Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
In case people haven't noticed, a release date of 4th May is on the Rittenhouse website.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
Along with a series 1-4 set due 2023,

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So RA is already releasing inscription autograph cards in their first WHO set. Normally they do the Full Bleed and/or Bordered design for the first signings and then come back with the Dual, Gold or vertical (can't call it Valyrian) card.

Then they create a checklist with 100's of variant autograph cards and call the inscriptions the big box hit. Big Grin I wouldn't care, but most sellers price the inscriptions to carry a premium that they don't deserve in MHO. A common signer with an inscription is still a common signer.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Steve Charendoff recently posted this on the Rittenhouse boards:

"The revised release schedule should be posted shortly. After Star Trek Discovery Season 3, our next major product release will be Doctor Who Series 11 & 12 (May 4th), with autograph cards signed (all on-card signatures!) by Jodie Whittaker (The Doctor), Mandip Gill (Yaz), Sacha Dhawan (The Master), Patrick O'Kane (The Lone Cyberman), Jo Martin (The Fugitive Doctor), Alan Cumming (King James) and dozens of the cast members. The Umbrella Academy cards will be moved back to end of year, in all likelihood, since the show has not yet returned for season 3 on Netflix. We are excited for more cards for Game of Thrones and the new spinoff series House of the Dragon, as well as Star Trek TNG Inscriptions (3 inscription autos per box!), Star Trek Picard Season 2, Star Trek Strange New Worlds, and more Doctor Who! We've already gotten Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant on board to sign cards (again, all on-card signatures), and we're excited to do a "deep dive" into the 4 seasons/series in which those two portrayed The Doctor, in our next collection. Lots of great stuff ahead!!"

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
Getting Christopher Eccleston to sign cards is quite a surprise. Eek

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:

....and that's putting it mildly. Eek

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Great addition

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:

Great addition

His signature might be a bit disappointing as signatures go. I have a signed copy of his autobiography from 2019. The book was great, also dealing with the dementia of his father, as we were then starting the same journey it was poignant reading, but his signature...hmm... Roll Eyes Smile But, who knows, he might tidy and lengthen it for the cards....maybe...

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:

We are excited for more cards for Game of Thrones..."

Must be the only ones excited for that... Big Grin lol

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

Not such a surprise these days. He has been doing audiobooks for Big Finish as the Ninth Doctor for a little while. He still hasn't made his peace with the BBC but seems fine with other companies now.

https://www.bigfinish.com/rang...th-doctor-adventures

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
So RA is already releasing inscription autograph cards in their first WHO set. Normally they do the Full Bleed and/or Bordered design for the first signings and then come back with the Dual, Gold or vertical (can't call it Valyrian) card.

Then they create a checklist with 100's of variant autograph cards and call the inscriptions the big box hit. Big Grin I wouldn't care, but most sellers price the inscriptions to carry a premium that they don't deserve in MHO. A common signer with an inscription is still a common signer.
Sometimes those common signers turn into Hannah Waddinghams. Big Grin

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:

We are excited for more cards for Game of Thrones..."

Must be the only ones excited for that... Big Grin lol

I knew it because there are those big duals left out for Clarke, Harington, Headey and Dinklage. I'm sure RA got them, plus the many new, really common signers over the last three sets who only had one or two designs.

Me excited? Nope. Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane:
quote:

Sometimes those common signers turn into Hannah Waddinghams. Big Grin

Yes, she got mentioned in the cards to watch thread, but no one can recognize her. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

Not such a surprise these days. He has been doing audiobooks for Big Finish as the Ninth Doctor for a little while. He still hasn't made his peace with the BBC but seems fine with other companies now.

He is a great addition but I would have been more suprised had he not done a couple of UK conventions fairly recently. I always thought he was not pleased with the fandom, as he has always been a very serious actor, but having aired is dirty laundry, his 'beef' seems to be more with the BBC.
I didn't meet him at these show but from everything I've seen and heard, he seemed to be enjoying himself and interacting with the fans. That he came back to do another show almost immediately after his first ever, speaks to a positive experience for him I think.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:

Great addition

His signature might be a bit disappointing as signatures go. I have a signed copy of his autobiography from 2019. The book was great, also dealing with the dementia of his father, as we were then starting the same journey it was poignant reading, but his signature...hmm... Roll Eyes Smile But, who knows, he might tidy and lengthen it for the cards....maybe...

I agree, he has a very bad signature. Almost completely indecipherable.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I'll be interested how this set shapes up. Of course, it will be absolutely certain some autograph cards will be super limited and super silly prices, but being on-card I'm hoping to upgrade some of other actors/guest star autographs in my collection, as I'll never totally love sticker autographs.

The previous Doctor Who sets really covered a lot of signers, on stickers of course, including prior Doctors and some better known actors. So here's a couple of questions for WHO card collectors:

Besides having the first autographs of the current Doctor, what other new signers will probably fall into the silly prices catagory?

Because previous autograph cards were stickers on both numbered and unnumbered limited and more common cards and were pretty comprehensive in scope, do you think on-card RA signatures from repeat signers are going to automatically go for a premium over the TOPPS cards from the same people?

If so, for all signers, or just the main ones? And how much more might you think buyers would be willing to pay for on-cards instead of stickers as a premium?

Again if so, do you think that the RA cards with a premium price might encourage collectors to buy the older TOPPS cards as a cheaper alternative?

I'm not the Who fan I was in my youth, couldn't really get on with the reboot, but I'm always interested to see new cards put out. RA always do a quality job with all their properties so you'd think their version of any 'repeat' signers would be the first choice to have over sticker equivalents. But would collectors who went in hard on the Topps stuff want to buy much of the same stuff again?

I'm looking forward to seeing their auto card designs, no dought we'll see some full-bleeds, but am really only interested in classic signers/past doctors, i.e. Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann. Given how accessible all of those names are it would be real shame if the licence did not extend to Classic Who. Maybe last chance saloon for Tom Baker too.

That said, over the last two years I've had Tom, Colin and Sylvester each sign a Topps Signature Series base card because I thought they were a nice design for it and I liked that they used the classic 1996 movie logo.
At £20 each I'll happily make do with those if RA makes good quality common signers 'Extremely Limited' or whatever.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's nice to see actors whose signatures are the same now as they were 20 years ago Big Grin . Only real difference is the price , when I was doing Who conventions regularly if you bought one of their 8x10 photos for signing they would sign a trading card for free Smile .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Free would be better, but given how much most celebs charge at shows these days, £20 feels like they're doing you a favour! Big Grin

I think the last convention Tom did was LFCC Spring 2019. He did a shorter appearance on the Saturday and Showmasters were touting their typically overpriced Diamdond Passes at around £110. Autographs at £45, not that you could get near him without the pass. So a complete non-starter for me.
Later that year I used his send-in service through his website to get the card done. He signed exactly where requested with the pen I sent in, and personalised on the back. No-brainer at £20 when he could get away with charging a lot more.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:

if you bought one of their 8x10 photos for signing they would sign a trading card for free Smile .

Ah yes those were the days.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I've just seen the price of a box Eek

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, box prices have got a bit silly.
I've heard there is going to be 4 autographs per box, but everything else sounds like a 'normal' box(24 packs, 5 cards in a pack), but the box now costs nearly double what they did a couple of years ago.