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VinnyH
posted Hide Post
Andrew Garfield (Frank) has signed for Dr Who 1-4. I kind of expect him to be the shortest print of all the autos.
VinnyH

Posts: 102 | Location: Pleasantville, NY | Registered: November 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
In the upcoming Doctor Who 1 - 4, there will be a 156 card base set. Each box contains 120 cards in total. So it will take a minimum of 2 boxes with the right card mix to make a full set.

For Doctor Who 11 - 12, there was a 60 card base set and duplicates galore.

Which is worse? To have a cheap base set? Or to have MOST of a better base set? And what was so bad about the 90 card base sets anyway?

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
According to Rittenhouse its because they want to have 3 cards per episode of seasons 1 - 4. I think that perhaps they should have split the base set into two boxes "Box A" with all the odd numbered cards and "Box B" with all the even numbered. They split a James Bond base set of 200 in a similar fashion although they had a gap between issues.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think that perhaps they should have split the base set into two boxes "Box A" with all the odd numbered cards and "Box B" with all the even numbered. They split a James Bond base set of 200 in a similar fashion although they had a gap between issues.

regards

John

Yes, I suggested labeling group boxes for something a long time ago, when these big base sets started showing up. Never happened, more work and expense for the maker, but it's frustrating to buy the required number of multiple boxes and still be missing cards.

And the idea of elevating the value of the base set still won't work well enough to even out box value. How much will a complete 156 card base set cost when these boxes come out and are broken? More than the set from Series 11 & 12 for sure, but a lot less than trying to do it yourself by box buying, if the base set is what you want.

I think its already been shown that collectors will only pay so much for any recent base set and that the average cards in more expensive product do not automatically translate to more expensive cards just because the product cost more or requires more boxes for the whole.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
New date May 3rd.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinnyH:
Andrew Garfield (Frank) has signed for Dr Who 1-4. I kind of expect him to be the shortest print of all the autos.
VinnyH

They have now posted the checklist, and the Andrew Garfield card is listed as scarce, so no surprise there.

The Archive box looks good for those wanting all the top autographs.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
With a complete set excluding parallels totalling over 400 cards if I have my maths correct it will take some doing as well as money just to collect them. I am a bit confused regarding the Archive box, exclusives are there just 16 boxes with 1 of 4 in each?

I will consider myself lucky if I manage to get just a base set and a binder. I have sent for the free P1 Promo so I might just end up with that.

regards

John

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
With a complete set excluding parallels totalling over 400 cards if I have my maths correct it will take some doing as well as money just to collect them. I am a bit confused regarding the Archive box, exclusives are there just 16 boxes with 1 of 4 in each?

The archive box link is here : https://www.scifihobby.com/pro...ents-DWHO_Ser1-4.jpg

Many signers have done inscription cards (not in archive box) but have not done single autograph cards, so this set will be really tricky to complete.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
As a non-Who follower on the other side of the ocean, there seems very little here for me besides the big autographs, and that is all Scarce or Exclusive. Otherwise, I know Harry Lloyd and Struan Rodger from GoT and that's about it. Now Garfield and Tennant don't seem to have inscription cards.

I have been informed that these boxes won't be severely discounted off the SRP, as Series 11 & 12 were. If that is the case, I must withdraw. Wink

Now I think the incentives are quite telling because they are loaded for the multi-case buyers, who are the dealers and flippers. The 12-case Archive Box has Exclusives of Piper, Tennant and Eccleston and it looks like both of the signed dual cards from the 6-case incentive.

That is designed to prop up the product, as it always is, but that's a lot of propping up. It will be interesting to see if the orders are worth it after the dust settles.

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
As a non-Who follower on the other side of the ocean, there seems very little here for me besides the big autographs, and that is all Scarce or Exclusive. Otherwise, I know Harry Lloyd and Struan Rodger from GoT and that's about it. Now Garfield and Tennant don't seem to have inscription cards.

I have been informed that these boxes won't be severely discounted off the SRP, as Series 11 & 12 were. If that is the case, I must withdraw. Wink

Now I think the incentives are quite telling because they are loaded for the multi-case buyers, who are the dealers and flippers. The 12-case Archive Box has Exclusives of Piper, Tennant and Eccleston and it looks like both of the signed dual cards from the 6-case incentive.

That is designed to prop up the product, as it always is, but that's a lot of propping up. It will be interesting to see if the orders are worth it after the dust settles.

The dual autographs are not in the archive box, they are separate. They say that if you purchase 12 cases they guarantee that you will get both of the duals and not two of the same one.

Was really surprised that there are no inscriptions in the archive box.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
The 12-case Archive Box has Exclusives of Piper, Tennant and Eccleston and it looks like both of the signed dual cards from the 6-case incentive.

The dual autographs are not in the archive box, they are separate. They say that if you purchase 12 cases they guarantee that you will get both of the duals and not two of the same one.

Was really surprised that there are no inscriptions in the archive box.

OK, I wasn't sure from the way it was worded on the website, and it doesn't really mention anything about not getting the same dual in 12 cases from what I see. Of course, I'm not inquiring about buying 12 cases either. Big Grin

The whole archive box designation should be dropped. An archive box contained all autograph cards in the checklist once upon a time. Now its got whatever RA wants to put into it and whatever is not there is exclusive to the packs. You assume archive box exclusives to be more limited than pack exclusives, but collectors never know the exact numbers and there is no way to prove anything anyway. Think whatever production you want as long as it's not numbered.

I have even come to dislike the overuse of the inscription autograph cards. A premium is expected, even though most inscriptions are the name of the show or character. They are impossible to consistently price, even with the same signer. They are frequently sloppy looking and often cause the signature to be crammed or shortened. Moreover, since they are demanded, they cease to be a rare and special favor from signer to fan.

Give me a clean, unadorned autograph card any day and stop calling it an archive box when there is more left out than put in.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
... Was really surprised that there are no inscriptions in the archive box.

Dealers who are trying to sell sealed boxes will be quite happy about it though.

The sketch cards look like 1:36 boxes, so very rare.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

I will consider myself lucky if I manage to get just a base set and a binder. I have sent for the free P1 Promo so I might just end up with that.

regards

John

Well, following my comment above I have received an offer from a UK dealer of a base set and binder which I have accepted. It appears that my comment was read and acted upon for which I am very grateful and fortunate.

Many thanks "Mr Dealer"

regards

John