Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Spotted this over on Blowout. This comes direct from 'BlowoutBuzz':

Rittenhouse preps Doctor Who packs for San Diego Comic-Con

Some Doctor Who Series 11-12 exclusives are coming to San Diego Comic-Con with Rittenhouse Archives later this month.

The company revealed its plans for a bonus-pack program at the show on Tuesday, and it's for fans who buy a UK Edition box (or case) of the recently released product at the event. It's also a move that will be in play for other upcoming shows, according to the company.

"We are pleased to announce a special program for upcoming comic-cons and other conventions, in which specially marked Doctor Who Series 11-12 trading card packs will be available with Doctor Who UK Edition Series 11-12 trading cards purchased at these in-person events," the company said. "The first event will be the San Diego Comic-Con."

Keep reading for the full details.

Buyers will get 12 bonus packs per case -- or one per box -- and each will include five cards. Inside each pack, available while supplies last, will be one autograph, one parallel and three base cards.

Who will be among the autographs? Some who you can find in standard packs ... but also two new autos for this promotion.

"We’ve randomly inserted exclusive bordered autograph cards signed by Sacha Dhawan (The Master)," read the company's announcement, "and Tosin Cole (Companion Ryan Sinclair) found only among these packs."

SDCC begins on July 21 and runs until July 24. A list of participating dealers at the show will be revealed in the coming weeks.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
My first reaction to this news was "who has all these boxes/cases of Series 11 & 12 UK edition"? I see at the bottom that it says participating dealers at SDCC.

Making exclusive packs for Cons isn't new. Breygent did it all the time. I really can't recall RA ever having this sort of promotion. It also seems to be only for the UK edition, which was 5000 boxes, same as the hobby edition. I don't know if that means that dealers or RA itself got stuck with more of them. These exclusive packs are tied to box purchases, so it's meant as an incentive to move product.

Anyway I picked up a 9 card autograph lot that was dumped at my LHS the other day for $40. Nobody I knew of course, but for that much it really doesn't matter. In the boxes it matters, and I think that's why they need a promotion. Will the exclusive packs have any Whittakers is the next question?

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
It was obvious to anyone living in the UK who had watched ( or not watched ) the last few years of Who that this set would not sell and so it seems this is what has happened.
They must now sell off the boxes to dealers at San Diego and create an incentive to make them buy them.
If they are cheap enough they should be able to move them at a show like that.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
I will get at least one box, but the only autographs in boxes I would really want are Jodie, Brett Goldstein, or Jo Martin. That said, I am a fan of Sacha Dhawan so would love to pull one of those.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I went out and got a couple of Julie Graham autograph cards. Given her notable TV work, and I watch a lot of Brit mysteries, I was very surprised to see how cheap they were for first certified signatures.

You have to have a few solid mid-tier hits in the $50 - $70 range to carry boxes at over $100 because you aren't going to find the highly limited big cards. You need better odds to get value from something. Almost as much as demand, I think this is what is lacking here. Just having 60 different signers doing 300 card variations means nothing if $12.95 will get you regulars and $19.95 will get you the inscriptions on 90% of them, assuming you even want anybody.

But I still say this is a pretty good product for autograph card collectors if you just like variety. The cards are very nice looking, the boxes are getting lower and individual hits are affordable. If it stays this way, most of the checklist is doable. That may not be good news for sellers, but I would rather get a nice cheap card of an actor I know like Graham, than see expensive cards that I also like, but won't buy just on the principle of it.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
I would say with the autograph list the imdb website is your friend.
There are people that look familiar and the name means nothing(even to British people watching lots of Brit TV) and then you realize what you've seen them in.

I picked up a Maxim Baldry for under £10 and he been in things like Years and Years and Strike Back, but more interesting is that he's playing Isidur in the new LOTR Rings of Power series.
There are several of those type of sleeper cards in this set.
Jacob Collins-Levy was King Henry VII in White Princess alongside Jodie Comer...it was a mostly awful series except for those two. But he's also been in the Witcher series.
Kevin Eldon, has been in all kinds of stuff, from The Last Kingdom to Sanditon.
Only slightly more money gets you Anjli Mohindra...she's been in things like The Bodyguard, Vigil and the recent fairly good series on Sky, The Lazarus Project.

I actually like looking for these little gems...and being at the cheaper end makes them even more fun.

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
Laura Fraser has been in a huge amount of film/TV including Breaking Bad, and her autograph card is one of the cheaper ones,

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Well after Brett Goldstein popped up as Hercules in the last Thor movie I figured I better pick one up.

Guess it was already popular due to something called Ted Lasso?

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sittin9duck:
..... I noticed Rittenhouse has Doctor Who Series 1-4 listed as an upcoming product for 2023 for those wanting past shows.

Now listed as being released 29 March 2023.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I went out and got a couple of Julie Graham autograph cards. Given her notable TV work, and I watch a lot of Brit mysteries, I was very surprised to see how cheap they were for first certified signatures.

You have to have a few solid mid-tier hits in the $50 - $70 range to carry boxes at over $100 because you aren't going to find the highly limited big cards. You need better odds to get value from something. Almost as much as demand, I think this is what is lacking here. Just having 60 different signers doing 300 card variations means nothing if $12.95 will get you regulars and $19.95 will get you the inscriptions on 90% of them, assuming you even want anybody.

But I still say this is a pretty good product for autograph card collectors if you just like variety. The cards are very nice looking, the boxes are getting lower and individual hits are affordable. If it stays this way, most of the checklist is doable. That may not be good news for sellers, but I would rather get a nice cheap card of an actor I know like Graham, than see expensive cards that I also like, but won't buy just on the principle of it.

I have the Julie Graham in my PC because I loved The Bletchley Circle. Rittenhouse, if you’re listening, we’d also like a Rachael Stirling in a future set. Smile

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane:
I have the Julie Graham in my PC because I loved The Bletchley Circle. Rittenhouse, if you’re listening, we’d also like a Rachael Stirling in a future set. Smile

I would like autograph cards from any recurring cast members of the "Bletchley" series, "Shakespeare and Hathaway", "Death in Paradise", "Brokenwood Mysteries", "Queens of Mystery", "New Tricks", "My Life is Murder", "Midsomer Murders", "Magpie Murders", "Whitechapel". "Ripper Street", "Above Suspicion" and probably a couple more UK crime shows I can't think of right now. "The Crown" would be good too. Big Grin

With only a few exceptions, Graham being a big one having appeared in both "Bletchley" and Queens of Mystery", almost none of them show up in shows with hobby product like "Game of Thrones" and "Doctor Who", even though they include signatures from a ton of actors I don't recognize from any past work. Someone should make a standalone of the stars of the BBC mystery shows like they did with Hammer films or something like that. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane:

I would like autograph cards from any recurring cast members of the "Bletchley" series, "Shakespeare and Hathaway", "Death in Paradise", "Brokenwood Mysteries", "Queens of Mystery", "New Tricks", "My Life is Murder", "Midsomer Murders", "Magpie Murders", "Whitechapel". "Ripper Street", "Above Suspicion" and probably a couple more UK crime shows I can't think of right now. "The Crown" would be good too. Big Grin

With only a few exceptions, Graham being a big one having appeared in both "Bletchley" and Queens of Mystery", almost none of them show up in shows with hobby product like "Game of Thrones" and "Doctor Who", even though they include signatures from a ton of actors I don't recognize from any past work. Someone should make a standalone of the stars of the BBC mystery shows like they did with Hammer films or something like that. Wink

I’d be interested in that.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sittin9duck:
....I noticed Rittenhouse has Doctor Who Series 1-4 listed as an upcoming product for 2023 for those wanting past shows.

They have updated their web-site with images of the Eccleston, Tennant and Piper cards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WOMBLE,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Those are nice looking Doctor Who signed cards. RA keeps trying to put out multiple design formats, but in my opinion the first ones, Full Bleed and Bordered, are the best and they should just change the photo for each release.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
On their message board, RA has mentioned Matt Smith will be signing cards for future sets.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
From the RA site:

DOCTOR WHO Series 1 Thru 4 Trading Cards. 4 Autograph Cards Per Box, including 1 Inscription Autograph Card Per Box! All Autographs Signed On-Card!

Autograph signers include Christopher Eccleston (The Doctor), David Tennant (The Doctor), Billie Piper (Rose Tyler), Freema Agyeman (Martha Jones), Camille Coduri (Jackie Tyler), Shaun Dingwall (Pete Tyler), Andrew Garfield (Frank), Annette Badland (Margaret Blaine), Dan Starkey (Commander Skorr), Jacqueline King (Sylvia Noble), Eric Loren (Dalec Sec), Tommy Knight (Luke Smith), Christine Cole (Lilith), Will Thorp (Toby Zed), Sarah Parish (Empress of the Racnoss), Sean Gilder (Sycorax Leader), Ryan Carnes (Laszlo), Christopher Ryan (General Staal) and many more!

Also look for randomly inserted Sketch Cards!

Set Composition: Base set features 156 cards, with 3 cards for each of the 13 episodes in each of the first four Series with Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant starring as the Ninth and Tenth Doctors! Photos and plot synopses for every episode!

Bonus sets include: Regular Autograph Cards (1:8 Packs); Inscription Autograph Cards (1:24 Packs); 156 GOLD TARDIS Foil-Stamped Parallel Base Cards (Numbered to 99 each); 156 RED TARDIS Foil-Stamped Parallel Base Cards (Numbered to 50 each); 48 Holiday Specials Cards – 6 cards for each of the 8 Specials (1:8 Packs); 9 Rose Tyler Companion Puzzle Cards (1:24 Packs); 9 Martha Jones Companion Puzzle Cards (1:24 Packs); 9 Donna Noble Companion Puzzle Cards (1:24 Packs); 9 The Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) Puzzle Cards (1:48 Packs); 9 The Doctor (David Tennant) Puzzle Cards (1:48 Packs); 22 Allies of the Doctor Cards (Approx. 1:12 Packs); 32 Adversaries of the Doctor Cards (Approx. 1:8 Packs); Hand-Drawn Sketch Cards by renowned artists, including Chris Meeks, Huy Truong, Kevin Graham, Paul Shiers, Norman Jim Faustino, Tirso Llaneta, et al.

The dual autograph incentive cards look like they will be highly sought after.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Where I am, Series 11 & 12 boxes were deeply discounted, less than half of stated retail. I wound up buying a few over a long period of time. They stayed on the shelf with little interest except for me. I didn't get The Doctor either.

The key here will be the actual cost when you see the cards on hand, not what you see on the website.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Still no indication as to how limited the main cards will be (although I could guess). One box won't get a base set and the chase sets are way too difficult. The price point has stopped me buying boxes.

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I may settle for a base set and possibly a chase set or two depending on price.

Did having a US box and UK box make any difference with the previous series? I certainly never saw a box here in the UK going cheaply which is due to lack of a an importer which has been a problem for over 10 years now. The only boxes I get these days have a complete base set in them and some even have a lot more especially if I get them via Kickstarter.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Still no indication as to how limited the main cards will be (although I could guess). One box won't get a base set and the chase sets are way too difficult. The price point has stopped me buying boxes.

I doubt the headline actors will be ridiculously rare, as they have signed case incentives, but what dealers may charge is another story.

RA have been doing very hard to complete chase sets for years, it's more of a concession to dealers than for collectors to have spare cards to trade with. Still, it's strange for them to cut out the Christmas specials, anyone who watches the show on iPlayer or has the DVD sets regards them as part of the regular run.